Any famous Jazz drummers?
Jan 21, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #16 of 24
I'll second Elvin Jones on A Love Supreme. This is not just great technique but high artistry on one of the most profound jazz masterpiece albums ever recorded.

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 24
I'd recommend anything from Spyro Gyra and The Tower of Power as these bands can really lay down the groove.. and yea, play enough notes in a bar for that techically oriented guy to dig it too. Just listen carefully for those ghost notes on the snare Tower of Power drummer plays. Just amazing
eek.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuli
I'd recommend anything from Spyro Gyra and The Tower of Power as these bands can really lay down the groove.. and yea, play enough notes in a bar for that techically oriented guy to dig it too. Just listen carefully for those ghost notes on the snare Tower of Power drummer plays. Just amazing
eek.gif

If you want a fantastic website for drummers from Baby Dodds to Charlie Watts (!) go to http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Baby_Dodds.html

Loads of pictures and long audio clips.
Arnie

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
LOL

Why do you laugh at that?

I know a good drummer when I hear one. Ringo may be simple, but he has some real nice chops, sir.

It's really uneducated of you to doubt that Ringo is a good drummer. I had my days when I was only in to drummers that were incredibly complex, but drummers are measured in skill by their ability to drive a song and make a drum part that perfectly matches every song the band plays. Ringo was a fantastic drummer, but more importantly he always had a perfect drum part for every song he played.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I know a good drummer when I hear one. Ringo may be simple, but he has some real nice chops, sir.
It's really uneducated of you to doubt that Ringo is a good drummer. I had my days when I was only in to drummers that were incredibly complex, but drummers are measured in skill by their ability to drive a song and make a drum part that perfectly matches every song the band plays. Ringo was a fantastic drummer, but more importantly he always had a perfect drum part for every song he played.

Ringo has a very subtle way of separating himself from the average drummer. He's not the most talented or complex but certainly should not be laughed at.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 24
Ringo might haven't been the most technical drummer and his timing wasn't perfect either to say the least
lambda.gif
but what he did he at the beatles was that he played those drums like a musician and not like a machine. Just listen to what he does on hi-hat. Small accents and attenuated notes here and there, not the usual 'tick tick tick' -type what you hear from most drummers that train and educate themselves to be musicians without ever having a clue what even makes the music really. Ringo had a clue.
icon10.gif

That said, Ringo could have better technique in order show his musicality to the fullest.

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samuli
Ringo might haven't been the most technical drummer and his timing wasn't perfect either to say the least
lambda.gif
but what he did he at the beatles was that he played those drums like a musician and not like a machine. Just listen to what he does on hi-hat. Small accents and attenuated notes here and there, not the usual 'tick tick tick' -type what you hear from most drummers that train and educate themselves to be musicians without ever having a clue what even makes the music really. Ringo had a clue.
icon10.gif

Are you sure what you're hearing wasn't more Sir George Martin's guiding hand during studio sessions than Ringo's innate musical instincts?

Jan 30, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
As for Steve Gadd, though this isn't a jazz piece, listen to his part on Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover." It's a lot more difficult than it actually sounds.

The drum part on 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover is absolutely fantastic. Besides the fact that it's a good song with excellent drumming, it's one of the songs I use to test audio equipment. If Steve Gadd's drums don't sound right, I don't buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back