Any HD650 owners go back to the HD600?
Aug 17, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, i have both but i keep reaching for the 600 more than the 650.

X2 when I had them both. Someone else reaches for my 650's now.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 43
OP for the reasons that you mentioned (Dark, too much bass, too little treble), I prefer the HD600.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The foam has a purpose, do not remove it.

Agreed ...

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I started out with a 650 and eventualy found myself owning 580s.
600smile.gif

Still got 580's ...
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 43
I don't mean to hijack this thread and I only hope to add some insight on a personal basis. But what types of music are you all listening to that prefer the 600's over the 650's, and vise versa?

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #21 of 43
I've got both but generally prefer the 650. I've got decent amps and maybe that makes some difference in terms of controlling the 650 bass.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to hijack this thread and I only hope to add some insight on a personal basis. But what types of music are you all listening to that prefer the 600's over the 650's, and vise versa?

Still not digging them
frown.gif

The lows/mids are a lot more powerful on the HD650's then the HD600's. It's well controlled and textured, but it's just not my thing. I live for Hi's. They're a bit drowned out and veiled with the boosting of the low end.

Second, I don't find them as comfortable. They clamp a lot harder then the HD600's. For most people this might not be a big issue, but for me it is, because:

1. I have a big head and a square jaw, and the lower end of the pad ends up against my jawbone in such a way and with just enough pressure that the most comfortable way to wear them is slack-jawed. It feels ridiculous.

2. They clamp just tight enough for me that the foam in the right driver touches my ear. Because of (1) the headphones shift a bit on my head, rubs against my ear, and drives me insane. I have them set up exactly like my old HD600's, the bit of extra pressure is enough to make contact.

I feel bad about returning these, especially to a company I want to support, but if by the end of the week something doesn't click they are going back
frown.gif

As for music, I listen to a bit of everything. I've been mainly auditioning them with more rockish albums (311 "Grassroots," Tool "10,000 days," Dream Theater "Octavarian," Matisyahu "Shake off the Dust... Arise!," NiN "Year Zero.") and two albums that I like to audition with (Ultrasone's Demo CD, Noir OST 1).

I'm not saying they don't do some things better then the HD600's. The base on Ultrasone's Organ track is mind-blowing, I did not know that headphones could produce Base that powerful, and the texture on the guitars on "grassroots" is much more delicious. If it wasn't for the ergonomics issue I think I might be tempted to give them a bit more of a chance.

Aug 18, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 43
i too own both the 650's & 600's....and also the beyer 880's(i'm only interested in supraaural cans)

to me the best way to describe their differences is the cliche "each has their own strengths". I find sometimes each set of cans sounds better than the other on different songs. In fact with my '04 mohr's crossfeed, i also find that some songs sound better with crossfeed...while other's sound better with it turned off. I can't seem to find one permutation that is "perfect" with everything....and i doubt i ever will. But, that still doesn't stop me from wondering about whether some things will enable me to obtain what i seek... the other senny aftermarket cables (oelbach, cardas, zu, etc)...recabling the 880's....balanced vs non balanced.... or a new amp like an HR-2 or even simply upgrading to headroom's new '06 max modules.

But, having said that, in general....

i prefer the 650's bottom end, but find it less "emotional" or involving in the mid/high end...they tend not to give me shivers/tingles

i prefer the 880's high end...especially the soundstage...it's huge and airy...cavernous...

overall, most of the time i'm wearing the 600's with stefan aa cable....although they're not perfect, they certainly get close to it most of the time...they seem to be a solid middle ground between the 650's & 880's....

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 43
Rock, hard and snotty, for the 600 over the 650.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #25 of 43
What happened to your 600s that they "broke"? Is there any way they can be repaired?

I bought a new pair of 600s a year ago, and sadly they didn't sound anything like an older pair which I still continue to use. I wondered if the new 600s didn't actually use 650 drivers because they sounded much more like 650s than they did my older 600s. The sound of those new 600s didn't have any of the "magic" of my older pair.

You might be happier if you could restore your old ones to working order depending on how broken they are.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #26 of 43
@Steven Murphy

Wouldn't surprise me one bit
frown.gif
We already know they've stopped tooling some HD600 parts, I can't imagine that having two separate processes for what's essentially the same driver is profitable.

For how they broke though, the info is here. A head-fi member who runs a small shop has offered to look at them, I'm crossing my fingers.

After listening to them a couple more hours though I'm now almost certain they're going back, if only for the ergonomic issues. I would never take my HD600's off when I was at my computer, and my HD650's have been sitting on my desk whenever I'm not consciously auditioning them. My body is telling me something
frown.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 43
About a year ago, some 600 'refurbs' did indeed have 650 drivers... quite a dissapointment, but it does raise the probability that some prefer some sort of hybrid, without knowing it. No idea if this is still the case, or for how long it may have been the case.

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #28 of 43
If you are not happy, and it doesn't sound like you are, there is not much sense in hanging on to them and trying to force yourself to love them. And loving them is what its all about, isn't it?
600smile.gif

I wouldn't feel bad about hurting the dealer's feelings. Swap them for some new 600s and give them a go.

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 43
Chu, yes, yes, the HD600 is more comfortable than the HD650, and for exactly the reasons that you cite!

This is controversial - I've seen posts where people insist that the body of both phones is the same or similar, and therefore the fit "should be identical." Well, nonsense!

And it's not just blockheads - us pinheads feel the tightness of the 650 as well!

I listen to all kinds of music with the 600 and 650. I like the 600 with all but the most poorly recorded crap. It does best with fine recordings. The 650 seems to do best with poorly recorded pop music - compressed stuff, pop rock done with early transistor technology in the 1960's, early multi-tracked overly-processed stuff. The 650 makes poor recordings better but, unfortunately, I think it makes good recordings less involving.

I also notice a bit of boredom with music in general after long sessions with the 650. After a month of heavy 650 use, music is not as much of an interest to me. I find that distressing. That doesn't happen with heavy 600 use. I wonder if anybody else notices that?

I'd guess the 650 is better for background listening, perhaps while working??

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #30 of 43
I suppose that's one way of looking at things. I really don't see the purpose in spending 250-300 dollars on a headphone to use for background music. From my experience with the 650, I don't find it to be technically superior at all. I've heard it on essentially low fi set ups to very high end set ups, run balanced, single ended and to me I still prefer the 580/600 signature as it is much more balanced, whereas the 650 does have a bass emphasis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back