Any chile-heads out there (people that like stuff REALLY spicy)?
Nov 19, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #31 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
What about Red Savina Habeneros? Aren't those the speciest chili pepper?

Red Savina is the hottest chili pepper known. I read somewhere that the hottest one ever found was around 500,000 SU's. Usually Red Savinas are around 200,000 to 350,000.

Scotch Bonnets are also extremely hot, anywhere from about 100,000 to 250,000 SUs.

Nov 19, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #32 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
I keep Cholula and Grace crushed pepper sauce around, also making my own hot sauce when I come across really good-smelling peppers (I go simple, and use it for adding into food as it's cooking, not on top of it later).

I like some degree of heat, but really like the flavor of the peppers more, and so I have really not delved into super-hot sauces, and probably won't. More of a good-tasting mild one is always a better option, IMO
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, usually I go with a moderately hot - hot sauce. After awhile you get so used to it that you must move up in the heat to get the same effect you once had before. Of coarse some food doesn't need hot sauce... like... well... hmm... cereal?

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #33 of 83
Yeh, I love birds eye chile and scotch bonnet peppers with seeds left in. One of my favourites is a ground beef, olive, onion, red pepper and scotch bonnet pizza...... covered in red hot scotch bonnet peppers
very_evil_smiley.gif
Lovely
action-smiley-027.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 83
Castillo Habanera sauce is just outstanding. Not too hot not very vinegar(y) and full of flavor. But yes, I love spicy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Yeh, I love birds eye chile and scotch bonnet peppers with seeds left in. One of my favourites is a ground beef, olive, onion, red pepper and scotch bonnet pizza...... covered in red hot scotch bonnet peppers

OUCH !!!!
hahahahaaa

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #35 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
very_evil_smiley.gif
Lovely
action-smiley-027.gif

Cool!
Twice a week I'll chop up a few raw birds eyes onto my stuffed pasta :capsaicin alkaloid rush smile:

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #36 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
Cool!
Twice a week I'll chop up a few raw birds eyes onto my stuffed pasta :capsaicin alkaloid rush smile:

They rank quite high on the scoville scale but, to be honest, I don't think the scotch bonnets I get at the local greengrocer are anyway near as hot as the Jamaican pickled ones I used to get..... either that or my taste buds have just been blown away over the years, it seems the more you get used to them the more of them you need to add to your cooking to get that "buzz"

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #38 of 83
Having lived near there for a few years, I've come to appreciate this sort of chile: http://www.nmchili.com/

Really though, in New Mexico, chile is a pepper but it's also a sauce. You rarely eat the peppers but often eat the sauce. Everyone has their own recipe though it's usually pretty simple - chile peppers, water, salt, maybe some oil or spices. The hotness varies though it's always got at least some kick to hit. There are times I wish I could get some good fresh chile (the sauce) because the canned stuff just isn't quite the same. I also miss the smell of roasting chiles that was always on the air in the fall.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #39 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I'm a wimp at hot sauce haha...this is what i use:

SHC.jpg

It's not that hot, but it has a really great flavour. I think every asian household has it, as well as every Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant. I pour it on like ketchup...

Nothing like grabbing a bowl of Pho noodles with beef meatballs, tripe, tendon, and rare slices loaded with this stuff and hoisin sauce.
biggrin.gif

HAHAHA I knew some asian would chime in and mention Sriracha(sp?). For me I dont paticularly like habenero hot sauces because all they do is try and get it to be suuper hot with no flavour. And I'm Indian so I enjoy a good hot sauce, but many are just hot and absolutly no flavour.

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #40 of 83
I'm especially into hot mustards lately. I suppose one could make one's own with Grey Poop and one of the sauces listed above. But I ususally just pick up "Kick yo' Ass" mustard.

As someone pointed out in another thread, when you are using those ueber sauces, you need to exercise extreme care when taking a break to the men's room--really.
basshead.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 83
Yes! Spiiiicy! I'm getting tired of constantly asking at every restaurant I go to "Extra-extra spicy and intense"! I just came from a Thai restaurant and that's exactly how I had to ask for the food - I've been there before and found the food well made but totally boring. Extra-extra spicy is it!

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #43 of 83
Thai food and spices can be scary. Most of the places I visit you have to get things the hottest level they have to get a bite... But every once in a while you stumble on to one that doesn't dumb-down their spicies for Western consumption... Ask for 4 stars (or whatever scale they use) at one of these places and you better be ready to get scorched!

Gahh! All this talk about different chille sauces is making me hungry! I've got to make a run down to Argyle to pick up something new to add to my collection!

Nov 20, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #44 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I'm a wimp at hot sauce haha...this is what i use:

SHC.jpg

It's not that hot, but it has a really great flavour. I think every asian household has it, as well as every Chinese or Vietnamese restaurant. I pour it on like ketchup...

Nothing like grabbing a bowl of Pho noodles with beef meatballs, tripe, tendon, and rare slices loaded with this stuff and hoisin sauce.
biggrin.gif

x3... use this stuff on everything. Its not the hottest but IMHO its more than just flaming heat, its the flavor too.

Nov 20, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #45 of 83
Anyone ever try Blair's 16 Million Reserve? Pure capsicum, 16 million scoville units
eek.gif

I've eaten whole habaneros many times. They are great sandwiched between a good cheese..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back