Any happy 701 owners?
Jul 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by roethlar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So bump the original rather than spam the forums like an annoying child looking for attention.
mad.gif

Kind of like making useless posts that are not helpful at all in any way?
He wasn't looking for attention (like you seem to be), he was looking for a better chance to get answers to his questions.
You could have been helpful and explained, that it is common etiquette in a forum not to cross thread with the same post. That's how you do things. Not belittling a poster.
rolleyes.gif

Now to the OP.
I think from what you say, a more powerful portable amp might help you out a bit. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I find the Practical Decices XM5 to be quite nice for the price you pay for it. It will have an easier time driving the 701s that the Headsix and I like the way it sounds too. It's not the best out there, but for the price it's great!
A TTVJ Millet Hybrid might also be a good choice. I haven't heard it myself, but since I am interested in one as well, I did some research, and it really seems to be a winner. It will also drive the 701s better than the Headsix. It's not cheap though.
Just some ideas for you to think about.

However, as mentioned before, you will not hear the full potential of those cans without a nice full size amp that will drive them properly.

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 41
Well I disliked the K701 out of my Rotel/Denon and Zero, but love it (after only 50hrs. burn-in) out of my MKIVse and especially the NAD. On the other amps it sounds lifeless and boring, but on the latter it sounds amazing!

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 41
I eq the lower end some, and the upper end very very little.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 41
I run my 701 out of the predator and lossless files from the 160gb classic, both the predator and the 701s have around 500 hrs and theya re just opening up. It is gorgeous and full. A better amp or more time or both might be helpful. Stick to it.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #24 of 41
The K-701 and HeadSix are not a good combination. I have both and don't like the sound at all. I'm a tube fiend, but find the K-701 awful without a fairly powerful tube amp. How much are you looking to spend on an amp? Also, you'll probably spend more than five hours a week listening when you get them amped correctly.
smily_headphones1.gif
. The K-701 is pretty good with a nice amp.

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 41
I owned the k701s originally and didn't want to use anything else when it came to classical music

Jul 17, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

I'm a tube fiend, but find the K-701 awful without a fairly powerful tube amp.

Lol, I swear you say every headphone needs a good tube amp.

Another vote for loving the k701s. Just gorgeous sound. They're also very comfortable.

Jul 18, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #30 of 41
Define happy ?
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back