Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Nov 14, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5,536 of 6,444

Quote:
S-cry-ed XD

As much as I enjoy the dvd's and the english dub, the new blueray looks so nice.

the same can be said of Gundam SEED; and I'm so happy that the original frames for the series were in widescreen. Why it wasn't initially released on dvd in widescreen i don't know. 

I've been pretty much reliving 2000-2005 
biggrin.gif

Why was the HD remaster of Gundam Wing down-converted to standard definition dvd though? Pisses me off, stupid thing to do after all that work for it.

Some things, we'll never know. (Complications of life aside) The newer Gundam AGE is...Too light. What is this, Gundam for 10 year olds? Any deaths have really been off screen.
Anyways, still watching C3 and eagerly waiting for tuesday (Mashiro-Iro raws). I'm really liking the hilarity of the show, balanced by a nice touch of blood and violence. Cursed with good luck?
k701smile.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #5,538 of 6,444

Quote:
I like Mashiro-Iro Symphony as well. I also think that the characters look very stunning, so they did a really good job on character design.

Quote:
Hmmm I see. I use ji-hi.net ... for my comparisons. Not sure about Doki currently as I'm not watching any shows with them (they seem to have gotten slower lately) but I liked their subs over the last 3 seasons.

c858017a_1272329653055.jpg

Quote:
S-cry-ed XD

That brings back memories.  I watched it on Adult Swim years ago.  A friend said that it was an "X-Men rip-off" then.  I wouldn't know.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5,539 of 6,444

Quote:
Why was the HD remaster of Gundam Wing down-converted to standard definition dvd though? Pisses me off, stupid thing to do after all that work for it.

Usually it just means in this case Emotion aka Bandai Visual has a made a new master.
Region 2 Japanese anime DVDs of old shows have incredible remastering jobs they completely restored and cleaned every single frame.
Now they won't ever have to fix up a old show again.
I think pretty much every anime ever has been cleaned up and restored for DVD and released in Japan some shows getting their first ever video release.
Who knows if a Blu Ray version will actually come out.
The DVD is pretty high quality. And a lot of people just payed $300-$1000+ for a series will they really double dip?

Pretty much all anime on Japanese DVDs are higher quality than North American DVD releases.
Usually North American license gets the broadcast or Laserdisc masters for old shows. Although depending when they got the license of a show they might have been able to get the Japanese DVD masters.

And some have done their own so called remastering like Funimation and the horrible hack job they did with Dragon Ball.

I'm not sure but maybe not every show makes a huge difference and DVD version is just find for now.
Especially with upscaling DVD players.
Movies look better but I really don't care about Blu Ray.
Digital paint anime really don't care.
Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise cel animation movie Blu Ray versus DVD incredible difference if all cel animation has that much improvement then yes for Blu Ray.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #5,540 of 6,444
Quote:

That brings back memories.  I watched it on Adult Swim years ago.  A friend said that it was an "X-Men rip-off" then.  I wouldn't know.

Basically a japanese X-Men in concept, but its delivery was quite original with its jazzy soundtrack.

Quote:
Usually it just means in this case Emotion aka Bandai Visual has a made a new master.
Region 2 Japanese anime DVDs of old shows have incredible remastering jobs they completely restored and cleaned every single frame.
Now they won't ever have to fix up a old show again.
I think pretty much every anime ever has been cleaned up and restored for DVD and released in Japan some shows getting their first ever video release.
Who knows if a Blu Ray version will actually come out.
The DVD is pretty high quality. And a lot of people just payed $300-$1000+ for a series will they really double dip?

Pretty much all anime on Japanese DVDs are higher quality than North American DVD releases.
Usually North American license gets the broadcast or Laserdisc masters for old shows. Although depending when they got the license of a show they might have been able to get the Japanese DVD masters.

And some have done their own so called remastering like Funimation and the horrible hack job they did with Dragon Ball.

I'm not sure but maybe not every show makes a huge difference and DVD version is just find for now.
Especially with upscaling DVD players.
Movies look better but I really don't care about Blu Ray.
Digital paint anime really don't care.
Royal Space Force Wings of Honneamise cel animation movie Blu Ray versus DVD incredible difference if all cel animation has that much improvement then yes for Blu Ray.

Very true, the Japanese release of G Wing is vastly superior to the early 2000's US release that I have. I know from experience that Anime Legends releases are basically worthless in that you get what you pay for; garbage in garbage out. Pay $40 for an entire series then don't expect it to look good. I've learned from buying the s-cry-ed and G Gundam releases. Didn't exactly help G Gundam to say the least.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #5,541 of 6,444
I would think Bandai Ent the North American company uses the same masters as Bandai Visual in Japan does.

Wing was put on DVD from old masters Laserdisc master??? in 2000/2001.
Emotion/Bandai Visual years later put out what basically what every anime in Japan got a restored/remastered DVD release in 2007.
With Gundam in 2001 Bandai Visual made it where Bandai Ent couldn't release a Gundam series on DVD before a Japanese DVD release and if they did it got English dub only like the 0079 TV series. Only this year is it finally coming out with the Japanese version.

New shows like Scryed should use the same masters it was made and done in a time where stuff isn't degrading.

Z Gundam Bandai Ent had the Japanese DVD masters. Only issue with the release was the opening and ending vocal songs couldn't be put on the DVD in North America for some weird license thing.

G Gundam came out on Japanese DVD earlier than expected because it was the next show for release in North America I would think they used the same masters but I don't know for sure.

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #5,542 of 6,444
Quote:
I would think Bandai Ent the North American company uses the same masters as Bandai Visual in Japan does.

Wing was put on DVD from old masters Laserdisc master??? in 2000/2001.
Emotion/Bandai Visual years later put out what basically what every anime in Japan got a restored/remastered DVD release in 2007.
With Gundam in 2001 Bandai Visual made it where Bandai Ent couldn't release a Gundam series on DVD before a Japanese DVD release and if they did it got English dub only like the 0079 TV series. Only this year is it finally coming out with the Japanese version.

New shows like Scryed should use the same masters it was made and done in a time where stuff isn't degrading.

Z Gundam Bandai Ent had the Japanese DVD masters. Only issue with the release was the opening and ending vocal songs couldn't be put on the DVD in North America for some weird license thing.

G Gundam came out on Japanese DVD earlier than expected because it was the next show for release in North America I would think they used the same masters but I don't know for sure.

The problem isn't that the masters weren't the same in all cases, its that releases like "Anime Legends" often further compressed the video to fit as many as 5 or more episodes on a single disc.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #5,543 of 6,444
Like many other people in this thread, I've recently been enjoying Fate/Zero, Ben-to, Guilty Crown, and Mawaru Penguindrum.  I'm very impressed with how ufotable is handling Fate/Zero.  The pacing may be somewhat on the slow side, but the animation is gorgeous and the soundtrack is great.  Ben-to is surprisingly hilarious, although I would prefer they kept their nonsensical nature instead of pretending that they have a plot.  Guilty Crown gives me some Code Geass flashbacks and the main characters is as spineless as they come, but the show is rather entertaining at the moment.  And Mawaru Penguindrum technically came out last season, but I like the unpredictability of the show.  The insane characters and the crazy plot steers make for an engaging show with no end in sight.

I've yet to check out some of the other shows this season like Mirai Nikki, or Haganai, but I'm very happy with this current season of anime.  I'm also looking forward to the Nisemonogatari next season, since Bakemonogatari was a great series.  I don't recognize any of the non-sequels being released next season though, so anyone know if there are other shows worth keeping an eye out for?

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #5,544 of 6,444

Quote:
Quote:

The problem isn't that the masters weren't the same in all cases, its that releases like "Anime Legends" often further compressed the video to fit as many as 5 or more episodes on a single disc.

There Anime Legends releases are the same discs as the old singles they put out for the series years ago.
Most of their stuff is 4 episodes a disc and some series have 5 episodes if it was a long series or they felt they needed to give value to the series.
Usually a 26 episode series went 5-5-4-4-4-4 6 discs.
But like Escaflowne was 4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 -8 discs.
Back when Anime DVDs came out for a msrp of $29.99 for one disc good value release was considered 5 episodes a disc. Anything less than 4 usually resulted in complaints.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #5,545 of 6,444
Quote:
There Anime Legends releases are the same discs as the old singles they put out for the series years ago.
Most of their stuff is 4 episodes a disc and some series have 5 episodes if it was a long series or they felt they needed to give value to the series.
Usually a 26 episode series went 5-5-4-4-4-4 6 discs.
But like Escaflowne was 4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3 -8 discs.
Back when Anime DVDs came out for a msrp of $29.99 for one disc good value release was considered 5 episodes a disc. Anything less than 4 usually resulted in complaints.

I'm going to have to thank you for explaining this for me mibutenma; I just went through my old releases and my old Gundam Wing box set might be fake, it is not the complete operations boxed set (10 discs without the ova/movie)

My box set goes like this:
8-8-8-8-8-9+ova/movie 7 discs

Seems my mother bought the entire series on ebay for $40 when I asked for it as a child, rather than the $40+40 that the Anime Legends release goes for -which splits the series across 10 discs, 5 per release.

All my other series such as G Gundam and s-cry-ed I bought myself at bestbuy; G Gundam itself did vary in quality per episode and contained some green artifacts in the darker colors which was nature of the animation back then, and it never really looked as good as the op sequences (especially the second op)

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #5,546 of 6,444
Just watched the latest raw of Mashiro-Iro..
Things are starting to heat up for Mr. Shingo. That episode reminds me of last year, in a bad way. Ah well, at least it's still got the lightheartedness to make up for it. Foreshadowing going on for the probable character the mc will end up with.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5,547 of 6,444
Not Sena?

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #5,549 of 6,444

Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to have to thank you for explaining this for me mibutenma; I just went through my old releases and my old Gundam Wing box set might be fake, it is not the complete operations boxed set (10 discs without the ova/movie)

My box set goes like this:
8-8-8-8-8-9+ova/movie 7 discs

Seems my mother bought the entire series on ebay for $40 when I asked for it as a child, rather than the $40+40 that the Anime Legends release goes for -which splits the series across 10 discs, 5 per release.

All my other series such as G Gundam and s-cry-ed I bought myself at bestbuy; G Gundam itself did vary in quality per episode and contained some green artifacts in the darker colors which was nature of the animation back then, and it never really looked as good as the op sequences (especially the second op)

It's a fake unfortunately.That's probably why the video quality is bad.
Wing was put out as 10 single discs with 5 episodes each and 4 for disc 10.
The Endless Waltz OVA/Movie was a 11th disc and not included with the TV series.
With the Anime Legends each one is 5 discs episode 1-25 and part 2 26-49.

All Anime Legends I've seen are the same discs as the old single disc releases just put in small case fitting a whole series or half a series.

The single disc North American release discs look like this.
I assume the Anime Legends are the same discs.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #5,550 of 6,444
Just watched the latest raw of Mashiro-Iro..
Things are starting to heat up for Mr. Shingo. That episode reminds me of last year, in a bad way. Ah well, at least it's still got the lightheartedness to make up for it. Foreshadowing going on for the probable character the mc will end up with.
Nah, even more for Sena. She's the only one left out right now. I smell a possibility of jealousy next episode.
k701smile.gif

Anyways...Pushing a bad flashback out of mind.

That's so unfair. I have to wait 'till Thursday.
And on top of that you go spoiling the plot as well!

(I wish I spoke Japanese. *sighs*)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back