Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 8, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #6,166 of 6,444
Currently watching Monster after just finishing the manga. Also, I'm right in the middle of Gurren Lagann.

Recently watched: Gantz, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Legend of Galactic Heroes

Monster is fantastic(?) but it's kinda hard for me to judge. After reading the manga, I know exactly what's going to happen, so it's lost most of the shock/plot twist factor. Highly recommended, though! It has an ever-growing cast of very well-developed, human characters, and a plot that keeps you guessing till the very end.

Then there's Legend of Galactic Heroes. For anyone thinking that it seems foreshadowing/reminiscent of the Iraq war, you're probably correct. But also correct would be the comparison to conflicts throughout history. Historical war strategies and recognizable command personalities are expertly woven into a narrative highlighting the worst aspects of the vaunted democracy juxtaposed with the best aspects of the corruptible monarchy. Definitely some high-level political philosophy here, but it's entertaining the entire time. And it's set in space. With highly advanced technology, and fleets that send messages on paper (for some reason).

Don't forget the OVA's and 52(!) episodes of side stories, either.

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #6,170 of 6,444
Quote:
I'll bookmark this thread because I enjoy watching anime. At the moment, I am revisiting Dragon Ball Z (subbed). I will be watching Trigun, Berserk, Bleach, and Monster soon.

I found Trigun entertaining (man it's been a while since I watched that), but the ending was pretty bleah-tastic.  I think the manga was still ongoing at the time the anime was wrapping up or something.

Quote:
Berserk looks stunning in 1080p.

Funny how certain series look great in HD.  Some folks who aren't into anime ask me sometimes why would I bother watching a cartoon in HD, but sometimes I think animation makes it even more apparent because the images aren't as dynamic and changing as a "live action" video.

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #6,171 of 6,444
One Piece.
I wrote it off when I first saw after I heard this "Main char is a PIRATE WHO CAN'T SWIM".  I heard that and never even bothered to watch 1 episode.  Recently saw trailer for the new one piece "Warrior" style game and it looked good so I figured I'd try watching the show.  Turns out I love this damn show lol.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #6,173 of 6,444
Quote:

Some folks who aren't into anime ask me sometimes why would I bother watching a cartoon in HD, but sometimes I think animation makes it even more apparent because the images aren't as dynamic and changing as a "live action" video.

It is silly why someone would ask you a question like that. That's similar to saying you shouldn't watch an animated movie in HD; I should just buy DVDs instead of Blu-ray discs. The next time someone asks you that question, direct it back at them. "Wouldn't you want to watch something that interests you in the best quality possible?" This talk about HD and animation has made me think of Princess Mononoke and how much I want that movie to be on Blu-ray. I'm sure you've seen Princess Mononoke, but if you haven't, I would watch it (in Japanese; I haven't heard the English audio, so I don't know how "accurate" it is). It is an epic, and I would consider it in my top 5 favorite animated films. For some reason, I like it more than Spirited Away, even though I watched that film first and fell in love with it at a young age.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #6,175 of 6,444
Watching Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada 

On episode 5 and I'm enjoying it!  

My second screen is boosting this as it's new Wall Paper! SO I've got dual screens DUAL MOE Girls with white backgrounds! 

<3 So cute! Although Pino's attitude is a little cuter than Menme innocence! 

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #6,176 of 6,444
That's exactly what I'm following =]  Aside from FZ since I finished it.  Also add Robotics;Notes to the list.  Current favourite this season is Chuunibyou
Quote:
currently watching:

Sword Art Online
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga ****ai!
Little Busters!
Fate/zero

few others but cant remember as im on my lappy ^_^

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #6,177 of 6,444
Quote:

Glad you're enjoying it! Anohana's one of my favorites. It's very emotionally touching.

Now we wait for it to tear your heart out...

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #6,178 of 6,444
Quote:

Glad you're enjoying it! Anohana's one of my favorites. It's very emotionally touching.

Now we wait for it to tear your heart out...

Oh plz I won't have mah heart torn out,

Ergo Proxy didn't get to me, neither did Eureka 7 or NGE, but still I like it so far <3

Casshern Sins almost got to me a little though! When Ringo started to rust q.q

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #6,179 of 6,444
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm following =]  Aside from FZ since I finished it.  Also add Robotics;Notes to the list.  Current favourite this season is Chuunibyou

I will check it out. And Chunnibyou is for sure my favorite now. after the last episode when they switched between how Rikka's imagination of what she was doing compared to what she was doing, I laughed really hard. Probably woke the GF  up in the middle of the night. whoops ^_^

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #6,180 of 6,444
Quote:

It is silly why someone would ask you a question like that. That's similar to saying you shouldn't watch an animated movie in HD; I should just buy DVDs instead of Blu-ray discs. The next time someone asks you that question, direct it back at them. "Wouldn't you want to watch something that interests you in the best quality possible?" This talk about HD and animation has made me think of Princess Mononoke and how much I want that movie to be on Blu-ray. I'm sure you've seen Princess Mononoke, but if you haven't, I would watch it (in Japanese; I haven't heard the English audio, so I don't know how "accurate" it is). It is an epic, and I would consider it in my top 5 favorite animated films. For some reason, I like it more than Spirited Away, even though I watched that film first and fell in love with it at a young age.

Heh...I have a few of the Ghibli movies on blu-ray from Japan.  I had a lot of discretionary income until I bought a condo.  :)  I watched some of the Mononoke dub a while back at a friend's house.  It wasn't horrible, but I'm an acknowledged sub snob.

Quote:

My second screen is boosting this as it's new Wall Paper! SO I've got dual screens DUAL MOE Girls with white backgrounds! 

Like that wallpaper!  I may have to have ask you to PM me the file.

Quote:
Oh plz I won't have mah heart torn out,

Ergo Proxy didn't get to me, neither did Eureka 7 or NGE, but still I like it so far <3

Casshern Sins almost got to me a little though! When Ringo started to rust q.q

Haven't seen Casshern Sins, but I can say that I think Ergo Proxy, Eureka 7, and NGE don't have nearly the same kind of emotional tragedy going on as Anohana.  Sure, NGE has tragedy in spades, but it's not quite the same.  I'm trying to think of something that had a similar effect for me, and I'm only coming up with maybe bits of FMA Brotherhood...or ironically, the ending episodes of Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back