Any Fitness enthusiasts (Gymrats)?
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 41
If you can’t join a gym and you live in a major city you can try to walk up many flights of stairs. That’s actually a good work out.

If you get really good at walking up many many flights of stairs, it increases your endurance in case you visit the Grand Canyon which can be physically demanding.

The suburban car culture in the U.S. has made many people inactive and in my opinion has weakened the bodies.

I’ve been riding my bicycle more often now and riding up hill can be a brutal workout but it’s good and somewhat mentally therapeutic.

Sep 7, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 41
Speaking of bicycles….You can get a pretty nice bicycle for around $300. My budget mountain bike is from Dicks Sporting Goods store for $279 plus tax.

Bike riding can be dangerous so I recommend doing it in quiet residential streets. I also ride around in an empty parking lot at an abandoned mall where it’s safe. Of course if you live in the Netherlands, you are lucky where bike riding is much safer on the public paths.

It’s fantastic exercise. And bikes are relatively easy to maintain.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 41
Very important to at least as a minimum to simply walk a lot.

In many environments in America, the simple act of walking down a street is not normal for many people since we live in a car society and many street designs are built for cars…..not for pedestrians.

Heres an interesting video on why it can be hard to walk outside. The youtuber uses Houston as an example but this applies to other cities as well. …..Of course not every American city will apply to this example.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 41
Being a person who has lost weight before let me give you some advice. Exercising daily can have many health benefits including loosing weight and staying fit. However, exercise is cannot give results without dieting. Even if you workout like a madman everyday if your diet is bad you will see very little if any progress. You really want to focus on having a calorie deficit. That means consuming less that your body requires. As a beginner you don't need to count your calories but you have to try and eat in a way that you are getting less calories that you need. But you also can't go overboard with cutting calories otherwise you could rebound very easily. I recommend you to read this article https://betterme.world/articles/how-many-squats-a-day/ .
I don't know how much weight you looking to loose but the amount of exercise you suggested is good but you wont see much progress since it all depends what you eating. After starting this exercise routine you might start eating more than you should due to being tired or hungry and that could mean you actually see a negative result. Hope that helps.
Yes, calorie deficit is where it matters. That's the real control of weight. Exercise helps burn additional, and good for well being. But, it isn't the significant factor. You can still overeat and exercise heavily and not lose weight.

Being overweight comes with slew of health problems. It's best to keep weight under control for optimal health. If you don't keep weight under control by a certain age, it's going to get worse and worse, and many doctor visits with bad news. Sleep apnea, which will further make you feel worse, and cause other health issues.

I stopped doing weights. I just focus on cardio and stretching, and eating right. I just go for the practical.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 41
There are gym workouts that can make you weight gain like Bench Press. The best for weight loss is walking and jogging.
I hate to call you out, but this is not correct. Weight loss is based on calories burned vs calories ingested. There is no "best" exercise, but I can tell you that walking is often an inefficient way to lose weight, as the calories burned from an exercise your body is already well adapted to is minimal for the time invested.

Increasing muscle mass helps your body burn more calories while at rest and in motion. A very loose and general thought is that proper strength training burns 3x more energy overall than the same time invested in cardiovascular training, although they both have their place in your health.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 41
This is my other hobby.

Been lifting weights for 27 years. Have been as heavy as 240lbs and as light as 163 llbs, I'm 6'1, currently about 185-190lbs. My homeostatic weight without excercise and diet is 225lbs.

When I was younger, my focus was more bodybuilding but as I've gotten older the focus is more towards a mix of body building, posture correction, preservation of joints and overall health.

Favorite excercise is probably overhead dumbell tricep press / extension, when I was younger, I was able to do 135lb for 12 reps. Working my way back up but will probably never be able to hit that again.

Edited my face with an "old" app.
1565367931224.jpg

Aug 13, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #24 of 41
Gym....4x a week.. 90mins per visit.....for years. MT-TF.
M-T im up at 4:30a.. And Tues and Fri im up at 2am.
I use machines and free weights in the gym, no Bike or Tread
That is 33% of my workout, each time.

the rest is yoga & (2) light 4 Kilo Dumbbells before the gym, then advanced cardio carrying 40lbs (18 kilos) + pull-ups, lots of stairs... after the gym.

My 3 days off... W-S-S are not really. I just dont go to the gym or use stairs on those days.

IF you are not going to the gym, then you are making a mistake.
Sign up, stick with it, and in a month or 2, it becomes the best thing you've ever done for yourself.
Its a fountain of youth and health.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #25 of 41
This is my other hobby.

Been lifting weights for 27 years. Have been as heavy as 240lbs and as light as 163 llbs, I'm 6'1, currently about 185-190lbs. My homeostatic weight without excercise and diet is 225lbs.

When I was younger, my focus was more bodybuilding but as I've gotten older the focus is more towards a mix of body building, posture correction, preservation of joints and overall health.

Favorite excercise is probably overhead dumbell tricep press / extension, when I was younger, I was able to do 135lb for 12 reps. Working my way back up but will probably never be able to hit that again.

Edited my face with an "old" app.
Is that you Carter? lol

What I don't like about weight lifting is that it makes your body stiff and stiffness is not good for your overall wellbeing in the long run. Make sure that you stretch properly. Some of those guys on the muscle mags probably can't even move their arms. lol

I think the ideal health is a gymnist build with the flexability. A person like me will never reach that peak state. Or a swimmer has the ideal body build.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #26 of 41
Is that you Carter? lol

What I don't like about weight lifting is that it makes your body stiff and stiffness is not good for your overall wellbeing in the long run. Make sure that you stretch properly. Some of those guys on the muscle mags probably can't even move their arms. lol

I think the ideal health is a gymnist build with the flexability. A person like me will never reach that peak state. Or a swimmer has the ideal body build.
Lol I think I'm bigger than Carter, it doesn't show well in pics because I hold alot of body fat and the proportions make me look smaller. What can I do, I'm naturally fat.

Depends on what kind of excercises you do. For range of movement and flexibility, there are excercises that you can do to that stretch the muscle during the movement, these types actually stimulate the greatest amount of growth, for instance dumbell pullovers, lat pulldowns, alot of pilates excercises are like this. I can squat 315lbs and I can put my foot behind my head

You have to understand, the guys on the muscle mags are on all kinds of gear. Whenever you hear these hollywood guys say they were on a hardcore chicken and broccoli diet, it usually means alot of PEDs and teams of doctors. Gymnasts are usually on stuff too lol.

Its not a competition unless you make it a competition. Some people were gifted with excellent genetics, most of us were not, just be the best you. Not everyone is going to have an Arnold chest.

Perhaps your ideal is a swimmer's physique, that is not my ideal, everyone is different. I don't have any particular goal or ideal, just mainly for health and personal accomplishments, it really doesn't matter because I'm never going to be on a muscle mag cover. I would like to have a six pack at least once in my life but it wasn't meant to be, even at a 31 inch waist and 163lbs doing crazy ab work and I still couldn't get a six pack.

I'd like a physique like the Rock but thats not gonna happen, gonna be chasing alot of dragons if you try, not dissimilar to finding the perfect sound in this hobby. I know it sounds corny but we just have to work with the cards we were dealt and try to be the best of version of ourselves.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #27 of 41
Can't stand the gym. Bores the hell out of me. Two-time Ironman finisher, multiple marathon finisher including 2 x Boston.

These days, in my mid-50s, I tend to just run and cycle a lot, but not much racing due to covid. Ran an easy 15km this morning.

I'm 178cm and about 71kgs, which is probably 6 or 7kgs less than when I was in my twenties. I don't really focus on the amount of food I eat, I just eat when I'm hungry and usually a large volume. Although, I've been vegan for 10 years, and that's probably been the single best thing I've done for my health and management of my weight.

Aug 14, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #28 of 41
There are gym workouts that can make you weight gain like Bench Press. The best for weight loss is walking and jogging.

The best way for me to lose weight is jogging.

I hate to call you out, but this is not correct. Weight loss is based on calories burned vs calories ingested. There is no "best" exercise, but I can tell you that walking is often an inefficient way to lose weight, as the calories burned from an exercise your body is already well adapted to is minimal for the time invested.

Increasing muscle mass helps your body burn more calories while at rest and in motion. A very loose and general thought is that proper strength training burns 3x more energy overall than the same time invested in cardiovascular training, although they both have their place in your health.

Good points, and I would say the word that I would've added to the quote above is 'Quickly' with relation to weight loss and jogging. Walking a few miles each day for around 6 months never gave me noticeable results losing weight.
I don't run any more as it gives me lower back pain (improper shoes and running on hard surfaces were probably the main causes) and prefer to do squats now, high reps with a lightish weight. I read since that squatting (high reps) can be the equivalent to running for cardiovascular health benefits.

My biggest obstacle to keeping weight off, as someone mentioned above is beer, I try to have just one or two small bottles a day instead of four pints of heavy ale I was used to drinking at one time. I also eat lots of nuts, seeds and dried fruit instead of sugary treats, though nuts contain a lot of fat, but I believe it's easier for the body to deal with this than large amounts of sugar on a daily basis that can quickly send your body 'haywire'.

Not sure if it's true but I read that whilst filming a few people questioned Lou Ferrigno's large frame as being more of a hindrance in many respects (alluding all he was good for was lifting heavy weights) and he couldn't compete against a sprinter. So a short race was organised and much to everyone's surprise Lou won. His muscular chest and arms were said to have played a large part in propelling him forward. It isn't only your legs that help you win races.

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #29 of 41
32 years in the gym. Still have great times with it. There is something beyond wealth, beyond smarts and it’s there at the gym that the true test takes place. I’ll maybe be permanently hurt some day? Already I’ve more injuries than I can remember, but they go away. I simply can’t stop, as it’s who I am. I can still deadlift 398 pounds, but it’s funny as 30 years ago I could also only deadlift 398 lbs? But I love being strong, just the confidence that comes mentally with the sport. I used to ride bikes, but a tree fell on me while riding, now my Wife will not let me ride. So....the gym is all I have.

I’m 100% natural, not even protein powder, just diet and rest.

Edit-stretching:
It’s totally true that a person needs stretching combined with weights. I’m very limited with my ability for movement. I almost can’t do anything except push and pull heavy weight. That is a word of warning, that if you don’t do enough stretches, you’ll end up with limited range of motion in the end. I would maybe take a year of intense stretching to get back to the abilities I had in youth, maybe never?

Edit:
Just deadlifted 440 libs, but I’ll probably never do more 400lb again, as that is normally my max?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #30 of 41
The best way for me to lose weight is jogging.

Good points, and I would say the word that I would've added to the quote above is 'Quickly' with relation to weight loss and jogging. Walking a few miles each day for around 6 months never gave me noticeable results losing weight.
I don't run any more as it gives me lower back pain (improper shoes and running on hard surfaces were probably the main causes) and prefer to do squats now, high reps with a lightish weight. I read since that squatting (high reps) can be the equivalent to running for cardiovascular health benefits.

My biggest obstacle to keeping weight off, as someone mentioned above is beer, I try to have just one or two small bottles a day instead of four pints of heavy ale I was used to drinking at one time. I also eat lots of nuts, seeds and dried fruit instead of sugary treats, though nuts contain a lot of fat, but I believe it's easier for the body to deal with this than large amounts of sugar on a daily basis that can quickly send your body 'haywire'.

Not sure if it's true but I read that whilst filming a few people questioned Lou Ferrigno's large frame as being more of a hindrance in many respects (alluding all he was good for was lifting heavy weights) and he couldn't compete against a sprinter. So a short race was organised and much to everyone's surprise Lou won. His muscular chest and arms were said to have played a large part in propelling him forward. It isn't only your legs that help you win races.
Jogging is definitely the best way to lose weight but as you mentioned it pounds on your joints. The problem is that some people are just not meant for jogging, like me. I tried reworking my gait and form so many times because its so effective in losing weight but my knees and back really take a pounding. Its not worth the damage it does to your joints at my age.

I tried and retried elliptical, stair master, and excercise bike. Excercise bike is the second best because its very easy and easy to do it everyday. Most reliable way to control your heart rate also. For fat loss you want low-medium intensity, keeping the heart rate around 130-140 (age dependent), this targets fat tissue as a source for energy. And must be done for a prolonged period of time, the longer its done, the greater the level of fat burn, I usually do an hour. Denver is theorhetically correct, the weight lifting does burn much more calories but its not as simple as just the calorie count. A calorie is a unit of heat measure, it measures how much heat is generated from a chemical reaction in our bodies. For instance, theres aerobic and anaerobic activities that burn calories but 1000 calories of fat burn vs 2000 calories of weight lifting is not going to net the same type of weight loss.

Beer is called liquid bread for a reason, ton of carbs. Careful with the dried fruits, they contain a ton of sugar. The body reacts to the sugar the same, whether it comes from candy or fruit, ie fructose (literally means fruit sugar in latin). The nuts and seeds contain alot of fat but they are mostly poly and mono unsaturated fats, which actually help reduce your overall fat and are healthy. Even the saturated fats are not all bad, like medium chain triglycerides, the body can use this form as immediate energy. Moderation is always key.

In my experience the worst things that cause fat gain is carbs, like flour, rice, beer, etc. The body breaks these down into sugar so it can be used in the body while also resulting in byproducts that cause alot of problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back