Any Fitness enthusiasts (Gymrats)?
Jul 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

mfenske

New Head-Fier
Any other dedicated workout folks here on the forums? How long have you been training? What kind of gym do you train at? Favorite thing to train? Most importantly what kind of headphones do you use?  I'll start:
  1. 13 years
  2. Crunch Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness in Beaverton, OR
  3. Back day. I'd kill for a Nautilus Pullover machine
  4. I'm currently going back and forth on this one. I prefer my Monoprice premium bluetooth headphones for convenience but those have been RMA'd due to the left driver no longer working. Since then I've been using a pair of Klipsch Image Ones.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 41
I was dedicated 2 years ago but I work alot of overtime now and want to maximize time with my son. I am still working out at home...sandbags, jump rope, sled, sprints, single dumbbell lifts (ie dumbell snatches), speed work via bands...
 - 15 Years, The first 8 years I thought I knew what I was doing. The last 7 I got into powerlifting while rehabing from a torn labrum.
 - Colliseum Gym, Queens, NY. One of the only gyms at the time to have stones, kegs, strongman tires, glute ham raise machine, monorack, various bars like a cambered squat bar, yoke bar...Man I miss that gym.
 - Max Effort Deadlift...Grip and Rip
 - Yuin PK3s

May 6, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 41
I do believe in exercise.

However........There was an interview with Bruce Springsteen and he says that these days, he only lightly exercises and he is more focused on his eating habits. I actually agree with him.

There was also an Arnold Schwarzenegger interview where he said that there are gym rats who are always fat even though they have big muscles. And he didn’t see the logic with that. I tend to agree with that sentiment too.

May 7, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 41
Gym is hell on earth. So incredible booring lifting weights and walking in the same place and checking yourself out in the mirror. I can´t stand even 5 minutes lol

Exercise is great which there is never enough of but try to be outdoors as much as possible. Cross country skiing, bicycles, golf. Will try SUP:s this sommer but want some air temperature for that :p

Modern bodybuilders nowaday are fat though. Growth hormone give pregnant bellys as everything grows not just muscles :p

May 16, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 41
I stretch "yoga" 40 mins every day.

4x a week, in addition, i do :

1. (2) 4 Kilo Dumbbell workout for 16 mins

2. Gym , 75 mins, including free weights and cable machines

3. 20 flights of stairs, carrying a 4 Kilo dumbbell

4. Aerobic workout for 10 mins using (2) 9 Kilo dumbbells. (20 lbs esch)

So, this is about 2+hrs of pretty intense workout including gym and stairs, 4x a week.

I take "off" on Wed and Weekends, except for the Yoga, which is every day.

Ive taken off exactly one day from this schedule in the last 10 yrs.

The Yoga is everyday since '2005.

May 17, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 41
I have started working out recently, so it is all new for me :D I also want to eat healthy, it is really hard. Do you take any vitamins or supplements, guys? What do you recommend? I like some of those I get from Canadian pharmacy, for example, and I think they are pretty good for me. Maybe you can give me more recommendations and tips on those. I would appreciate it so much!

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 41
I have started working out recently, so it is all new for me :D I also want to eat healthy, it is really hard

Readers.....

Trying to lose weight?
Dont eat after 6pm and drink a lot more water everyday.

Go back to a more simple diet.
This means, if its white, eat very little, as there is very little real food that is WHITE.

Are you a fan of lots of sweets? Then become a fan of apples, and oranges, and more fruit.
Learn to love a salad . Learn to add a lot more veggies to your diet.

Read labels on food boxes and cans. If it says "high fructose sugar", then dont eat it or drink it, ever. If it says "Hydrogenated oil", then dont eat it, ever.

And about that gym membership.
Do it at once, and go for life.
You'll live longer, you'll feel better and better month by month.
See, the trick is to understand........your body is an engine. And your blood is the fuel carrier. So, you add to your blood the foods that make the blood healthy, and you add the exercise to your body that makes the engine run its best.
If your blood is healthy, then so are you. If its not, then you are sick.
"Life is IN the Blood', and you keep your blood healthy by CHOICE..doing only what is good for your body.

Rules for In the gym.... for 1st Timers.

wear grey and black.
get some Nike's. The sell them used on Ebay, if you dont want to spend the big money for new ones.
If you wear orange, and green, and bright colored clothes.... and hi-socks,, then you have stated that you are brand new.....newbie :)
Serious health fit people wear grey and black in a gym, 99%.
See, the gym is a kind of health club. Its a place where people go to find their fountain of youth, again
And that is where you find it., as it was always waiting for you to find it.
You just didnt find it there yet.
Its waiting....

Reader, if you dont belong to a gym, then please sign up tomorrow.
Have you ever heard of the term or phrase....>"preventive maintenance"?
Well, when you invest time into your health, you are doing that... for yourself.
The gym is health insurance that really works.

So, if you are new to the gym....

Start with 30 mins... 3x a week.
Dont miss it. Make it a certainty.
The idea is to let the gym help you, and it can't if you play with it.
You have to be serious and go on the "gym days"...same time.

If you are brand new then it'll feel strange for about 3-4 days.
2 weeks into it, it'll feel like home. You'll see the same people there, working, working, doing their work.
You are not required to talk, and in fact, its best if you go there to work out.
Friendly is good, but noone is there to listen to you chatter.......WE are there to do our work.
Try to put that cell phone on hold while you are there.
Lets all join together, or as the T-shrit says....>"im here to work".
You are there to work on your HEALTH.
What is more important?

So, If you are new, do you want to make your body hard and look better, or do you just want to get in good good shape?

My advise is to do both.
To do both, you want to use the MACHINES, and not the free weights, at first.
Free weight come later, unless you are using them at home....
Your gym is going to have Treadmills, and Bikes, and MACHINES..
Pick 5 machines. And do "a set"..... = repetitions .
Do 3 sets of 12, for every machine. and start with comfortable weight, and let your body get use to it for a month.
This is your "routine" or your "circuit", as we call it in the Gym.
You go there, to do that, and when you're finished you leave....... The work is done.... time to go. IN and out.

As you keep going, and your energy and strength begins to show you what is happening, then add a little more weight per machine, for another month.
Eventually, you'll have added enough weight that allows each machine to make you breath pretty hard, per machine.
Do this for 5 or 6 machines, and add some Treadmill walking, and some Bike if you like, and do this for a few months, and you will have discovered your fountain of youth.
Time will fly. Your 30 mins, becomes 45, then an hour, and it likes you are there for 20.

You will sleep better.
You will feel less stress.
Here is the GRAND PRIZE........ you get to live longer, healthy, which is quality of life, and what is life without quality of Life?
Also, when you are in good shape, your mind works better, and most of all, you will find that you can handle life better..
You'll find that when you are in good shape, physically, the same problems that would have flipped you upside down....now are just "doable".

Find out.
Going to a gym and being disciplined about this...., will change your life for GOOD.

Do it , join a gym.

fb1

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 41
Any other dedicated workout folks here on the forums? How long have you been training? What kind of gym do you train at? Favorite thing to train? Most importantly what kind of headphones do you use? I'll start:
  1. 13 years
  2. Crunch Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness in Beaverton, OR
  3. Back day. I'd kill for a Nautilus Pullover machine
  4. I'm currently going back and forth on this one. I prefer my Monoprice premium bluetooth headphones for convenience but those have been RMA'd due to the left driver no longer working. Since then I've been using a pair of Klipsch Image Ones.

1) 12 years
2) advanced hot yoga 4-5 times a week
3) strength and mindfulness focus
4) too sweaty and not practical to listen to music

May 17, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 41
I don't think we were created to do exercices, I could be wrong though. I think we just need to go out for a walk or run if possible, regularly. You are doing a lot of exercices just by walking or running. The diet is huge too. Drink water, good sleep... and of course, fill your mind with positive and good things.

Last edited:
May 17, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 41
I don't think we were created to do exercices, I could be wrong though. I think we just need to go out for a walk or run if possible, regularly. You are doing a lot of exercices just by walking or running. The diet is huge too.

Here is how the time table usually works.

Youthful = till about 40.

Middle age = 40 - 55

The Decline = 55 - 70

Slow Torment = 70 and beyond.

Now, if you want to miss the slow torment, and you want to keep middle age in good health and energetic till 70+, and youth till 50+, then find a gym, join it, and go.
Be consistent, as consistency is the key to success.

Here is what destroys health...

= Poor Stress management, poor sleep, bad diet, not enough good water, and a sedentary lifestyle.

Here is something you wont find in the medical literature, but you can get it from me.
As you age, you lose moisture, a certain type of Physiological/Natural lubrication, and that is why your bones become brittle, and your skin gets thin, and wrinkles.
Working out, consistently, reverses the course of aging, by maintaining this unusual moisture that IS Youth.
When you dont do this, you DRY and you AGE faster.....

Are you over 65 and want to get your power back and feel younger and see this happening?
GO to the gym. Join it....start.
You'll find out its true.
Do it and be consistent.

Just like a fine Sports Car = We are made to get up and GO, we are not made to SIT and Watch.
If you put a NEW $256,000 USD Jaguar Convertible in a car collection showroom and dont run it, everything ROTS.
Entropy wins.
Same with our bodies.
Sitting too much, is the enemy of health, especially as you age.

Join a gym.
Get your power back, make your quality of life better.
Do it.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 41
Here is how the time table usually works.

Youthful = till about 40.

Middle age = 40 - 55

The Decline = 55 - 70

Slow Torment = 70 and beyond.

Now, if you want to miss the slow torment, and you want to keep middle age in good health and energetic till 70+, and youth till 50+, then find a gym, join it, and go.
Be consistent, as consistency is the key to success.

Here is what destroys health...

= Poor Stress management, poor sleep, bad diet, not enough good water, and a sedentary lifestyle.

Here is something you wont find in the medical literature, but you can get it from me.
As you age, you lose moisture, a certain type of Physiological/Natural lubrication, and that is why your bones become brittle, and your skin gets thin, and wrinkles.
Working out, consistently, reverses the course of aging, by maintaining this unusual moisture that IS Youth.
When you dont do this, you DRY and you AGE faster.....

Are you over 65 and want to get your power back and feel younger and see this happening?
GO to the gym. Join it....start.
You'll find out its true.
Do it and be consistent.

Just like a fine Sports Car = We are made to get up and GO, we are not made to SIT and Watch.
If you put a NEW $256,000 USD Jaguar Convertible in a car collection showroom and dont run it, everything ROTS.
Entropy wins.
Same with our bodies.
Sitting too much, is the enemy of health, especially as you age.

Join a gym.
Get your power back, make your quality of life better.
Do it.
This is 100% accurate. Thanks for posting

Aug 31, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 41
nope just a rat

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 41
There should be a warning.

Being a fitness gym rat does not make you thin.

Arnold Schwarzenegger talked about this. So many gym rats are still so fat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back