Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Jul 10, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #3,346 of 6,444
Anything from Taniguchi Goro = automatic watch.

Planetes
Scryed
Gun x Sword
Infinite Ryvius
Code Geass

I began watching his anime since I was in middle school. I loved Scryed to death. Prolly watched it like 10 times.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #3,348 of 6,444

Quote:
God Highschool of the Dead deserves every bit of hype it has gotten.

Really? I liked the first episode, but nothing really happens. I can't see how a person would feel so excited about it they'd make 10+ threads on /a/.
confused.gif

Unless you're just talking about the manga, in that case I wouldn't really know if it's fully deserving of hype.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #3,351 of 6,444
To answer why I'm giving the show high praise, it's like watching one of those grindhouse movies of old. Yes the show lacks any kind of refinement or thematic presence but that's not what HOTD is trying to achieve. The characters, plot, and everything else about it is painfully mundane, but what the show lacks in intelligence it makes up for in pure entertainment. In other words it's a ridiculously fun guilty pleasure with high octane pacing, and a stupid plot that's cobbled together JUST enough for the audience to be immersed in the show's atmosphere. It's like watching Kill Bill if I had to make a film analogy. Not as good as Kill Bill per se, but in the same vein. An anime close to it is Ga-rei Zero which I originally absolutely hated, but after a while I put my mind on autopilot it became amazingly entertaining. I consider Tetsuro Araki to be the Tarantino of anime, he executes his shows very well and his adaptations are always a blast to watch. Not saying it's all him, he had good source material to work with, but he still does a good job transposing the action from paper into animation in a viscerally enjoyable way.

The show isn't trying to be a LotGH, it's dumb fun, and I can really appreciate it for what it's trying to achieve. Of course my rating is tentative, but I trust in my own ability to make inferences based on first impressions.

As long as the anime follows the manga closely, the first episode is very much exactly what you'll be getting. Boobs, zombies, and lots of mindless entertainment. Is HOTD garbage? Well let's see: it offers nothing of intellectual value, offers nothing genre breaking, and the show lacks any kind of emotional investment.Well if that's what you're looking for then yes, HOTD is garbage through and through, but it's a very well executed and stylized piece of garbage. I enjoy it for what it is, others may disagree.

Also I saw the first episode of Ookami and Shiki

Ookami is ridiculously boring and treads such unbearably familiar water that I'm getting deja vu at almost every scene. I'll put it on hold till word of mouth gets around, but J.C. Staff is looking to put out another mediocre rom-com it seems.

as for Shiki it's too early to say. It didn't leave much of a first impression. I'll hold off on my thoughts till I see a bit more. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #3,352 of 6,444
IMO i don't think that the ending is dissapointing , cmon , that IS an ending , you know how in anime they allways do these lame endings where the story does not even conlcude or its just like hey thanks for watching , not real endings , like School Rumble , that is not really and ending .........or sometimes they suck like Mahoromatics ending, Evangelion , Ranma, Love Hina (personally i think they butchered this series on anime , the manga is way better)

Mai Hime has one of the best endings for me because every story has an actual end, but still my favorite is Cowboy Bebop just awsome,

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3,353 of 6,444
Shiki's great so far. I'm excited it came out in anime. I read the novel a long time ago.

Katanagatari vol. 7 is out. I spotted some touhou yukkuri's, funny. The actress who acted as nanami also acted as reimu in touhou anime.

Jul 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #3,354 of 6,444

Quote:
To answer why I'm giving the show high praise, it's like watching one of those grindhouse movies of old. Yes the show lacks any kind of refinement or thematic presence but that's not what HOTD is trying to achieve. The characters, plot, and everything else about it is painfully mundane, but what the show lacks in intelligence it makes up for in pure entertainment. In other words it's a ridiculously fun guilty pleasure with high octane pacing, and a stupid plot that's cobbled together JUST enough for the audience to be immersed in the show's atmosphere. It's like watching Kill Bill if I had to make a film analogy. Not as good as Kill Bill per se, but in the same vein. An anime close to it is Ga-rei Zero which I originally absolutely hated, but after a while I put my mind on autopilot it became amazingly entertaining. I consider Tetsuro Araki to be the Tarantino of anime, he executes his shows very well and his adaptations are always a blast to watch. Not saying it's all him, he had good source material to work with, but he still does a good job transposing the action from paper into animation in a viscerally enjoyable way.

ololol, now I'm interested.  I kind of liked Kill Bill.

Quote:
Also I saw the first episode of Ookami and Shiki

Ookami is ridiculously boring and treads such unbearably familiar water that I'm getting deja vu at almost every scene. I'll put it on hold till word of mouth gets around, but J.C. Staff is looking to put out another mediocre rom-com it seems.

x2 =\

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #3,357 of 6,444
horriblesubs are better than average but are also crunchroll. Seiippai have done the best job of HOTD IMO, but theyre slow. Seiipai is censored, though (fades out for suicide and zombie drill)

At least Eclipse is doing a great job of amagami.

I wonder if frostii/ureshii are going to do anything?

I'm kind of disappointed at the planned progress/method for amagami. Imouto end would be best, but I doubt thats going to happen

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #3,358 of 6,444

Quote:
horriblesubs are better than average but are also crunchroll. Seiippai have done the best job of HOTD IMO, but theyre slow. Seiipai is censored, though (fades out for suicide and zombie drill)

At least Eclipse is doing a great job of amagami.

I wonder if frostii/ureshii are going to do anything?

I'm kind of disappointed at the planned progress/method for amagami. Imouto end would be best, but I doubt thats going to happen

horrible subs also faded put for the zombie drill, does anyone not fade out for that?

i loved eclipse for FMA brotherhood...i also really like neko for Phantom.

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #3,359 of 6,444
Zombie drill is faded out for all television broadcasts (it'll be uncensored on dvd/brd) now that I think about it.

Anxiously awaiting a decent sub of Occult Academy...

In other news, been catching up on anime since I've been busy. Bakatest was pretty disappointing considering the plot ultimately amounted to nothing at all  which is okay if the anime is really really funny (ala lucky star or minami-ke or whatever), but I found it to be just okay. Voyeur was a great character, even if it was the same joke repeatedly..

Jul 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #3,360 of 6,444

Quote:
Zombie drill is faded out for all television broadcasts (it'll be uncensored on dvd/brd) now that I think about it.

Anxiously awaiting a decent sub of Occult Academy...

In other news, been catching up on anime since I've been busy. Bakatest was pretty disappointing considering the plot ultimately amounted to nothing at all  which is okay if the anime is really really funny (ala lucky star or minami-ke or whatever), but I found it to be just okay. Voyeur was a great character, even if it was the same joke repeatedly..

yeah, and everytime someone explodes someones head, it gets faded, i want to see exploding heads!! lol hopefully the BD will remedy this as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back