Any famous Jazz drummers?
Jan 16, 2005 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
In short, my wife's cousin jsut got a drum set. Already plays guitar. He's 15 so he hasn't been exposed to all music genres' He's currently into dub, punk and ska (from talking to him). He likes the tallent though. He understands talent and recognizes the difficulty in what some drummers do. Comments like "that guy must have a third arm" come out from him about some of the drummers he likes. Point is, he can visualize what has to be done on a drum set to hit the desired notes and he enjoys that aspect.

Are there any famous jazz drummers that fit this bill? I'd like to get a CD for myself (so it has to be digetable music) and let him give it a listen.

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 24
This is a long thread, and it discusses more than just jazz drummers, but it is pretty comprehensive.

Some of my favorite jazz drummers include:

- Billy Cobham
- Steve Gadd
- Buddy Rich
- Ed Shaunnessey
- Max Roach
- Gene Krupa

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 24
tony williams
elvin jones
jack dejohnette
art tatum
max roach
dan briteny
john McEntire
Professor Milford Graves
Buddy Rich
Art Blakey
Chick Webb
AIRTO
kenny clark

off the toppa my head

Elvin Jones will blow your mind, so will Tony Williams. those two are ones i'd reccomend first and foremost

Tony Williams (with Miles Davis 1964 Quintette) - "Miles Smiles"
Elvin Jones (with John Coltrane) - "A Love Supreme"

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 24
Max Roach and Steve Gadd are two of my favorites.
As for Steve Gadd, though this isn't a jazz piece, listen to his part on Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover." It's a lot more difficult than it actually sounds.

sleepyking - thanks for the info on Tony Williams. I think I'm going to get the album later today.

Jan 16, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 24
I'd also recommend Paul Motian for a less aggressive, more impressionistic (but still technically amazing) style of drumming. Maybe it's just the fact that he played with Bill Evans (check out "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" or "Waltz for Debby"), but he seems to play drums in a very melodic way.

Jan 17, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 24
um, bobby rock is one of the greatest drummers of our time. not strictly jazz as much as jazz-rock fusion type stuff, but he more than fits the bill.

if you're interested, i wouldn't recommend starting with anything other than this. let him listen to the 19-odd minute drum solo - neatly titled 'quadzilla' - and he'll probably switch over from 3 arms to 6 arms. you'll also get to hear bill dickens, who's one of the most absurdly, inhumanly jaw-dropping bassists on the face of the earth (after months and months, i still have trouble comprehending how somebody can play the bass like this).

"To describe every facet of Bill Dicken's ability would take far too long; it appears as if the man has no limits. I had never-and still haven't , seen a player reach that level of intensity. " - Victor Wooten , Bass Player Magazine

eh, my apologies from going from drumming to bass.. if you are not floored by this album, i will paypal you the money you spent :O

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll have to go to the ATM machine before shopping today!

I'll get back to this thread with the purchases.

Andthe links provided...AWESOME!

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #10 of 24
Joe Morello and Shelly Manne.

You got to get Joe Morello's 'Going Places' (probably the best CD by a drummer)

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 24
living drummers not yet mentioned:

Andrew Cyrille
Han Bennink
Joey Baron
Ginger Baker (his recent jazz stuff, not cream)
Susie Ibarra

further support:

Paul Motian
Jack DeJohnette

if the issue is playing fast, get some Krupa records from the 50s when he was on some really strong dope. that sort of drumming is passe'.

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 24
david bailey(simply amazing on grant greens album "green street")

chester thompson(the FZ era....73-75. WOW. makes my list for number 1 drummer of all time, esp on vol.2 the helsinki concert)

jimmy cobb(plays some amazing, amazing **** on wes montgomerys "full house" and also on "boss guitar". wow!)

clyde stubblefield......will always, always have a funky place in my heart.

bernard purdie(find what you can....he plays on numerous jazz/funk cds. sick)

billy higgins(on lee morgans "sidewinder)

terry bozzio(not really jazz or funk, but AMAZING nonetheless!)

check out clive bunkers astounding fills on the jethro tull song "we used to know." holy crap!!!

thats its for now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back