Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #6,256 of 6,444
No offence meant, but I always love it when people who haven't watched a lot of anime say that shows like the three you mentioned are so great.

If you're talking to people who have watched 100-200 shows or more, and have a well developed taste in anime they often show quite different opinions.

Enlighten me with a list of animes you think are on par or greater than the ones I listed so I can check them out.

Feb 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #6,257 of 6,444
Quote:
Enlighten me with a list of animes you think are on par or greater than the ones I listed so I can check them out.

I'm not him - and anime is a matter of subjectivity, as with all things. I enjoyed your 3 (fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, code geass, death note), but I'm not sure any of them even make my top 20.  

If you haven't seen it, I think everyone who likes those 3 invariably also likes Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

If you're interested in a stranger's rankings, here's what I've seen: 

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/xgp15a-ii

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #6,258 of 6,444
Ghost in the shell: Arise
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-12/ghost-in-the-shell/arise-anime-details-outlined.

Wrong thread lol

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #6,259 of 6,444
Since the main anime thread is just a derail thread lately...

I'll say that some of the newest anime is just amazing. I'd fully recommend those who are fans of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga, or just interested in but are scared of the old-ass art style, go and get the 2012 anime adaptation. And this is coming from a fanboy of the series. Just go watch the anime, it'll serve as a tremendously better entrance for newcomers and humongous fan service just to see one of the most truly awesome like-shounen manga animated to great perfection.

Other newer anime that I can wholeheratedly recommend is Psycho-Pass. A sci-fi utopian Minority Report-esque anime with one of the best, well-progressed, strong female protagonist in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time in anime. Beware of a lot of literature references though.

One last recommendation that I can make is Shinsekai Yori. A great world-building anime marred slightly by a few animation stumbles and a wooden-at-times protagonist, yet I recommend to watch it just to see yet another post-apocalyptic Earth world-building, where humans developed psychic powers and deals with the everyday life of a serene post-war Earth with lots of dangerous intrigue. Don't be deterred by the childish looking characters, since the story spans up until adulthood.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #6,260 of 6,444
Quote:

I'll say that some of the newest anime is just amazing. I'd fully recommend those who are fans of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure manga, or just interested in but are scared of the old-ass art style, go and get the 2012 anime adaptation. And this is coming from a fanboy of the series. Just go watch the anime, it'll serve as a tremendously better entrance for newcomers and humongous fan service just to see one of the most truly awesome like-shounen manga animated to great perfection.

Other newer anime that I can wholeheratedly recommend is Psycho-Pass. A sci-fi utopian Minority Report-esque anime with one of the best, well-progressed, strong female protagonist in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time in anime. Beware of a lot of literature references though.

One last recommendation that I can make is Shinsekai Yori. A great world-building anime marred slightly by a few animation stumbles and a wooden-at-times protagonist, yet I recommend to watch it just to see yet another post-apocalyptic Earth world-building, where humans developed psychic powers and deals with the everyday life of a serene post-war Earth with lots of dangerous intrigue. Don't be deterred by the childish looking characters, since the story spans up until adulthood.

Not to mention that all those series have great OST and OP/EDs. My personal favorite would be Shinsekai Yori which would always keep my interest hanging cliffhanger after cliffhanger. Psycho Pass was intriguing at the start of the season; however, the plot has become more and more stagnant towards the end. 

Just wondering, is it just me, or is Shinsekai's first ED unique in composition? It gives me this fresh vibe whenever I listen to it that differentiates itself from many other anime OP/EDs. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #6,261 of 6,444

I've never read the jojo manga but the anime is soooo good. I thought it was a troll the first moment I saw it but it hooks me in right at the first episode and only gets better.
Shin Sekai Yori is the second biggest surprise for me. The beginning was quite.....I have to say... Boring.. But somewhere around ep 10 I just simply got addicted to it.

Personally, I'd also recommend Mondaiji Tachi and Sakurasou no pet Kanojo.
Mondaiji is a great mixture of lighthearted trolls and seriousness (somewhere around 7:3) with a super badass main character who is also smart.
Sakurasou is somewhat similar. Lots of trolls and lots of seriousness. I find Sakurasou exceptionally entertaining because there is lots of character development.

And... For the intial D and Gintama fans (fans would know) people who likes initial d and Gintama. They are both airing right now.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #6,262 of 6,444
Not to mention that all those series have great OST and OP/EDs. My personal favorite would be Shinsekai Yori which would always keep my interest hanging cliffhanger after cliffhanger. Psycho Pass was intriguing at the start of the season; however, the plot has become more and more stagnant towards the end. 

Just wondering, is it just me, or is Shinsekai's first ED unique in composition? It gives me this fresh vibe whenever I listen to it that differentiates itself from many other anime OP/EDs. 

That's the flaw of Gen Urobochi's work I feel. Just like Saya no Uta, the start is very intriguing and amazing, but once the pieces are hinted, and then showed, every other pieces just falls in nicely in a somewhat predictable way; or even if unpredictable, it still makes sense to not feel like too much of an ass pull.

I have the same opinion with youon Shinsekai Yori's ED I feel. It's been a long time for a ED to feel this way.

I've never read the jojo manga but the anime is soooo good. I thought it was a troll the first moment I saw it but it hooks me in right at the first episode and only gets better.
Shin Sekai Yori is the second biggest surprise for me. The beginning was quite.....I have to say... Boring.. But somewhere around ep 10 I just simply got addicted to it.

Personally, I'd also recommend Mondaiji Tachi and Sakurasou no pet Kanojo.
Mondaiji is a great mixture of lighthearted trolls and seriousness (somewhere around 7:3) with a super badass main character who is also smart.
Sakurasou is somewhat similar. Lots of trolls and lots of seriousness. I find Sakurasou exceptionally entertaining because there is lots of character development.

And... For the intial D and Gintama fans (fans would know) people who likes initial d and Gintama. They are both airing right now.

Glad that you're hooked on JoJo on the first episode and stayed for the awesome. I've been hesitant to recommend the manga series since it's just too massive to start where the art is uniquely awesome instead of experimentally bad. Now I'll just point to the anime and it does a better job than the manga did, what with all the interesting SFX, exaggerated "drawn" SFX used in the manga superimposed in the anime, and the godly use and timing of the OST and crossfading of Yes' Roundabout for the ED.

Shinsekai Yori I can agree that it's quite boring in the beginning. Didn't follow it too closely too. But that's fixed right after ep. 8 when most people were turned off by that particular scene LOL. After that it's just been uphill world building galore.

How similar is Sakurasou to Tora Dora? I'm not a fan of rom com, and Tora Dora blew my mind away with it's great character interactions. Still haven't changed my mind on a lot of romcoms though, and I put Tora Dora as an exception rather than the rule for rom com.

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #6,263 of 6,444
Glad that you're hooked on JoJo on the first episode and stayed for the awesome. I've been hesitant to recommend the manga series since it's just too massive to start where the art is uniquely awesome instead of experimentally bad. Now I'll just point to the anime and it does a better job than the manga did, what with all the interesting SFX, exaggerated "drawn" SFX used in the manga superimposed in the anime, and the godly use and timing of the OST and crossfading of Yes' Roundabout for the ED.

Shinsekai Yori I can agree that it's quite boring in the beginning. Didn't follow it too closely too. But that's fixed right after ep. 8 when most people were turned off by that particular scene LOL. After that it's just been uphill world building galore.

How similar is Sakurasou to Tora Dora? I'm not a fan of rom com, and Tora Dora blew my mind away with it's great character interactions. Still haven't changed my mind on a lot of romcoms though, and I put Tora Dora as an exception rather than the rule for rom com.

I see tons of people comparing Sakurasou to toradora~ personally, I think the two is quite different. I'm quite a romcom fan so we might be at different standpoints. In my opinion, Sakurasou is much funnier and engaging than Toradora, especially in the beginning. Toradora is a love pentagon while Sakurasou is talks about two completely different love stories that both faces somewhat similar problems. In Toradora, the main change in all the characters is about who they "love"(I HATE THIS PART OF ENLGISH! You just can't say su ki the Same way!) whereas in Sakurasou, the main change in the characters is how they feel about certain aspects of the world. Toradora does have a great ending that most romantic comedy lacks though, but considering that JC has been making quite a few good endings( and bad ones) lately, I think Sakurasou will also have an entertaining ending. Hope I didn't say way to much, but as you can see. I REALLY love this show!

All the exaggeration in JoJo also reminds me of a few of my other favorite SFX anime like Kaiji. I'd say, once you get used to it, the Huge exaggerations are actually quite helpful and entertaining.

Right.... Ep 8 is where I stopped for two weeks cuz of the YOOOOOOOOO! Moment.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #6,264 of 6,444
IMO Sakurasou isn't anywhere near as good as Toradora. The comedy relies too heavily on character archetypes (the tsukomi/straight man, the hyper-active girl, the sheltered air-head, etc). And the emotional impact is practically absent. That said, one thing it does do well (and probably its most redeeming feature) is the trials the characters go through as they try to figure out what they want to do with their lives, and the effort each character puts in to whatever it is they want to do. Its something that very few anime focus on beyond the typical "character worrying what to write on their career form" episode that most high school anime do.

Sakurasou's moe content is also much higher compared to Toradora for those who take issue with that sort of thing.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #6,265 of 6,444
Psycho Pass has been the pleasant surprise of the season for me - an interesting storyline with muddled lines of good and evil have made for an intriguing watch, I'm just hoping it closes with a bang and a satisfying ending rather than a whimper. The fact that Supercell's fictional band EGOIST is doing an OP/ED doesn't hurt at all, love their music.

Determined to see Sakurasou to the end. I honestly think if it had ended at Ep 12, I would have been very satisfied with the short anime and its ending. The pace and the problems have felt a bit forced since, but I'm also hopeful there will be a clean resolution at the end.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #6,266 of 6,444
Clannad Series (Anime, but NOT the movie)
Love Hina (Manga)
Ichigo 100% (Manga)
Pretty Face (Manga)
Kokoro Connect (Anime - My FAVORITE)
Oreimo (Anime)

I have some more that I recommend (Manga) so if you're interested, just say so. :wink:

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #6,267 of 6,444
Quote:
Clannad Series (Anime, but NOT the movie)
Love Hina (Manga)
Ichigo 100% (Manga)
Pretty Face (Manga)
Kokoro Connect (Anime - My FAVORITE)
Oreimo (Anime)

I have some more that I recommend (Manga) so if you're interested, just say so.
wink.gif

High five on Kokoro Connect! Absolutely stunning anime! 
Clannad and Oreimo are also must watches.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #6,268 of 6,444
High five on Kokoro Connect! Absolutely stunning anime! 
Only anime I've bothered to buy a wall scroll for... it was $40 with shipping and everything! :rolleyes: Worth it though, I'll put up a pic in a second.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #6,270 of 6,444
I see tons of people comparing Sakurasou to toradora~ personally, I think the two is quite different. I'm quite a romcom fan so we might be at different standpoints. In my opinion, Sakurasou is much funnier and engaging than Toradora, especially in the beginning. Toradora is a love pentagon while Sakurasou is talks about two completely different love stories that both faces somewhat similar problems. In Toradora, the main change in all the characters is about who they "love"(I HATE THIS PART OF ENLGISH! You just can't say su ki the Same way!) whereas in Sakurasou, the main change in the characters is how they feel about certain aspects of the world. Toradora does have a great ending that most romantic comedy lacks though, but considering that JC has been making quite a few good endings( and bad ones) lately, I think Sakurasou will also have an entertaining ending. Hope I didn't say way to much, but as you can see. I REALLY love this show!

All of that sounds intriguing until

Sakurasou's moe content is also much higher compared to Toradora for those who take issue with that sort of thing.

....yeah, this is going to be a hard sell for me. BUT!

IMO Sakurasou isn't anywhere near as good as Toradora. The comedy relies too heavily on character archetypes (the tsukomi/straight man, the hyper-active girl, the sheltered air-head, etc). And the emotional impact is practically absent. That said, one thing it does do well (and probably its most redeeming feature) is the trials the characters go through as they try to figure out what they want to do with their lives, and the effort each character puts in to whatever it is they want to do. Its something that very few anime focus on beyond the typical "character worrying what to write on their career form" episode that most high school anime do.

This made me hope that the moe isn't too much of a hindrance for me. Will look into it, but probably now a low priority.

Right.... Ep 8 is where I stopped for two weeks cuz of the YOOOOOOOOO! Moment.

Honestly, I pity those who dropped the series just because of that.

Psycho Pass has been the pleasant surprise of the season for me - an interesting storyline with muddled lines of good and evil have made for an intriguing watch, I'm just hoping it closes with a bang and a satisfying ending rather than a whimper. The fact that Supercell's fictional band EGOIST is doing an OP/ED doesn't hurt at all, love their music.

Determined to see Sakurasou to the end. I honestly think if it had ended at Ep 12, I would have been very satisfied with the short anime and its ending. The pace and the problems have felt a bit forced since, but I'm also hopeful there will be a clean resolution at the end.

Considering his previous works, it would be a bang for most people, but not so much to others that know how Gen Urobochi 'direct'. Or maybe it's just me. Hopefully he can still blow my mind. But that said, honestly I can't really see how it would end still.(or maybe that's just my hope and subconsciously I already knew).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back