Any Cmoy amp fans/users still about?
May 3, 2011 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
I picked one up recently, quite well made - enjoying the synchronicity and balance between Fiio L9/itouch 4G with EQu app  (Red Penguin caffeine - maker unknown-quite professional job though).

Its hey day seems to be 2004-2006 but they are still being made as a simple project by hobbyists.

Anyone else got memories of using one, or still does use one?

May 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
I've got a rechargeable Dual Chip CMOY still in use. Bought it from the E-Bay seller fred_fred2004. I believe he's another Headfier. It has plenty of drive - for what I paid (about £50) I think it sounds pretty damn good.

May 3, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 10
i have mine, made by CSG EU and its really good. Bought it off ebay, but i havent had it for long, but i love it.

May 3, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 10
yeah, mine is a simple red penguin with a switch, blue led and two big cylinder things inside, driven by a 9volt battery, wish i knew more of its particulars.

May 3, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 10
since its the only amp i own (to use with my SR80's) i use it exclusively.
tongue_smile.gif
i went with a JDS build, because it was my first attempt, and his board / instructions were the most detailed. turned out pretty well, sounds great too.

May 3, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 10
May 3, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 10
I built my own about 2 weeks ago.  I really like it, but I think I need to go again.  My volume pot is more of what I like to call a 'presences' knob and instead of volume.

The single 9v saturated the OpAmp, so I stuck 2 9v's in and with the extra voltage everything was good. 

I want to built another one with separate Ops for each side (basically two amps in one).

May 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 10
Yes, thats the one, thank you.  (I messaged fred_fred with photos of it also and he identified for me too).

I should have written an update. Great amp btw.

Jun 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I just recently completed my first CMoy. I LOVE THIS THING I built the 18 v version and believe it sounds much better than the 9 volt-er. I tested the amp with one 9 volt battery and a bridge across the other battery connector and found the sound to be a bit muddy. I also built what is called a "Headbanger" amp that uses two single op-amps. this one however, does sound really great with one 9 volt battery. One thing I will definitely say is that the op-amp that you use means the difference between a good amp and a simple throughput for your phones. I tried Radio Shack Tl082 dual op-amp and the darn thing clipped on the left channel at all volumes---- ah well, live and learn: always use the Texas instruments op-amp from Digi Key. (the number is in the instructions for building the amp). Now I am going to build one using one of the transparent blue Serpac enclosures that has a built in 9 volt battery tray and tuck an extra battery next to the board................

Equip:  iPod 32G 4th Gen-- Macbook pro---AudioTechnica AH50s cans and a couple of sweet minty amps............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back