Any bagpipe album out there?
Aug 15, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

renegg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, yesterday I had the opportunity to attend to a little concert that the college I attend was hosting. And for the first time in my life I heard live a bagpipe composition(I don't exactly know what type of bagpipe it was), I was truly amazed of how good it sounded. So does anyone know of any album out there worth having? Since I really want to hear more of this instrument.

Thank you

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 10
Slainte mhathe (pronounced Slawncha Va), from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada, have some pretty good pipe playing on a groovy rock-influenced background.
Afrocelt Sound System have Uilleann pipes - not sure if that's your cup o' tea, or if you only want bagpipes.
For a more rockin' sound, check out Seven Nations. They have two badass bagpipers, or at least they did when I saw them about eight years ago.

Aug 15, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can handle a little world-music integration, try Enter the Haggis, Soapbox Heroes (or other Enter the Haggis).

Saw them live and have most of their recordings, good band. You might also try The Battlefield Band - they are more traditional, but quite good

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for all you're suggestions it was just what I was looking for. I went today in the morning to the music store and bought Afro Celt Sound System, Slainte Mhath and Enter the Haggis. They didn't have Seven Nations albums, so I probably will buy them from amazon as well as the Battlefield Band.By the way I really liked Slainte Mhath.

Rene

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 10
For Scottish Highland Pipes that don't sound particularly March-bandish, try Gordon Duncan's album Just for Seumas. If you're looking for March-band music, then the Scottish label Temple Records is a valuable resource. The band Wolfstone has been very successful crossing the sound of the Highland Pipes with rock music

There are quite a few players of the Scottish "Lowland" Small Pipes, but I think the sound of the instrument is best captured under Linn Record's Celtic Experience Series.

The prime exponent of the Irish Uillean Pipes nowadays is Liam O'Flynn (his album A Piper's Call is essential listening). Davy Spillane, probably better known because he plays in many pop/cross-over projects, is renowned for making the instrument sounds almost jazzy (check out Sea of Dreams).

Aug 26, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Bagpipe is kind of a national instrument in Bulgaria where I come from. Our bagpipes are a bit different from celtic pipes (Scottish, Breton, etc.) but can really sound amazing. Here is a link to a favourite Bulgarian folk song

Руфинка болна - Google Videos

I sincerely recomend exploring Bulgarian folk music played on bagpipes.

Here are some more to check

YouTube - 100 Каба гайди, Ð¡Ð¾Ñ Ð¼Ð° караш, майчинко, 100 Kaba Gaidi

YouTube - Ð’Ð°Ð»Ñ Ð‘Ð°Ð»ÐºÐ°Ð½Ñка- Излел е Дельо хайдутин

The last one is on the gold collection of art samples that is flying cross galaxy with Voyager

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 10
i am englishman living in scotland. however, just to be contrary, heh - i much much prefer the sound of irish bagpipes, which IMHO should rightly deserve the credit and exposure that the scottish bagpipe phenomenon gets

however, i recently bought a bagpipe album after attending a bagpipe championship in the field across the road

the album i bought is Celtic Bagpipes: Traditional Celtic Melodies by lifescapes

lifescapes-celtic_bagpipes.jpg

i bought that one, as track 4 is regarding the castle which historically set atop and ruled the county i live in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back