Any experiences with the HRT Music Streamer?
Jun 9, 2009 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Xan7hos

1000+ Head-Fier
Was at my local Barnes and Noble and noticed that the HRT Music Streamer is getting a lot of press, including a 2009 Absolute Sound Golden Ear Product of the Year award.

Anyone have any experiences with this $99 USB DAC?

ms_std.jpg

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 38
I've had the basic ($89 )HRT Music Streamer for two months. I bought it because I was trying to lower the power consumption of my music server PC and the Stereophile recommendation gave me the impression that I wouldn't loose any of the fidelity of my current setup. My Vista PC has spdif output to my outboard DAC (an Entec 502.1 number cruncher). The Entech DAC consumes about 7-9 watts, I estimated that HRT USB DAC would use less than 2 Watts.

I was not that impressed initially. The HRT seemed somewhat distorted at first. I let it burn in (so I thought) for a week or so, and it still seemed distorted/congested. So I took it out of the system and went back to the Entech. About two weeks ago I returned the HRT into my system and thought the sound had improved quite a bit. I used the HRT again for about week. The sound had definitely improved. For the last week, I am back to using the Entech. The HRT is still not as good as the Entech but may get there with more burn-in(perhaps the Stereophile auditioned Streamer was well burned in before listened to by the reviewer).

The HRT Music Streamer may be better sounding than the on board analog outputs from my PC, But not quite as good as my current PC's spdif output to outboard DAC.

A Caveat, My Pre-Amp is a passive 24 step 100k ladder type(I estimate that it uses Zero Watts). There may be some kind of impedance issue that I am not aware of. Also the output from the HRT is all or nothing, the volume controls of the host PC will not adjust the volume of the HRT's output. No PC remote volume control with the HRT. DwayneB

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 38
They were reviewed in the August 2009 issue of The Absolute Sound. Steven Stone gave them high marks. The "+" version was mentioned as giving "an additional dollop of depth, inner detail, and musical finesse."

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 38
Bump from the depths.

Anybody have any new reviews about the standard ($99) version of this? How might it compare to a Gamma-1?

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 38
I have the basic streamer and the plus version is due to arrive today, so I will be able to do a comparison. The basic version is sounding very good in my system right now, but I have made some big changes, switching from listening through a Predator to now using the streamer and the headphone out of my Harmon Kardon receiver so it is hard for me to tell what is affecting the sound. I should have some more to say after I have used the two models of the streamer in the exact same setup.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 38
I just hooked up the Streamer Plus and it does seem to add quite a bit of depth, detail and finesse. However I also just got a kimber usb cable and hooked that up at the same time, so it is not entirely clear which is providing the improvement. I plan on letting the Plus burn in for a few days and then I will do a direct a/b with the standard version using the same usb cord. I was hoping the standard would sound good enough that I could return the more expensive Plus, but right now I would guess it will be the standard version that goes back to Music Direct. I will have more to say later in the week.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 38
Thanks Nirmalanow!

I'm more interested in the Standard version though since it's only $100 and it'd be my first DAC. I've heard its' good, but haven't really seen any detailed reviews of it and how it compares to other DACs, especially the gamma-1.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hooked up the Streamer Plus and it does seem to add quite a bit of depth, detail and finesse. However I also just got a kimber usb cable and hooked that up at the same time, so it is not entirely clear which is providing the improvement.

Trust me, it's the DAC
bigsmile_face.gif

This little guy looks quite amazing, and I'm glad it's being advertised in places like Barnes and Noble- bringing audiophilia to the masses, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back