Any happy 701 owners?
Jul 18, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #31 of 41
Try a balanced AKG-K701 with Headroom Balanced Desktop and a Desktop Power Supply. You will definitely like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon10.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #32 of 41
I second Bencrest's suggestion to give them a bit longer. I was able to compare my newish K701s (sub 200 hours) to a pair that was very burned in using the same amp (my HR Millet) and the sound improvement was very notable. I've not always been a big believer in burn in, but with these cans it is very necessary.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The k701 is not going to have low-end punch like Senn's or Grado's regardless of what you plug it into, that is just not their character. Their strong suit is texture/timbre/tonality and finesse, not brute force.

Perfect way to put it, I completely agree.

I think you should give them some more time and a better amp before you give up on them. It is so delicious, airy, and refined
smily_headphones1.gif
definitely a keeper in my opinion.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #37 of 41
Yes, I am a happy owner. I'm listening to them right now with a Millett Starving Student Hybrid Amp and they sound quite good actually being driven by a "low end" amp. The better the amp, the better they sound, but even with this little hybrid, they are superb. They took forever to burn in, and keep getting better and better in my opinion, since they still have less than 1000 hrs on them.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #39 of 41
Stock 701s with a SP Platinum sounds good depending on the recording. Plenty of amp. Being 50+ years old, I like the mid-treble hump.

HC

Jul 19, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by third_eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will also need better amplification for the 701. Portables cannot drive the 701 to their potential. The Apogee Duet was better than my Predator (which is among the best portables), which is why I ended up selling the Predator.

My Duet runs them okay; my Bryston even better. Oh, I'm very happy with my 701 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back