Any Filipinos in Head-Fi?
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #17 of 35
Green mango and bagoong is one of my favorite snacks.  Here in the middle of the U.S., I don't have a hard time finding bagoong, but it has been pretty hit and miss with the green mangos.  Lots of mangos at the store, but not always hard and green!  I've learned to settle for half-way ripe mango and bagoong.

Filipino food is pretty cool, because they don't believe in wasting anything.  That old saying, "Everything but the oink" is certainly true.  And, I'll bet that somewhere, some smart Pinoy got a sound bite of the oink and spun it into a hot cut at a club somewhere.  :)

Quote:
dang. you got some real bawls lucky. Never had the stomach to eat that stuff and i'm a fob!...well not really.

Mar 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Green mango and bagoong is one of my favorite snacks.  Here in the middle of the U.S., I don't have a hard time finding bagoong, but it has been pretty hit and miss with the green mangos.  Lots of mangos at the store, but not always hard and green!  I've learned to settle for half-way ripe mango and bagoong.

Filipino food is pretty cool, because they don't believe in wasting anything.  That old saying, "Everything but the oink" is certainly true.  And, I'll bet that somewhere, some smart Pinoy got a sound bite of the oink and spun it into a hot cut at a club somewhere.  :)

Green unripe mangos right? Yeah I love that. Especially when it's the right amount of sour. I like my bagoong sauteed.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #19 of 35
Filipino food is good, but a lot of it isn't "pretty", so I think that is why you don't see Filipino restaurants popping up - like Thai restaurants - in suburbs across the US.

Jul 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #22 of 35
Marcus is Irish right, Dinkoy? Hehe cool.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #23 of 35
Hello, mga kababayan :p

Filipino Head-fier living in Dubai. Lived in the squatter areas of Pasay City in Manila for 12 years. Still, my friends say its weird I don't act like one.. I say its all in the parenting :p
Its sad, this emirate is very nice, it has an impressive nightlife and entertainment areas, as well as areas for those who would enjoy a tranquil time, although I haven't seen someone with decent headphones (everyone's headphones are at least Nokia/Sony/iBuds/Beats/Bose/Panasonic/Philips). I'm pretty sure at least people in Downtown Dubai/Uptown Mirdiff/Jumeirah Beach Residences (since those places have really rich people living in them) have at least good headphones, although I have yet to see one.

Lots of Filipinos living here as well. I mean, probably 60-75% of the people here are expatriates. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #24 of 35
i'm part. my dad grew up on clark airforce base till he was 15. at 15 he and family moved to America. my grandpa was in the army stationed there and was a radio engineer. use to tell me about it a lot. i still have my grandpa's worktable i use to this day where he use to build tube and transistor radios and wrap his own voice coils. table was built in the Philippines and made out of filipino mahogany.

i always wanted to visit the Philippines myself but it's expensive and i usually don't have any time to travel.

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #25 of 35
I am first generation. My mother is from Manila and my father is from Gapan, Nueva Ecijia. Born and raised in NYC.

I understand tagalog and can speak it when spoken too. I picked up Rosetta Stone for the wife and I.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #26 of 35
I was born here in the states but both parents are born and bred there. They retired back there a few years ago. I understand tagalog to a point.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 35
Better late then never but Miles is Filipino. Born and educated in Manila. Been stateside for 28 years. Feels good to be among kababayan headphone lovers.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #28 of 35
Sure, both my parents are filipino and I can understand a little bit of tagalog, especially the bad words and the sexual stuff.  My girl is filipino and she can speak it fluently though. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #29 of 35
When I was a little kid, I had Fillipino neighbors and they were great. I know a couple Filipino people and they are great also. I wish I had more exposure to the culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back