Any DACs that can also work with LPCM or Bitstream?
Aug 27, 2020 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tterral

New Head-Fier
Just bought an Asgard 3 and Modius and knew the Modius only did PCM, but my Oppo BDP 83 SE only outputs LPCM and Bitstream through the coaxial and optical outs. Thought being an SACD (PCM) and DVD-A (DSD) player, I could at least listen to my SACDs and Blu Ray audio disks. Wanted to bypass the Oppo DAC with the Modius, but it will not work. Would hate to lose the benefit of listening to my SACDs and Blu Ray disks through the new Modius DAC, the Oppo DAC was a good one at the time, but it is 10 years old.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 13
I believe you will not get any digital signal out from SACD on the Oppo except possibly over HDMI if yours has it. It's worth checking if your Oppo can be used to rip SACDs and if so consider yourself lucky and start ripping everything you have.

schitty DACs don't support DSD which is what SACD is, so if you're not happy with the conversion and loss of quality, you can do better by buying something where the company doesn't get to decide what formats you can listen to.

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 13
There is an HDMI out, but it is your standard HDMI that would go to the TV (only 1 out)., No HDMI in for the Modius.

The Oppo itself cannot do anything but play SACDs, DVD-A, CDs, I would like to rip my Hi Res Disks, but when I last looked into that as an option it looked either iffy or non-existent. Just looked again and it appears there is no way to rip the SACS 24/96 layer of the SACD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 13
There is an HDMI out, but it is your standard HDMI that would go to the TV (only 1 out)., No HDMI in for the Modius.

The Oppo itself cannot do anything but play SACDs, DVD-A, CDs, I would like to rip my Hi Res Disks, but when I last looked into that as an option it looked either iffy or non-existent. Just looked again and it appears there is no way to rip the SACS 24/96 layer of the SACD. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

The modius was not a question since schiit refuse to support DSD.

I am away from my computer where I have the bookmarks but a while ago I found a site that listed all the SACD players that could be used for ripping.

Oppo seems to have been careful not to provide digital out for SACD except over HDMI. I guess you could get up to 24/192 over the coax or optical out but they preserve SCMS and it causes some recorders etc. not to work. I'm not sure there is a 24/96 layer on SACD. I think it is DSD64 for SACD and then 16/44.1 for the CD compatability layer. Maybe BlueRay audio is 24/96.

The only thing you can do is try the alternate outputs and see what a good DAC tells you about it.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 13
Interesting about the 24/96 on SACD, I am sure you are right about the DSD64, been a long time since I even dealt with resolution of the Oppo outputs. Not sure why Schiit doesn't do DSD, probably adds to their cost and target price points. Guessing a copyright issue with SACD digital out/ripping, which is too bad, because now I will have to purchase new FLAC files in order to be able to play the Hi Res audio on the SACD/DVD-A/Blu Ray discs I have purchased and have already bought at least twice before at different resolutions/formats. Thanks for the help.

Aug 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 13
I think that is one I read. If your Oppo is on the list we can probably figure it out. I'm ok with Linux.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 13
Just bought an Asgard 3 and Modius and knew the Modius only did PCM, but my Oppo BDP 83 SE only outputs LPCM and Bitstream through the coaxial and optical outs. Thought being an SACD (PCM) and DVD-A (DSD) player, I could at least listen to my SACDs and Blu Ray audio disks. Wanted to bypass the Oppo DAC with the Modius, but it will not work. Would hate to lose the benefit of listening to my SACDs and Blu Ray disks through the new Modius DAC, the Oppo DAC was a good one at the time, but it is 10 years old.
My two cents, connect the Oppo BDP 83 SE Stereo Audio Out (RCA) jacks, to the RCA input jacks on the Asgard 3.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 13
That is how it is set up now, my goal was to bypass the old DAC of the OPPO and use the Modius, via coaxial. Definitely works with the RCA outs into the Asgard and sounds good, just wanted to use the Modius DAC.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 13
That is how it is set up now, my goal was to bypass the old DAC of the OPPO and use the Modius, via coaxial. Definitely works with the RCA outs into the Asgard and sounds good, just wanted to use the Modius DAC.
Guess it's time to replace the Oppo.

Aug 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Interesting about the 24/96 on SACD, I am sure you are right about the DSD64, been a long time since I even dealt with resolution of the Oppo outputs. Not sure why Schiit doesn't do DSD, probably adds to their cost and target price points. Guessing a copyright issue with SACD digital out/ripping, which is too bad, because now I will have to purchase new FLAC files in order to be able to play the Hi Res audio on the SACD/DVD-A/Blu Ray discs I have purchased and have already bought at least twice before at different resolutions/formats. Thanks for the help.

In their chip dacs schiit uses chips which support DSD. schiit decided that DSD is a scam so they don't support it even though the hardware is capable.

Yeah the reason why Oppo allows SACD only over HDMI is absolutely so they didn't get killed with lawsuits, They also support SCMS which is just bizarre. Same reason.

There are other SACD players which are not expensive (Yamaha makes a few and so does Samsung I think). I would guess it would be a problem to get digital out but maybe it is possible to find an option. This is frustrating, I agree.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 13
It's in the Schiit Happened thread, but they don't support it as the vast majority of music is PCM, and making the effort to support an almost non-existent format which uses gigantic files and has significant and troublesome transmission/compatibility issues for such a format is a waste of time.

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 13
It's in the Schiit Happened thread, but they don't support it as the vast majority of music is PCM, and making the effort to support an almost non-existent format which uses gigantic files and has significant and troublesome transmission/compatibility issues for such a format is a waste of time.

That's an excuse, not a real reason. Virtually everybody else who uses the same chips as schiit supports DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back