Any chile-heads out there (people that like stuff REALLY spicy)?
Nov 21, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #61 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
It's funny, I never even new about this Scoville scale; all I know is it's got Habeneros (love 'em) and Garlic (I'm a pure bred Italian). Heat scale 100,000-854,499 Scoville units
sku1169.jpg

You really don't scream when you have this sauce - you smile

Actually this salsa is in the 2500-5000 SU range... right around where Tobasco Habanero is. I think they just used 100,000 to 854,499 SU's worth of habaneros... it's impossible to have a natural sauce that goes up to 854,499 SUs, especially considering Habaneros are the 7th ingredient on the ingredient list in this salsa (hottest habanero ever recorded is only like 500,000 SUs) Plus you can get this in the grocery store for like $5.00 and there is no sauce that's up to 854,599 SUs that you can get for less then $15.00. Uber hot sauces are rarely in grocery stores, too. Nobody in the world could handle a dip of salsa measuring that high!

If Stevesurf really added 3 tbl of any sauce over 100,000 SUs to Chili then he would probably end up in the hospital! 854,499 SUs is WICKED beyond BELIEF! (try Mad-Dog 357 Collectors Edition from www.pyropepper.com 600,000 SUs at only $12.00 - if you can take just 3 drops on a chip without anything to drink for 15 mins, then I give you MAD props! Don't get the reg Mad Dog 357... go straight for the top! the Collectors Edition! =) I'll even send you a good little sample of this stuff for free! under one condition... you take 3 drops of it and take a picture of your face after 20 seconds of eating it and post it here =) I guarantee it will be MUCH hotter then you expect...

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #62 of 83
Oleoresin Capsaicin:
"Humans have also acted as guinea pigs with oleoresin capsicum. It is an ingredient in super-hot sauces with words in the name like insanity, death, and suicide. These sauces are tasted at food shows by people who have no idea of how hot they are. Some people, with few tastebuds in the mouths, are not bothered by the extreme heat. But most people react very negatively to the super-hot sauces, experiencing severe burning and sometimes blistering of the mouth and tongue. Other immediate responses have included shortness of breath, fainting, nausea, and spontaneous vomiting. People should be very careful of commercial hot sauces that list oleoresin capsicum as an ingredient."
But there's more:
"Aside from the above adverse effects, the super-hot sauce will not hurt you. "Comprehensive nutritional studies have not shown any adverse effects of chile or capsaicinoids even at ten times the maximum use levels," wrote the one world’s experts on capsaicin, V.S. Govindarajan, author of the mammoth study, Capsicum--Production, Technology, Chemistry and Quality. But even if you do overindulge in capsaicinoids, do not worry, for they are quickly metabolized in the liver and excreted in urine within a few hours."
Link:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/capsaicin.asp
Oleoresin's cheatin'
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #63 of 83
I like spicy food but don't eat much of it now days. For everyday use I use either Tobasco, Sriracha, or Koon Yick Wah Kee chilli sauce

06KYCH03.JPG

which is made in Hong Kong and hotter than the previously two mentioned. I currently own a few of the chilli sauces from Blair's collection and from a few other manufacturers. I have all of Blair's a.m. (signed and numbered) series plus Blair's Caldera, his Holiday special reserve, Blair's 2004 and 2005 Halloween reserve, and Blair's 16 Million reserve. Blair's signed and numbered chilli sauces command high dollars among chilli sauce collectors because so few were made and all of the signed and numbered series are completely sold out. Although I hear now Blair is again making the 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. chilli sauces and selling them in unnumbered and unsigned bottles. The signed and numbered series of Blair's sauces is something you don't want to mess with and use it as a prank in someone's food to see them wince in pain. Serious burns can result if your not careful and the sauce should only be used as an ingredient in cooking not as a condiment to spice up your chili or salsa.

Blair's 16 Million reserve isn't excactly a sauce but a glass vile that contains pure capsaicin crystals. Pure capsaicin measures 16 million scoville units which is the highest the scale goes to. Blair's 6 a.m. chilli sauce also measures 16 million scoville units or near to it. It's rating can vary from bottle to bottle depending on how much soy bean oil is mixed in to it to make the sauce. The 6 a.m. sauce is currently in the Guinness Book of World Records as being the world hottest chilli sauce.

The only Blair's a.m. series sauce I had the guts to try was the 3 a.m. sauce which measures between 1.5 to 2 million scoville units. I have use about a half teaspoonful of Blair's 3 a.m. in about a gallon of chili and it was way too hot. It was as if I was ingesting molten metal, pure heat at it's wickedest form. I couldn't get rid of the burn from my mouth easily either, had to rinse several times with milk to to kill the burn. Even after that the damage was done to my taste buds which was burnt and I couldn't taste a thing for the next week and a half. Not to mentioned the insides of my mouth was raw and sensitive afterwards. You definitely don't want to get any of this or the other Blair's chilli sauce on your skin because it will burn and you can't get it off simply just by washing with soap and water (it will still burn). If you get it on your skin, any other part of your body that you touch with the affected area will spread the burn. Check the following link where someone tries the Blair's 16 million reserve in a pot of tomato soup, all I got to say is insane:

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsauce...roduct-review/

Check the following link for a Scoville unit scale and how the various chilli sauces (Dave Insanity sauce, Da Bomb, Blair's etc.) stack up:

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #64 of 83
I've had the normal Mad Dog 357 and can vouch for its ability to inflict pain. I accidentally got a tiny bit on my lips. I tell people I now know what a lip tattoo feels like.

What is most interesting to me is that the heat manifests itself in different ways with different chiles. Some chiles are sharp and stinging, while others seem to affect you on a deeper level.

I have trouble actually using these extremely hot sauces in food. My wife makes 2-3 dishes that I "augment" with Da Bomb BI (2-3 drops). What sorts of foods do you guys use these sauces in/on?

For you guys who really enjoy good flavor and a respectable kick, check this sauce out:
Venom - ~80k SU (estimate). Heat comes from habanero + extract. Flavor comes primarily from balsamic vinegar. A very interesting sauce, and worth a try.

If you live in the Southeast US, there is a relatively small sandwich chain called "Firehouse" that has a hot sauce bar. None of their sandwiches are spicy, but all the hot sauces are free to try. A really great place to sample 20+ sauces at once.

It's good to see lots of hot-heads, especially ones with tolerances like MrEcted1. Much respect for recommending a 600k SU sauce
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #67 of 83
Capsacin crystals? I'm almost scared to ask what you are supposed to use those bad boys for!

Put one crystal in a bowl of chilli and watch as your face explodes?

Or are they so hot that no matter how much of a tolerance you have (and how little you use) they will always be unbearable.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #68 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Capsacin crystals? I'm almost scared to ask what you are supposed to use those bad boys for!

Put one crystal in a bowl of chilli and watch as your face explodes?

Or are they so hot that no matter how much of a tolerance you have (and how little you use) they will always be unbearable.

Yup, the sole reason for the 16 million reserve is for bragging rights that Blair can have in saying that he's released and sold the the hottest ingredient used in cooking in it's purest form. It's nearly 8,000 times hotter than Tobasco and 30 times hotter than the spiciest pepper, the Red Savina from Mexico. Nothing can surpass his 16 million reserve because capsaicin is used as the base ingredient in many of his other sauces and his competitor's sauces in varying amounts. Dave of Dave's Insanity sauce started the arms race in chilli sauces back in 1989 when he claimed to have the hottest chilli sauce on the planet. Within a year several other chilli sauce makers including Blair stepped up to the challenge in making chilli sauce much hotter than what Dave had to offer.

Currently only Blair has set and raised the bar himself as having the world's hottest cooking ingredient in his possession. No other chilli sauce maker has stepped up to challange Blair for the title. Partly because there may be a liability from some consumer trying to sue the maker should he or she misuse the chilli sauce and get hurt from it. Which is why you need to now agree to waive liability on the maker and seller of Blair's signature sauces and other chilli sauces of that intensity before you can purchase it. Also no matter how much heat you can tolerate and how little of the 16 million reserve you use (even if it's just one crystal), it will always be too hot.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #69 of 83
So in other words, slipping a capsacin crystal into a buddy's chilly isn't a form of childish humor... It's a form of assassination.

Very interesting!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this thread has kept me fired up about peppers this week. Every night has been spicier than the last!

Interesting comment about the arms race too... I've always wondered why some sauces with names like "Insanity" are relatively tame in comparison to their big brothers.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #70 of 83
Yup, the unsuspecting victim on the receiving end of any of Blair's signed and number sauces including the 16 million reserve will have problems trying to eat, drink, or swallow for days even if he or she had try to kill the burn by rising with milk. Rising with milk will kill the burn in your mouth but it will not undo the damage that has already occurred in there.

BTW Blair has only loss the title of having the hottest chilli sauce in the world once when the makers of Da Bomb chilli sauce introduced Da Bomb The Final Answer chilli sauce. That only lasted a few months as Blair came back with his 3 a.m. chilli sauce and has never looked back since.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #71 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
I like spicy food but don't eat much of it now days. For everyday use I use either Tobasco, Sriracha, or Koon Yick Wah Kee chilli sauce which is made in Hong Kong and hotter than the previously two mentioned. I currently own a few of the chilli sauces from Blair's collection and from a few other manufacturers. I have all of Blair's a.m. (signed and numbered) series plus Blair's Caldera, his Holiday special reserve, Blair's 2004 and 2005 Halloween reserve, and Blair's 16 Million reserve. Blair's signed and numbered chilli sauces command high dollars among chilli sauce collectors because so few were made and all of the signed and numbered series are completely sold out. Although I hear now Blair is again making the 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. chilli sauces and selling them in unnumbered and unsigned bottles. The signed and numbered series of Blair's sauces is something you don't want to mess with and use it as a prank in someone's food to see them wince in pain. Serious burns can result if your not careful and the sauce should only be used as an ingredient in cooking not as a condiment to spice up your chili or salsa.

Blair's 16 Million reserve isn't excactly a sauce but a glass vile that contains pure capsaicin crystals. Pure capsaicin measures 16 million scoville units which is the highest the scale goes to. Blair's 6 a.m. chilli sauce also measures 16 million scoville units or near to it. It's rating can vary from bottle to bottle depending on how much soy bean oil is mixed in to it to make the sauce. The 6 a.m. sauce is currently in the Guinness Book of World Records as being the world hottest chilli sauce.

The only Blair's a.m. series sauce I had the guts to try was the 3 a.m. sauce which measures between 1.5 to 2 million scoville units. I have use about a half teaspoonful of Blair's 3 a.m. in about a gallon of chili and it was way too hot. It was as if I was ingesting molten metal, pure heat at it's wickedest form. I couldn't get rid of the burn from my mouth easily either, had to rinse several times with milk to to kill the burn. Even after that the damage was done to my taste buds which was burnt and I couldn't taste a thing for the next week and a half. Not to mentioned the insides of my mouth was raw and sensitive afterwards. You definitely don't want to get any of this or the other Blair's chilli sauce on your skin because it will burn and you can't get it off simply just by washing with soap and water (it will still burn). If you get it on your skin, any other part of your body that you touch with the affected area will spread the burn. Check the following link where someone tries the Blair's 16 million reserve in a pot of tomato soup, all I got to say is insane:

http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsauce...roduct-review/

Check the following link for a Scoville unit scale and how the various chilli sauces (Dave Insanity sauce, Da Bomb, Blair's etc.) stack up:

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

Another interesting note... Blair Lazar names his AM sauces because he used to give the drunks at his bar the hottest sauce he could muster up - so they would finally leave... starting at 2:00AM.

Very good collection of sauces you have there! I collect Blair's sauces as well, but I don't have any signature ones. I really wish I could find Caldera, but that one is tough even on ebay... Caldera is actually 3 sauces in one I believe.

I was actually quite disappointed with Blair's 2AM sauce. I know it's not as hot as the 3AM (650,000 - 900,000 for the 2AM and 1,500,000 - 2,000,000 for the 3AM) but to me Da Bomb Ground Zero seemed a good bit hotter and it's only rated a little above 200,000 SUs. It also happened to me with Possible Side Effects. That one is supposed to be 283,000 SUs and it's no where near that what-so-ever. It's actually not any hotter then Dave's Gourmet Insanity which is around 50,000. I can use PSE like taco-bell fiends use taco-bell sauce. Although I love Blair sauces a lot, I think they fabricate their SU ratings... at least in their non-signature and in their 2AM.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #72 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by androgeny
What is most interesting to me is that the heat manifests itself in different ways with different chiles. Some chiles are sharp and stinging, while others seem to affect you on a deeper level.

Yeah I totally agree with this. For me, Da Bomb sauces seem to be more of a slow rolling burn and Mad Dog Collectors seems to be a sharp burn that goes on and on and on... And others like Blair's Possible Side Effects have a quick sharp tinge, then goes away quickly.

Quote:

I have trouble actually using these extremely hot sauces in food. My wife makes 2-3 dishes that I "augment" with Da Bomb BI (2-3 drops). What sorts of foods do you guys use these sauces in/on?

I use hot sauce on way too much. I have hot sauces of ALL types, so I can usually find something to go with whatever I'm eating. Whether it be a simple mild Jalapeno sauce on sour-cream and onion chips, or a hefty super burner in some Chili.

Quote:

It's good to see lots of hot-heads, especially ones with tolerances like MrEcted1. Much respect for recommending a 600k SU sauce
tongue.gif

haha... To me it's weird that there isn't a LOT of people that love super uber hot sauce, just cuz I do so much. I love the cap-buzz I get, I love the tingle in my mouth onces the intense heat slows down a little... heck I love the intense heat! To each their own of coarse. Personally I don't like much sweet stuff and my wife doesn't understand why... She doesn't like anything hotter then jalapeno tobasco and I don't understand why...

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #73 of 83
Yeah, the Caldera is very expensive on the secondary market and on Ebay. Last one I saw on Ebay was a relatively high number one that went for $1500. Only 499 bottles of the Caldera sauce were made. A few online stores that have one or two bottles of the Caldera left in their inventory numbered in the high 200 range are asking $2000+ for them. Check the link below for the price on Caldera bottle #106:

http://ironq.com/blair_s_caldera.html

Someone also had the Caldera prototype signed by Blair on Ebay recently. It's been said that an entire bottle of Caldera (all three bottles that make up the Caldera totals 18 oz.) chilli sauce in a million gallons of salad dressing oil is enough to bring so much heat to make it incinerating.

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #74 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Yeah, the Caldera is very expensive on the secondary market and on Ebay. Last one I saw on Ebay was a relative high number one that went for $1500. Only 499 bottles of the Caldera sauce were made. A few online stores that have one or two bottles of the Caldera left in their inventory numbered in the high 200 range are asking $2000+ for them. Check the link below for the price on Caldera bottle #106:

http://ironq.com/blair_s_caldera.html

Someone also had the Caldera prototype signed by Blair on Ebay recently. It's been said that an entire bottle of Caldera (all thee bottles that make up the Caldera totals 18 oz.) chilli sauce in a million gallons of salad dressing oil is enough to bring so much heat to make it incinerating.

I remember seeing that Caldera on ebay actually! My woman would kill me if I told her I was even thinking about spending $100 on a hot sauce, let alone thousands... "bu...bu....but hooooooooneeeeey! It's a COLLECTORS iteeeeeem!"

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #75 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Wasabi is horseradish... does it count as chili?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexhifi
For some reason, I can't get into wasabi. It's a kind of pain I really dislike...it's like inside your sinuses or something! Hot chili peppers and such stay in the mouth, gut, and...um...pucker hole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Wasabi is different from most spicy things... I agree it always seems to go into my sinuses as well. Even though it isn't all that hot it has more of a physical effect on me than most things.

What all of you are describing is horseradish, not wasabi. Very informative quotes here, courtesy of Pacific Farms USA:

Quote:

In the last twenty years, because of low supply of fresh Wasabi rhizomes, substitutes made of mixtures of horseradish, mustard and food coloring have taken the place of freshly prepared Wasabi.

Don't be fooled. The green smooth textured clump on the side of your sushi dish is rarely real wasabi. More commonly it is ordinary horseradish with food coloring added.

Real wasabi is one of the rarest and most difficult vegetables in the world to grow. Few geographical areas are suited for growing wasabi. We are fortunate that our micro climate in Florence, Oregon is ideally suited for growing fresh wasabi.

Wasabi leaves (Wasabia japonica syn. Eutrema japonica) is a highly valued plant in Japanese cuisine, used primarily as a condiment for seafood dishes. More recently it has found widespread appeal in western cuisine due to its unique flavor. Used as an ingredient in dressings, dips, sauces and marinades, wasabi is a versatile spice and is rapidly becoming one of the most popular new flavors. Wasabi has a heat component that unlike chili peppers is not long lived on the palate and subsides into an extremely pleasant, mild vegetable taste that even people normally averse to hot food enjoy.

With fresh wasabi, it actually takes around 20 seconds for the heat to start. This leaves you time to appreciate the wonderful flavor of the plant. When the heat from wasabi comes, it manifests almost as a high or "head rush" (though it does not go to one's sinuses), with some similarities to smoking a cigarette. Much better for you tho!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back