Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Nov 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #5,521 of 6,444
My all time favorite anime (haven't watched much recently, but would watch this show again any time) is Samurai Champloo. I just love the characters and the humor mixed with more serious darker overall plot. I would give it ***** as it is the best I have ever watched and it only gets better every time I watch it. This is made by the same guy who made Cowboy Bepop..

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #5,522 of 6,444

Quote:
My all time favorite anime (haven't watched much recently, but would watch this show again any time) is Samurai Champloo. I just love the characters and the humor mixed with more serious darker overall plot. I would give it ***** as it is the best I have ever watched and it only gets better every time I watch it. This is made by the same guy who made Cowboy Bepop..

hmm...i didnt know the same guy made them both. I guess that would explain my dislike of them both....i watched Cowboy Bebop like a year ago, and catalogued that experience on here. i didnt much care for it, and wanted to drop it numerous times, but forced myself to finish it since everyone thinks its the best thing ever. But with champloo, i just quit after ep 5 it wasnt doing it for me at all.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #5,523 of 6,444
Watching the latest episode of Mashiro-Iro...Definitely will not drop show, despite it being a harem. It is oh-so-cute and funny. Why can't school be a little more light hearted? Well, at least in my situation. Complicated, very much anime-like situation right now. Seems that I have a knack for finding myself in these situations.

I like Mashiro-Iro Symphony as well. I also think that the characters look very stunning, so they did a really good job on character design.

How can you watch it on Tuesday btw? Do you speak Japanese?
I have to wait until Thursday before the subbed version is usually released.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #5,524 of 6,444

Quote:
I like Mashiro-Iro Symphony as well. I also think that the characters look very stunning, so they did a really good job on character design.

not that im watching it, but it shows up on crunchyroll on saturdays.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #5,526 of 6,444

Quote:

At some point, you start picking up on Japanese without even realizing it, to the extent you can understand what's going on. It's like TK from Angel Beats, who knew just enough to get around.
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Oh and the headspins. I should really go rewatch that show...

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #5,527 of 6,444
^ Haha, my Japanese friends ask how I know what they're talking about sometimes. I just get the gist of the conversation through my limited vocab and verbs.

I don't let them know that I learn quite a few words from watching fansubs. >.<

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #5,528 of 6,444
At some point, you start picking up on Japanese without even realizing it, to the extent you can understand what's going on. It's like TK from Angel Beats, who knew just enough to get around.
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door". Oh and the headspins. I should really go rewatch that show...

I know what you mean. I can usually get what's going on without looking at the subs and just listening. However my Japanese is still not good enough to watch an entire show without subs.

And indeed, Angel Beats was awesome. I didn't really like TK as a character though.

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #5,529 of 6,444
AngelBeats was pretty good.. It was a little 'otherworldy hypothetical' and much of the time slow, but it was overall a good, pretty endearing anime. ; ) Especially near the end!

Just finished Sora No Otoshimono a couple days ago... Nymph's a babe.

Hilarious show, nonstop-funny, and entertaining. The best part was how detailed/refined the characters were and the artwork. Lots of humor and gobs of immodest horseplay!

1. My favorite attribute that defined the anime from others! Fanservice was not needless fanservice! It didn't really 'bait' you and needlessly fanservice you as much as it was all tied in with strong character dev, and implorable comic. Enjoyable anime with A+ soundtrack to boot. And it rarely got slow.

1. This was one of the most enjoyable marathons that I totally lost track of the time with!

I'm not sure it's one of my favorites hands down, but there was such a variety of criteria that this anime covered immaculately well! Character Dev and meaning to the story being the most impressive!

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5,530 of 6,444
Anyone have any favourite subbers out there?

I usually jump around for the best subbers for each show but I particularly like Doki and Commie's style of subbing. 

My criteria is a fine balance between speed and quality. ^_^

Nov 11, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #5,531 of 6,444

Quote:

I usually jump around for the best subbers for each show but I particularly like Doki and Commie's style of subbing. 

I'm into just well.. The quality of the communication, yea. Too bad THORA isn't making any more. (at least I don't think so) I always found his subs nothing short of amazing (like very good).

I especially appreciated it for Code Geass.. The other translations just weren't the same, and that being quite possibly the most physchologically complex / high intelligence main characters / twisted turn of events show out there it was really appreciated. It took high level of communication to translate lelouches intelligence, wrath, and unparallelled brilliance. To top this off it was an action packed show and very complex. Conclusion, best translation I've seen by a far distance. I wouldn't doubt if it was actually better than the original some of the time, it was truly both sublime and a spectacle.

Other than that, I've just been bouncing around, but am still looking for others.

THORA's translations are a privilege... If I had one 'Anime Regret', it'd be wishing for him to make more. The quality, size of the files, and especially sheer translation capabilities that guy has rivet me to the very core.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #5,532 of 6,444

Quote:

commie isnt terrible, RHE should work on his encoding, but if you only care about the quality of the subs its usually pretty good since he starts with official subs anyways. Doki on the other hand is one of the worst groups in fansubbing, specially now that Horo has stepped down as the leader. THe only groups that ill watch before any others like no matter what are GotWoot and UTW and frostii. what you should do though is check http://www.whiners.pro/ here for reviews of fansub releases from the perspective of the editor, which isnt always the best option since hes not actually reviewing the quality of the TL and check http://8thsinfansubs.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/fall-2011-subtitle-reviews/ here, since hes one of the best fansub TLs there is and he rates releases based on TL quality.

Quote:
I'm into just well.. The quality of the communication, yea. Too bad THORA isn't making any more. (at least I don't think so) I always found his subs nothing short of amazing (like very good).

I especially appreciated it for Code Geass.. The other translations just weren't the same, and that being quite possibly the most physchologically complex / high intelligence main characters / twisted turn of events show out there it was really appreciated. It took high level of communication to translate lelouches intelligence, wrath, and unparallelled brilliance. To top this off it was an action packed show and very complex. Conclusion, best translation I've seen by a far distance. I wouldn't doubt if it was actually better than the original some of the time, it was truly both sublime and a spectacle.

Other than that, I've just been bouncing around, but am still looking for others.

THORA's translations are a privilege... If I had one 'Anime Regret', it'd be wishing for him to make more. The quality, size of the files, and especially sheer translation capabilities that guy has rivet me to the very core.

im not trying to jump down your throat or anything but THORA is a rip group not a sub group. they dont TL, they use other groups TLs just like coalgirls, rizlim, joselle, revo, Afternoon Naps Empire(who is my favorite rip group) etc..

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #5,533 of 6,444

Quote:
commie isnt terrible, RHE should work on his encoding, but if you only care about the quality of the subs its usually pretty good since he starts with official subs anyways. Doki on the other hand is one of the worst groups in fansubbing, specially now that Horo has stepped down as the leader. 

Hmmm I see. I use ji-hi.net and whiners.pro as well for my comparisons. Not sure about Doki currently as I'm not watching any shows with them (they seem to have gotten slower lately) but I liked their subs over the last 3 seasons.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #5,534 of 6,444

Quote:
im not trying to jump down your throat or anything but THORA is a rip group not a sub group. they dont TL, they use other groups TLs just like coalgirls, rizlim, joselle, revo, Afternoon Naps Empire(who is my favorite rip group) etc..

Oh... Thank you for clarifying! That was an eye opener for me. I thought thora was one person.

(btw, do you know if they're making any more TL's?

Nov 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #5,535 of 6,444
S-cry-ed XD

As much as I enjoy the dvd's and the english dub, the new blueray looks so nice.

the same can be said of Gundam SEED; and I'm so happy that the original frames for the series were in widescreen. Why it wasn't initially released on dvd in widescreen i don't know. 

I've been pretty much reliving 2000-2005 
biggrin.gif

Why was the HD remaster of Gundam Wing down-converted to standard definition dvd though? Pisses me off, stupid thing to do after all that work for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back