Any Fitness enthusiasts (Gymrats)?
Aug 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #31 of 41
I lived the pseudo-amateur bodybuilder life in my early 20s but decided I wasn't going to end up competing and the intense focus on training and dieting ultimately ended up being more of a burden than something I enjoyed. This must be about 10 years ago.

457365_10151350023995613_2041924740_o~2.jpg

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #32 of 41
I'm going to say it again: there is no "best" cardiovascular exercise to lose weight.

I appreciate that jogging is a very accessable way to do cardio, but if another exercise, such as rowing, burns more calories per hour, is jogging the BEST? What if you can't do a particular exercise due to an existing medical condition? Boxing will potentially burn more calories per hour than jogging, is it the best?

There is no best. It is all a function of calories ingested vs. calories burned. Having worked in the fitness industry for 25 years this is a bit of a sore subject for me. A better way to say it would be, "I find that [exercise, cardio, ect] worked well for me."

As far as weight training burning more calories than cardiovascular, that is based on the potential addition of muscle tissue, which burns additional energy even at rest. The 3:1 ratio is not based purely on time spent.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 41
I'm going to say it again: there is no "best" cardiovascular exercise to lose weight.

I appreciate that jogging is a very accessable way to do cardio, but if another exercise, such as rowing, burns more calories per hour, is jogging the BEST? What if you can't do a particular exercise due to an existing medical condition? Boxing will potentially burn more calories per hour than jogging, is it the best?

There is no best. It is all a function of calories ingested vs. calories burned. Having worked in the fitness industry for 25 years this is a bit of a sore subject for me. A better way to say it would be, "I find that [exercise, cardio, ect] worked well for me."

As far as weight training burning more calories than cardiovascular, that is based on the potential addition of muscle tissue, which burns additional energy even at rest. The 3:1 ratio is not based purely on time spent.
The "best" is going to be dependent on the person, its whatever brings you back to it over and over again.

But if we're talking about the most efficient way to burn fat, its running. If you look at the ultramarathoners like Cameron Hanes, he reported a 30 lb loss in a single race, granted a good amount of that might be water but you can't lose 30lbs of water and not die.

Calorie burning is not the same as fat burning, two completely different metrics. You have to remember calorie burning is a vague estimation, its the amount of heat generated when the chemical reactions metabolize the foods you eat and the heat generated when you exert physical activity. There is a huge variation in how many calories someone will burn doing a specific activity, it depends on fitness level, age, vitals, genetics, etc.

Boxing for an hour may burn more calories than running for an hour but theres a reason why boxers and mma fighters do alot of road work, they use it to keep their weight down and build stamina. I guarantee you that if I lift weights 7 days a week for 2-3 hours a day, I will never lose as much fat vs doing the same on excercise bike or running while on the same diet, I have tried both.

In my personal experience, I mentioned that my homeostatic weight is 225lbs without diet or excercise. I can hold at about 180-190lbs with good musculature and healthy vitals, to get below 180, I have to literally starve myself and ramp up the cardio. In my lifetime, I've lost the weight from 225-230 to 180lbs about 12-13 times, because of injuries, car accidents, covid, I've had to stop excercising and my body always goes back to 225lbs and very quickly too. Not everyone is like me, some people are hard gainers, easy gainers, everyone is different. Then theres also genetic variations and anomalies, ie my friend's dad had a metabolic condition where he could not absorb fat properly, he ate so much fatty meat all the time and was about 110lbs from high school till he died. They are constantly compiling a list of known SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms), which are variations in genes present in at least 1% of the population.

Its very difficult to quantify these things in a formula because of these variations. The 3:1 ratio may work for some people but not everyone.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #34 of 41
The "best" is going to be dependent on the person, its whatever brings you back to it over and over again.

But if we're talking about the most efficient way to burn fat, its running. If you look at the ultramarathoners like Cameron Hanes, he reported a 30 lb loss in a single race, granted a good amount of that might be water but you can't lose 30lbs of water and not die.

Calorie burning is not the same as fat burning, two completely different metrics. You have to remember calorie burning is a vague estimation, its the amount of heat generated when the chemical reactions metabolize the foods you eat and the heat generated when you exert physical activity. There is a huge variation in how many calories someone will burn doing a specific activity, it depends on fitness level, age, vitals, genetics, etc.

Boxing for an hour may burn more calories than running for an hour but theres a reason why boxers and mma fighters do alot of road work, they use it to keep their weight down and build stamina. I guarantee you that if I lift weights 7 days a week for 2-3 hours a day, I will never lose as much fat vs doing the same on excercise bike or running while on the same diet, I have tried both.

In my personal experience, I mentioned that my homeostatic weight is 225lbs without diet or excercise. I can hold at about 180-190lbs with good musculature and healthy vitals, to get below 180, I have to literally starve myself and ramp up the cardio. In my lifetime, I've lost the weight from 225-230 to 180lbs about 12-13 times, because of injuries, car accidents, covid, I've had to stop excercising and my body always goes back to 225lbs and very quickly too. Not everyone is like me, some people are hard gainers, easy gainers, everyone is different. Then theres also genetic variations and anomalies, ie my friend's dad had a metabolic condition where he could not absorb fat properly, he ate so much fatty meat all the time and was about 110lbs from high school till he died. They are constantly compiling a list of known SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms), which are variations in genes present in at least 1% of the population.

Its very difficult to quantify these things in a formula because of these variations. The 3:1 ratio may work for some people but not everyone.
you are 100% correct on the first line. The next statement on how running is most efficient way to burn fat. Not only is that incorrect, it also flies in the face of your first sentence.

How do you determine ’most efficient?’ Most calories burned per time spent? Not running. Most percentage of fat calories vs total calories burned during time spent? That’s based on heart rate and other factors, not activity based.

How are you determining this?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #35 of 41
you are 100% correct on the first line. The next statement on how running is most efficient way to burn fat. Not only is that incorrect, it also flies in the face of your first sentence.

How do you determine ’most efficient?’ Most calories burned per time spent? Not running. Most percentage of fat calories vs total calories burned during time spent? That’s based on heart rate and other factors, not activity based.

How are you determining this?
Amount of fat lost.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #36 of 41
Amount of fat lost.
So what are the other factors? Time spent? For example, are you saying the best is based on amount of fat lost in the least amount of time?

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #37 of 41
So what are the other factors? Time spent? For example, are you saying the best is based on amount of fat lost in the least amount of time?
What other factors would there be?

It would be based on the amount of fat burn with the least amount of time and effort.

If the goal is to lose fat, I'm saying the most efficient way to do this is low-medium intensity in the form of cardio for a prolonged period of time, in particular running, excercise bike works well too but is not as effective as running. Swimming is better but not everyone has access to that or knows how to swim.

Aug 14, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 41
It’s upping your metabolism simple as that. Yes lean muscle mass increases the burning of calories after it’s created. But truly everything has to be in order for that metabolic state to occur. Chromium needs to be present as well as building the calorie furnace. The problem with running is it takes forever and does burn calories, except building muscle works in a different way as there is more living tissue to take care of when your asleep. Normally it’s a combination of cardio and weight training which is recommended, as both have synergy into fat loss. Obviously diet plays a big role to, but it’s very up in the air, as far as the best diet. One of the craziest sports drinks which I used to drink while cycling was Apple-cider vinegar and honey. Thus the vinegar and honey enabled fat burning as a replacement for the bodies carbohydrate use. But for me personally cycling was easier to lose weight than running as I could be on the bike hours and hours, where running was only a short time due to my build. But remember too, when you start exercise the body first taps into sugars then later later finds it’s fuel in slow-burning energy from carbohydrates. The issue is training you body to become used to an energy source then utilizing it. Sprinting burns up sugars more bike riding, where long repetitive 100 to 200 mile rides slowly tap into carbohydrates and in turn the bodies fat stores. But everything must be in place to slowly access those fat stores, meaning rest, vitamins or a good diet, sleep and the correct intensity. IMO There are optimal heart rates for fat burning.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #40 of 41
When I was visiting Paris several years ago some guys were using steps as their gym, they took it in turns to carry each other up them.

This photo was taken a few flights up. Fitness and Low Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) https://hrtdoctorsgroup.com/trt-online-replacement-therapy/low-testosterone/ go hand in hand for many. When experiencing low testosterone levels, maintaining fitness goals can be challenging. TRT, under proper medical supervision, can aid in restoring testosterone levels, potentially enhancing muscle mass, energy, and overall performance during workouts. However, it's crucial to consult healthcare professionals before considering TRT. Combining a fitness regimen with TRT, if deemed appropriate, may positively impact strength, endurance, and recovery. Remember, a holistic approach to fitness, including proper nutrition, exercise, and medical guidance, contributes to optimal health and well-being, potentially boosting the benefits of TRT within a fitness routine.

So strong guy! I like fitness too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back