Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
May 10, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5,941 of 6,444
I'm curious of something: to those who buys anime (in this case I'm seeing equus is but I'm sure there are others) do you buy them licenced and dubbed out import it in Japanese? I've been thinking of 'giving back' but I either am not too comfortable something dubbed and localized or just plain not understanding Japanese without subtitles and if needed cultural explanation.

my reasoning is that since I have money for headphones I might as well buy anime/manga too.

May 10, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #5,942 of 6,444
I only buy original Japanese version, either CD/BD/novel... but I buy very few though = =

May 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #5,943 of 6,444
Personally I would like to watch anime in English as I can, theoretically, focus more on watching rather than reading. But since I've started watching anime from streams and torrents, and seeing how some of the licensed ones are "localized", I grow more to be "purist" for a lack of better terms, and thus am very leery of that ruining the feel for me.

The only thing I am aiming to buy licensed right now is the whole 14 (and counting) volumes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. I bought vol. 12 and I thought the translation/transliteration is quite spot on and the explanation of the culture to be adequate, compared to fan translation. Of course there's some niggle that I'm not too fond of, such as Western arrangement of names (and in that series Japanese arrangement is quite important for its jokes and comedy) but that's just me nitpicking. I have no doubt that I will own all the OSTs imported too if it is still in print. Maybe possibly all the original DVDs/BD, although I can see this skyrocketing my budget LOL. Do note though that I am obsessed with it, so asking me "is it good" could be a mistake LOL.

May 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,944 of 6,444
Quote:
Okey now I have to watch that and see what you're talking about. Haha

He's like a side-side-character, but whatever. I tend to like those types. Micheal was hilarious, too; I felt bad for poor Klan though!

Awesome! Yes, watch it soon for sure. It takes place in August I believe, so summer's a great time to watch it.

No don't!  LOL.  I can't really recommend watching the second Last Exile series.  The first one, whole-heartedly...Fam was just...bleah.  Love the artwork, love the action, but the story and some of the characters were teeth-grinding stupid to me.

I liked Michael's character.  I think I found him more interesting than Luca most of the time.

I think AnoHana might arrive in time for my mom's visit this summer.  She usually watches like a series or two while visiting or when I'm back there.   We'll see if she likes the premise.

Quote:
I'm curious of something: to those who buys anime (in this case I'm seeing equus is but I'm sure there are others) do you buy them licenced and dubbed out import it in Japanese? I've been thinking of 'giving back' but I either am not too comfortable something dubbed and localized or just plain not understanding Japanese without subtitles and if needed cultural explanation.
my reasoning is that since I have money for headphones I might as well buy anime/manga too.

I usually buy US domestic licensed stuff with English subtitles.  I understand very little Japanese, but usually can figure stuff out by context.  I grew up around grandparents who spoke Japanese and very very little English, so there's a part of my brain, I think, that can kind of understand what they're saying and what's going on without worrying too much, but my vocabulary is maybe the equivalent of a 5 year old.  And that might be stretching it.  LOL.

As far as subtitles go, I watched a lot of live action samurai series growing up in Japanese with English subtitles, so I got used to watching programs like that from a very early age.  For me, reading subtitles doesn't disrupt the experience at all...unless the subtitles are obscuring something visually.

As for cultural context, some of it I'm familiar with already, and some of it I'll look up or ask someone I know.  Then again, I understand my experiences and background aren't exactly the same as everyone.  ^.^

May 10, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #5,945 of 6,444
I usually buy US domestic licensed stuff with English subtitles.  I understand very little Japanese, but usually can figure stuff out by context.  I grew up around grandparents who spoke Japanese and very very little English, so there's a part of my brain, I think, that can kind of understand what they're saying and what's going on without worrying too much, but my vocabulary is maybe the equivalent of a 5 year old.  And that might be stretching it.  LOL.

As far as subtitles go, I watched a lot of live action samurai series growing up in Japanese with English subtitles, so I got used to watching programs like that from a very early age.  For me, reading subtitles doesn't disrupt the experience at all...unless the subtitles are obscuring something visually.

As for cultural context, some of it I'm familiar with already, and some of it I'll look up or ask someone I know.  Then again, I understand my experiences and background aren't exactly the same as everyone.  ^.^

Just watching anime and doing a little studying on the side makes it possible for me to sort of understand what people are saying too, without subs. But watching it with subs is still 10x better, and you get used to it very quickly. But then again, when I was a kid I also watched lots of English movies with Dutch subs.

And just watching the hundreds of hours of anime I did, as well as a fair bit of manga, gives you quite a good understanding of Japanese culture, even though it may be colored a bit by the demographic of the two media.

May 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,946 of 6,444
I'm enjoying Sky Girls right now, in addition... I'd like to purchase some Manga or DvD's in all honesty but I don't like dub and I can read subs and enjoy action cuz I'm such a baddie

Still hoping though to get into the other 20+ shows I've downloaded <.<

May 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #5,947 of 6,444
Quote:
Quote:

Just watching anime and doing a little studying on the side makes it possible for me to sort of understand what people are saying too, without subs. But watching it with subs is still 10x better, and you get used to it very quickly. But then again, when I was a kid I also watched lots of English movies with Dutch subs.

And just watching the hundreds of hours of anime I did, as well as a fair bit of manga, gives you quite a good understanding of Japanese culture, even though it may be colored a bit by the demographic of the two media.

Both good points. @equus, have you compared official translation with fansub? Just curious. IMO, judging from the most recent official translation I can found readily, i.e. from Crunchyroll, I do find them getting better, if not still somewhat slightly adapted to suit Western culture. But that's relatively quite a while ago, so I may be talking out of my arse. I somehow find it funny how sometimes the fansubs looks more hardworking, even though they do it for free. *shrug*

May 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5,948 of 6,444
Quote:

Both good points. @equus, have you compared official translation with fansub? Just curious. IMO, judging from the most recent official translation I can found readily, i.e. from Crunchyroll, I do find them getting better, if not still somewhat slightly adapted to suit Western culture. But that's relatively quite a while ago, so I may be talking out of my arse. I somehow find it funny how sometimes the fansubs looks more hardworking, even though they do it for free. *shrug*

I find it hit and miss, honestly.  I sometimes don't agree with how things are translated whether it's a fansub or official localization, and a lot of it comes down to the fansub group or particular translator.  The thing that usually irks me the most is actually if there's a change done during localization.  Like editing of scenes due to content or putting in different insert music or something.  Sometimes it's understandable and mostly done because of legal challenges, but sometimes I think it's done to try to make something more recognizable or something to a Western audience, and it doesn't always flow very well.  In general, I usually am content with both fansubs and official subs, however.  The last time I saw a really off fansub was because it was one of those really quick and dirty fansub groups and the translator couldn't understand what the character was saying at all.  There was a part of the conversation where the sub went something like "#$@% something I really couldn't catch".   It mostly made me laugh though.

May 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5,949 of 6,444
Quote:

I find it hit and miss, honestly.  I sometimes don't agree with how things are translated whether it's a fansub or official localization, and a lot of it comes down to the fansub group or particular translator.  The thing that usually irks me the most is actually if there's a change done during localization.  Like editing of scenes due to content or putting in different insert music or something.  Sometimes it's understandable and mostly done because of legal challenges, but sometimes I think it's done to try to make something more recognizable or something to a Western audience, and it doesn't always flow very well.  In general, I usually am content with both fansubs and official subs, however.  The last time I saw a really off fansub was because it was one of those really quick and dirty fansub groups and the translator couldn't understand what the character was saying at all.  There was a part of the conversation where the sub went something like "#$@% something I really couldn't catch".   It mostly made me laugh though.

To be honest though, I won't know if it is an almost word-by-word translation or a "situation" translation, because of my lacking knowledge of Japanese. But something less subtle as making something more suited to a Western audience would certainly raise some flags for me. Here's to a better translation all around, both official and fansubs.

I do agree though if I got some horrible speedsub that it would be funny. But that's why I never get any speedsub. 
wink.gif

May 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #5,950 of 6,444
hmm, I prefer word-by-word translation.. anyway I don't care much about subtitle nowadays

I actually think it shouldn't be too difficult for an anime lover to pick up Japanese..

May 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5,951 of 6,444
Quote:

The only thing I am aiming to buy licensed right now is the whole 14 (and counting) volumes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Oh god, Zetsubou Sensei is hilarious.

Quote:

No don't!  LOL.  I can't really recommend watching the second Last Exile series.  The first one, whole-heartedly...Fam was just...bleah.  Love the artwork, love the action, but the story and some of the characters were teeth-grinding stupid to me.

I liked Michael's character.  I think I found him more interesting than Luca most of the time.

I think AnoHana might arrive in time for my mom's visit this summer.  She usually watches like a series or two while visiting or when I'm back there.   We'll see if she likes the premise.

Alright, I won't! Haha.

Michael was great. It does bug me that Luca didn't get as developed, but I don't think anyone can deny that's he's pretty much just adorable. XD

That sounds nice!

May 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #5,952 of 6,444
Quote:
hmm, I prefer word-by-word translation.. anyway I don't care much about subtitle nowadays

I actually think it shouldn't be too difficult for an anime lover to pick up Japanese..

Yes. Especially if you've become an obsessed fan of a word- and culture-heavy satire manga/anime. *cough*me*cough*

Quote:
Quote:

The only thing I am aiming to buy licensed right now is the whole 14 (and counting) volumes of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

Oh god, Zetsubou Sensei is hilarious.

Dear god another Zetsubou Sensei fan! Two things great things happened since I joined Head-Fi: headphones and other Zetsubou Sensei fans. Fun times. Although one of them is leaving a nice gigantic hole in my wallet! 
ph34r.gif

May 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #5,953 of 6,444

It isn't difficult, no. But it takes a lot of time to learn a language to the point where you can watch shows without subtitles.
And you won't be able to learn it with just watching anime. You need to practice grammar and vocabulary (and perhaps writing) as well, which requires quite a bit of discipline to do properly if you don't actually follow a course.

I aim to get on JLPT 2 level next year, which should be possible since I tend to spend about 30min to 1 hour on studying Japanese each day.

May 11, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #5,954 of 6,444
Of the NEW new ones (in order of must watch to still awesome):

So far:

Sakamichi No Apollon (I love everything about this show, EVERYTHING) 10/10
Space Brothers (^ x2) 9.5/10
Sankarea (yes please, she's got me hooked) 9/10
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (like Sankarea, I love the main female) 9/10
Acchi Kocchi (I love simple, cute, and funny shows like this) 8/10
Nazo No Kanojo X (odd, but still interested) (7.5/10)

Those are the standouts for me. Tsuritama was a bit too out there for me, so passed after a few eps.

As far as the returning shows:

Fate/Zero (duh!) (9/10)
Lupin The Third: Mine Fujiko (respect the classics, and love that it looks/feels old school) (9/10)
Kore Wa Zombie Desuka 2nd season (the ridiculousness of it is a charm) (8/10)

...are a definite must watch.

Naruto is finally back to to meat of the story, so I've picked it back up.

Nothing else impressed me past the first or 2nd episode. Eureka Seven... I guess I just couldn't get into it, and I liked the first series. Guess I've outgrown it.

May 11, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #5,955 of 6,444
Quote:
It isn't difficult, no. But it takes a lot of time to learn a language to the point where you can watch shows without subtitles.
And you won't be able to learn it with just watching anime. You need to practice grammar and vocabulary (and perhaps writing) as well, which requires quite a bit of discipline to do properly if you don't actually follow a course.
I aim to get on JLPT 2 level next year, which should be possible since I tend to spend about 30min to 1 hour on studying Japanese each day.

If you can spend that much effort daily, I think you should just go for N1 instead..

I passed N1 with 153/180 last Dec without preparing anything as it was very close to my school exam, and that was also my first try on JLPT.
I did attend my university's japanese elective courses for academic points though, but that was more like doing revision rather than learning new stuffs most of the time...
Besides of that, I've read like about 3 volumes of light novels, its not really a lot but definitely helped a lot in getting used to read (especially Kanji).
So basically I think my ~4yrs of anime-watching history contributed the most..

Btw grammar is more like an intuitive stuff to me, quite different from vocabulary which you really need to memorize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back