Any chile-heads out there (people that like stuff REALLY spicy)?
Nov 20, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #46 of 83
I keep being told an urban myth that chili sauces eat away at your stomach/intestine lining which could cause massive indegestion or other problems later in life?

Is there any basis to these accusations?

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
I keep being told an urban myth that chili sauces eat away at your stomach/intestine lining which could cause massive indegestion or other problems later in life?

Is there any basis to these accusations?

Nope! It's in this aforementioned link: thanks, MrEcted1!

Nov 20, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #48 of 83
you guys use the "screaming chicken" too? i dump half of that bottle in my thai soups! my wife is crazier tho - she asks for the one with the chili seeds floating around in it and just dumps the whole thing in her soup until it's the freaking red sea. and then she parts it with her 5th spoon - the other 4 melted on contact.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #49 of 83
wow i love chilli but never knew about those

does anyone know if u can get them in Australia ? i would love to try some of those insaneo 100000+ SA unit things

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #50 of 83
I used to get into finding the hottest...all the way up to theones where your lips start quivering on their own, without any direction from your brain...nowadays, I like mellow hot, like Coyote Cucina Chipotle Sauce - that is my present fave. A good substitute is the new Chipotle Tabasco, but it is not as flavorful as the one from Coyote Cucina.

There was a lunch truck that came down to the docks where I worked---for years, I would have the "Breakfast Bolillo" - Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Mayo, Cheddar, all on a fresh crusty bun, with the biggest pickled jalapeno they had in the can, sometimes two. I LOVE to start my day with something hot!

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I'm especially into hot mustards lately. I suppose one could make one's own with Grey Poop and one of the sauces listed above. But I ususally just pick up "Kick yo' Ass" mustard.

As someone pointed out in another thread, when you are using those ueber sauces, you need to exercise extreme care when taking a break to the men's room--really.
basshead.gif

If you like hot mustards then I urge you to order up a bottle of Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas. This one is hhhhhhOOOOOOOOTTT! (for mustard)

Oh yeah... do excercise extreme caution if you're eating hot sauces and using the bathroom. There are few things more painful then "chile willie" with an uber hot sauce.

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
It's funny, I never even new about this Scoville scale; all I know is it's got Habeneros (love 'em) and Garlic (I'm a pure bred Italian). Heat scale 100,000-854,499 Scoville units
sku1169.jpg

You really don't scream when you have this sauce - you smile

Wow... that's quite a range in heat!. 100,000 SUs is pretty tolerable. But 850,000 is HOOOOOOT!

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
Anyone ever try Blair's 16 Million Reserve? Pure capsicum, 16 million scoville units
eek.gif

I've eaten whole habaneros many times. They are great sandwiched between a good cheese..

Blair's 16M reserve is pure insanity at a dangerous level. Blair Lazar himself tried this stuff and he said it felt like someone slammed his tongue with a hammer. I also read a story where someone put just 1 capsicum crystal in a bowl of tomato soup and his wife wanted to divorce him (both were chile-heads).

I eat habaneros all the time! I think they taste great!

Nov 20, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #54 of 83
There's this Chinese spice called 'Ma La(sp?)', that when you eat it, you feel a peculiar burning sensation, and then your tongue goes numb. Apparently, they used it as a local anaesthetic in the old days .
blink.gif

Pretty damn spicy, if you ask me.

Who's tried Szechuan or Hunan dishes at one of those little mom 'n pop Chinese restaurants? They cook really well, and they don't dumb it down.

'Cap Jempol' is also awesome - I'm very familiar with it, since I'm Indonesian myself. My dad brings us a lot whenever he goes back, because we go through an average of a bottle per 2 weeks. Sriracha's good as well, very flavorful. Real good with spring rolls!

Link to the pepper types

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #55 of 83
I absolutely love spicy food. I go through crushed red pepper like crazy. Spiciest thing I've ever had is possibly at one of my favorite Indian restaurants, it was a dish like vegetable jalfrazie I think, but with insane amounts of spiciness to it. I didn't even think it was spicy at all, until my eyes started watering uncontrollably...
biggrin.gif

But the tastiest spicy food I've had would have to be fresh wasabi. Very hard to come by nowadays. I had it on something called an "inside out california roll" which was actually all-vegetarian, with finely pulsed coconut on the outside instead of rice. Mmm what a combination!

Nov 20, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #56 of 83
sku1169.jpg

I am very fond of this line of products though my main interest in heat is to add onto a dish's flavors rather than simply breathing fire. I tend to stay away from sauce that doesn't have a hearty flavor no matter how hot it is, but despite this, most folks know better than to touch any salsa or hot sauce I use after their first meltdown. I once offered my friend just a smell of the salsa I was eating and he declined.

[/storytime] My mother grabbed a bright orange bottle of 100% pain sauce from the line above in a flask shaped bottle. I had been bragging and cautioning my two friends about it when one seemed tired of me talking about it, so he laid out a thick line of it length wise on his index and middle fingers before we noticed.
When we did he proceeded to bring his hand up to his face before we could stop him, successfully flinging it into his mouth and onto his face. Alas, he got a fair amount of the juice into his eye and the ensuing fifteen minutes made jabbing your tobasco covered finger into your eye seem like a frosty dream.[/endstorytime]

good eats,
Gigs

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #57 of 83
Quick, get the chem-lab eyewash bottles out, quick!

That's must've hurt!

Wasabi is horseradish... does it count as chili?

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
sku1169.jpg

I am very fond of this line of products though my main interest in heat is to add onto a dishe's flavors rather than simply breathing fire. Gigs

I totally agree; one of my favorite meals is simply a bowl of Chilis chili, to which I add three tablespoons of batch 37. Yum!

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #59 of 83
For some reason, I can't get into wasabi. It's a kind of pain I really dislike...it's like inside your sinuses or something! Hot chili peppers and such stay in the mouth, gut, and...um...pucker hole.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I had some Thai Fried Rice the other day with a couple scoops from the "spice tray". Was a very happy man for lunch. Too bad my pu$$y co-worker can't handle some spice.
biggrin.gif

-Alex

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #60 of 83
Wasabi is different from most spicy things... I agree it always seems to go into my sinuses as well. Even though it isn't all that hot it has more of a physical effect on me than most things.

That said, I have developed some taste for it... On certain things it is really nice and I definitely like the way it cleanses the the palate (sp?) during a meal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back