Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #4,291 of 6,444

Quote:
Well, you would hope that after several different renditions of the love triangle thing, Kawamori would get better at trolling you with it. 
tongue_smile.gif

And I never watch English dubs if I have any choice in the matter.  Personal preference.

the other thing, i realized that i didnt really touch on at all, was that the show was entirely too long. Its like about 2/3's of the way in, it was over, but then they realized that they had only just barely started the love triangle, so they had to make up worthless story to keep it going so they could finish said love triangle. it was just poorly orchestrated overall i think.

May 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #4,292 of 6,444
Notice that I didn't mention the first Full Metal Alchelmist anime. While I think that the english vocal production on FMA was/is among the best I ever heard, I think Vic Mignogna is overated, he really has no range. That seems to be a problem plaging most of the Ocean Group. They have incredibly professional voices with excellent personality, but limited ability to tweek them. Japanese Seiyu are much better in this regard. Not to forget the point you made; no voice actor is going to be able to play a highly characterized Japanese stereotype like "tsundere" better than a Seiyu. That said, there are a lot of higly stereotypical slice of life anime that are quite fun XD

...And then there are soap opera style anime with fake character depth that merely over dramatize everything; like the first Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien =/

School Days is another story altogether
eek.gif

Quote:

hmm.. all dubbeds I've watched are those before I really get into anime so I can't comment much about the actual performance. But nowadays CV list does mean something to me, as well as director/plot/studio/etc.. I won't deny the possibility that there may be some excellent voice actors out there, but my problem with dubbed is that more or less it will be biased from the original intended emotions, and more important the verbal meaning. There are too many things that don't meant to get translated. Fan services are not of my concerns too but I'm ok with the trends now, there are supprises each season as well as those I'd end up dropping.
Eureka7 is one of my most favourite anime and actually Nazuka Kaori (Eureka's CV) is also one of my most favourite CV more or less related to that, its impossible for me to separate voices from anime I think.
To me the art style of Code Geass was quite nice, my problem with it more on the plot..

Gundam W graphics was quite ok actually, I think Gundam X is somewhat about the baseline to me. As for Gundam G.. as long as you don't treat it as usual Gundam, it can be quite fun.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I actually enjoy listening to japanese ==

This. Whenever I watch newer anime -specifically harem or slice of life, depends on the series- for a longer than normal amount of time I tend to get a little depressed and can't help but wish that anime would go back to the days when it knew how to treat people. It isn't the kind of feeling I get when I watch people getting horribly abused like in Elfen Lied, though...

Quote:
Speaking of graphics, i finally finished watching the original Macross, and boy that was a doozy. I thought it was going to be ok with the graphics, then i watched the first episode! it was so much worse than i thought. But anyways, it was pretty good. It's the oldest anime ive ever watched, since it aired in 82-83. previously the oldest shows i watched were in the 95 area, and Akira obviously was 88(but that looks great still!) . And i think its because of the fact that it was made in the early 80's that produces the things i didnt really like about it. The story overall was pretty good, but theres just waaayyy too many just random bouts of laughter that last for entirely too long. That and the people dont feel like real people, if you know what i mean, they're like caricatures of people. Sometimes modern anime feels this way at times, but in macross, it kind of felt to me like all the people were real people. And to finish, i definitely liked Macross Frontier better, maybe thats blasphemous, but i felt it was more cohesive, it didnt overstay its welcome, and i think the characters were much better< and it also did the love triangle, which macross is known for, much better.

i hate dubs

Edit: forgot who I was talking to lol. 

bcasey25raptor:I like Spice and Wolf     a lot too. The character development was excellent. The pace wasn't too slow, but its nice to see complete stranger's learn to trust each other over time :)  
bcasey25raptor bcasey25raptbcasey25raptor   b

May 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #4,293 of 6,444
Quote:
If you are not watching Nichijou now, go watch it. Its awesome mindless fun.

haha.. exactly what I feel. I've already given up in catching all those netas

Quote:

School Days is another story altogether
eek.gif

That's a legend.. ==

Phantom was nice.. and yea its a requiem ==

May 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #4,294 of 6,444
I decided to look up the endings to the School Day's eroge on youtube oneday and well...Those are even better...

I Had no idea a guy could walk over a mile with his guts hanging out... =/

Quote:
haha.. exactly what I feel. I've already given up in catching all those netas

That's a legend.. ==

Phantom was nice.. and yea its a requiem ==

May 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #4,295 of 6,444
Just started Deadman Wonderland. Pretty good so far, only five episodes out. Essentially the main character is convicted for a crime he did not commit and sentenced to death in prison. He is shipped off to Deadman Wonderland, a prison turned theme park (think Disney owned supermax prison). He is then forced to compete in prison games for spectator amusement in order to put off his execution.

May 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #4,296 of 6,444

Quote:
Just started Deadman Wonderland. Pretty good so far, only five episodes out. Essentially the main character is convicted for a crime he did not commit and sentenced to death in prison. He is shipped off to Deadman Wonderland, a prison turned theme park (think Disney owned supermax prison). He is then forced to compete in prison games for spectator amusement in order to put off his execution.

i swear i have heard that plot before.

May 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4,297 of 6,444
Just finished watching Tamayura OVA, its amazing..
Looking forward for its TVA series.

May 18, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #4,298 of 6,444
I loved School Days. And as for dubs, I'll stay with Dragon Ball series for dubs. The Japanese is just...Odd.

Finished (few days ago) watching Summer Wars. It was a cute movie, and maybe a commentary on the hazards of technology. Still working on Arakawa Under The Bridge Bridge, then will move on to MM! and some other random stuff I downloaded.

May 19, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #4,299 of 6,444
I just finished watching Madoka Magica. ...yeah. :p

I really did like it though, I especially loved the art style within most of the "reality marbles."  I wish more anime was like this these days.

Just started watching Eden of the East.  Seems to be interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try.

May 20, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #4,300 of 6,444
well i just finished watching Macross: Do You Remember Love? and i thought it was drastically better than the show was, the characters definitely felt more real. Now obviously it was lacking in exposition and felt highly compressed because it was a movie, but having watched the show first, i "got" it all

May 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #4,301 of 6,444
ok, so i just finished watching Macross Plus, and im gonna go out on a limb here and say its my favorite macross yet. even better than Frontier. No love triangle to get in the way. Though one thing that did bother me was that while overall the animation was leagues better than SDF Macross, the lip syncing was quite a bit worse, which puzzled me. Also i think that the Idol was the worst of the bunch. not because she was the Antagonist, but because her songs sucked. I didnt really like Minmay, but even she was better i though, and Sheryl Nome is definitely still my favorite in that regard. Though, Myung's one song that they have her sing a couple times, is actually pretty good i thought.

Just another update as i work my way through the entire macross catalog :)

oh, i watched the flashback 2012 as well, and what a waste of time, its mainly just songs over footage from the show. But they at will show footage from the show and the movie, just mixing and matching what they will. which considering the differences between the two doesnt make much sense.

And on another note, i thought that most of the shows that were on this week that i watched, Ano Hana, Hidan no Aria, and Denpa Onna, were all kind of subpar compared to what they've done till now.

May 22, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #4,303 of 6,444

Quote:
I did not notice any lip synching when I watched Macross Plus. Have you watched Macross Zero SoupRKnowva?

not yet, im working my way through all of Macross in releas order, and now that i've finished the whole first chunk, ill be taking a break. then itll be time to tackle Macross 7 and then finally Macross Zero. but i did start with macross frontier, and loved it, hence why im watching the rest :)

were friends on Anime-Planet
wink.gif

May 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #4,304 of 6,444
Ugh, why is AnoHana in the noitaminA slot?

The slot is supposed to be reserved for bringing animation to an adult audience, and short of astral projection from a rape dungeon, all we're getting is casper the friendly ghost: loli edition.

I don't really care tha anohana is being aired or whatever, but I'd prefer ifit didn't crap up noitaminA with it's mediocrity, when there could be better shows airing.

Quote:

Doesn't the T221 have pretty wild colors and a long remanence time (not sure it's the correct term). The most common decently sized screens with a good pixel density is the 15"/17" in 1920*1200, or the 16" in full HD.
Were did you see this elusive 15" QXGA?

It had excellent colours for an LCD back in the day, but these days it's pretty average. It has a longer response time (can't remember which) and dual DVI only runs the monitor at full resolution 45hz.

Both screens I refer to are from old thinkpads: the 12.1 1400x1050 is a thinkpad X61T, and the 15" QXGA is from one of the older 15" models, iirc an R50? The 15" QXGA has a response time of like 60ms, though.

AFAIK they were both early on in IPS technology so they're a bit slower than modern screens. But I mostly use screens for work space, and don't work with colours. I prefer the SXGA outright to my 30" ultrasharp (whcih frankly, I want to sell)

May 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #4,305 of 6,444

Quote:
Ugh, why is AnoHana in the noitaminA slot?

The slot is supposed to be reserved for bringing animation to an adult audience, and short of astral projection from a rape dungeon, all we're getting is casper the friendly ghost: loli edition.

I don't really care tha anohana is being aired or whatever, but I'd prefer ifit didn't crap up noitaminA with it's mediocrity, when there could be better shows airing.

The main theme is about memories of past childhood and friendships, I think quite suitable for adult audience..? I don't think adults are only meant to watch 18x or similiar stuffs...
Anohana is the best to me among currently ongoing series, others like Hanasaku/C/Deadman/Denpa/etc come after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back