Any HD650 owners go back to the HD600?
Aug 18, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peeped in here a bit and 3 minutes later....AWAY I go.

All I can say is good luck Team Sennheiser!
alphaosiris.gif

Troll?

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilhole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Peeped in here a bit and 3 minutes later....AWAY I go.

All I can say is good luck Team Sennheiser!
alphaosiris.gif

Team Sennheiser is doin' just fine, thank you!
biggrin.gif

....you really should stick around and read a little more. You may wish to upgrade someday!
600smile.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also notice a bit of boredom with music in general after long sessions with the 650. After a month of heavy 650 use, music is not as much of an interest to me. I find that distressing. That doesn't happen with heavy 600 use. I wonder if anybody else notices that?

X2. When I had them both I noticed the boredom with 650 on some music whereas it's not the case with 600. So yes, I am keeping the 600 not 650.
600smile.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #35 of 43
Ok, I am going to send the HD650's back tomorrow, and trying to find a pair of HD600's that don't use the HD650 drivers. My question is -- how to tell.

Below is a picture of my HD600 and HD650 drivers (warning, HUGE pictures). The visual difference is pretty obvious. I'm wondering though if the visual difference is the driver itself, or if the HD650 has additional manufacturing steps that is giving the white color -- and thus not an accurate visual cue.

http://pacifistguild.org/media/uploa...0 Driver 2.jpg
http://pacifistguild.org/media/uploa...river2.jpg.jpg

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I am going to send the HD650's back tomorrow, and trying to find a pair of HD600's that don't use the HD650 drivers. My question is -- how to tell.

Below is a picture of my HD600 and HD650 drivers (warning, HUGE pictures). The visual difference is pretty obvious. I'm wondering though if the visual difference is the driver itself, or if the HD650 has additional manufacturing steps that is giving the white color -- and thus not an accurate visual cue.

http://pacifistguild.org/media/uploa...0 Driver 2.jpg
http://pacifistguild.org/media/uploa...river2.jpg.jpg

It's NOT the driver itself, it's accoustic dampening material in the driver housing.
I once started a thread about it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233239
There's some photos in there, which easily shows the difference. In the first two you can also tell what the driver itself looks like, because it's missing in the photo on the right side.

Sennheiser changed the material from silk to a metal fabric during the production run.
According to an Sennheiser engineer i spoke to, there's no difference between the two accoustically.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #39 of 43
Before my break from Head-Fi I had the 650/Mobius combo. I had a couple of different amps in rotation. I ended up going back to the 600/Cardas combo.
Now that I got "hooked" again. I bought a used set of 600s and a Cardas with the mini end. I use this with my RSA Hornet. They just sound right. I listen to mostly jazz.

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's NOT the driver itself, it's accoustic dampening material in the driver housing.
I once started a thread about it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233239
There's some photos in there, which easily shows the difference. In the first two you can also tell what the driver itself looks like, because it's missing in the photo on the right side.

Sennheiser changed the material from silk to a metal fabric during the production run.
According to an Sennheiser engineer i spoke to, there's no difference between the two accoustically.

Thanks for the info RG... Mine seem to be a hybrid with some of the white material around the drivers only (see above pic)... I doubt, however, that there are no sonic differences between the two, since there are big differences between the materials used.

I remember talking to the Beyer Tech about the 2005s DT880s. He told me there was little difference between them, except clamping force, which increased the bass on the '05s, since they used the same drivers. I found that to be far from the truth, however, when I compared them myself. I ended up kept the '03s and sending the '05s to a family member in Charlottesville.

USG

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info RG... Mine seem to be a hybrid with some of the white material around the drivers only (see above pic)... I doubt, however, that there are no sonic differences between the two, since there are big differences between the materials used.

I remember talking to the Beyer Tech about the 2005s DT880s. He told me there was little difference between them, except clamping force, which increased the bass on the '05s, since they used the same drivers. I found that to be far from the truth, however, when I compared them myself. I ended up kept the '03s and sending the '05s to a family member in Charlottesville.

USG

The white stuff you're refering to is actually not around the driver, but behind it. It's some sort of fleece. The driver is the same in all HD650 models, the only thing that changed is the fabric in the housing around the driver.
unbenannt1pt3.jpg

As you can see in the picture, on the left the driver's in place, and in the right one it's not. So the white stuff is actually part of the driver module

Your version is simply the "old" one with silk. It would look like this opened up:
unbenannt1pt3ho0.jpg

Since i don't have a camera with me now, i simply photoshoped the driver from the left to the right housing. And the white hole on the left side gives a good vision of the dimensions of the driver module. It can be simply moved out of the housing.

Aug 18, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

This is controversial - I've seen posts where people insist that the body of both phones is the same or similar, and therefore the fit "should be identical." Well, nonsense!

It shouldn't be controversial....even reviews of the HD650 point to Sennheiser using tighter metal bands for the headband. The plastic/carbon bits are the same for both models.

Quote:

I listen to all kinds of music with the 600 and 650. I like the 600 with all but the most poorly recorded crap. It does best with fine recordings. The 650 seems to do best with poorly recorded pop music - compressed stuff, pop rock done with early transistor technology in the 1960's, early multi-tracked overly-processed stuff. The 650 makes poor recordings better but, unfortunately, I think it makes good recordings less involving.

I have to disagree with you there. My HD650s sound best with my classical SACDs. Poorly recorded things sound muddy and less involving on the HD650s. If I listen to poorly compressed rock, it's time for Grados: which accentuate the narrower range that pumped up music has.

The two genres that the HD650s excel at are large symphony orchestras and ambient electronica/ trip hop. They're especially good with symphonies because of their soundstage and even tonality. I find the slight treble spike with the HD600s to narrow their soundstage a bit....making them suited for smaller ensembles.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #43 of 43
I like all three models 580/600/650 as all sounding similar but do different things very well. I am getting a true fondness for the 580's as they are burning in. The 600's are probably my best but as I'm learning perhaps not. As different cables do very differenty things the cable used very much adds the character of the headphone used. I tried my Equinox (which I use on the 650)on my 580's and the 580's sound with the Equinox is not very far off than the Equinox with the 650's. I did this experiment with the Cardas which I use on my 600's. With the Cardas on the 580's they sound like the 600's with Cardas. The cable truely influences the character of the phones. The Sennheisser phones are my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back