Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 20, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #481 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Hrm, not a fan of angelic layer here. You have to really like Clamp and ... pokemon style stuff
tongue.gif
I mean that in a good way
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, I'm not too crazy about Pokemon-style and/or card dueling anime. :p You may have brushed it off a little too early as there's a lot more going on than just the robot fighting. But I respect your opinion
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #482 of 6,444
Maybe I'll give it another shot
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #483 of 6,444
Angelic Layer really is an excellent series, if you can deal with the fact that it's basically a show about girls playing with dolls and their relationships with each other. That's what turns most guys away from the series, but hey, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to say that I've watched it and liked it. It's a bargain too at $30 for the complete series on R1 DVD.

I'd also say that the fighting is a lot better than the most series that I've seen. It's very low in the "mega in-fight power level boosting" catagory that plagues series like Naruto/Bleach/DBZ.

Feb 21, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #484 of 6,444
Well, my idea of a good fight is either berserk or PrideFC, so that's probably not why I'll be watching.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #485 of 6,444
Lol, actually, the fights are pretty well-choreographed and quite fancy. Rather light and pleasant overall but it's the only Clamp anime I could watch till the end.

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #486 of 6,444
Couldn't finish X? Heh, I rather liked that too. Series not movie though. Movie was rather painful with how fast they intro'ed then killed characters. Great animation and fighting though.

Feb 21, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #487 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Couldn't finish X? Heh, I rather liked that too. Series not movie though. Movie was rather painful with how fast they intro'ed then killed characters. Great animation and fighting though.

I liked different aspects of each. I liked the anime for the storyline and character development. Much better then the path the movie took at just slaughtering everyone off as quickly as possible. But I loved the ending of the movie as compared to the series. This has got to be one of the most emotional and disturbing endings. Whereas in the series the ending was rather bland and boring.

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #489 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
Yes it was, thanks.

I also think that Major is pretty good and rather underrated. Certainly one of the better sports anime out there. Not very deep but lots of fun to watch. Kind of like Whistle.

I just watched the trailer for the My HiME movie, which seems to screw with things further by going back to the My HiME world, but putting Arika into it. I predict that by the time that comes out everyone will be _royally_ confused.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #490 of 6,444
Sorry -- newb/latecomer to this thread. Just a coupla comments, will have to read this whole thread later.

Whoa, they made Berserk into an anime? That manga was sick.

Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex should be a default answer. Simply superb, but not without the occasional demerits (inconsistent animation quality).

Kite, MezzoForte. Simply gorgeous beyond words. I actually prefered the censored version of Kite, the "Director's Cut" didn't make sense to me. Need to check out the Mezzo series.

Blood, the Last Vampire -- wonderful first stab at digital/handmade hybrid work.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is mostly about series -- don't have time to watch them all.

I know Thrice has been nagging me to watch Wolf's Rain. Want to, dude, I really do.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #491 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Blood, the Last Vampire -- wonderful first stab at digital/handmade hybrid work.

I didn't like this one much. Way too short and story was weak. Animation was ok though.

Feb 22, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #492 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Angelic Layer really is an excellent series, if you can deal with the fact that it's basically a show about girls playing with dolls and their relationships with each other. That's what turns most guys away from the series, but hey, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to say that I've watched it and liked it. It's a bargain too at $30 for the complete series on R1 DVD.

I'd also say that the fighting is a lot better than the most series that I've seen. It's very low in the "mega in-fight power level boosting" catagory that plagues series like Naruto/Bleach/DBZ.

Have to agree. Bought it as it was being released a couple years back (it was expen$ive back then). It was a great show despite, well the obvious girly-ness. I balanced it off by watching a few eps of Devil Lady beforehand
biggrin.gif
It's CLAMP and BONES - how can you go wrong?

Finished Scrapped Princess a couple weekends ago, now I'm quite saddened that I don't have that next disc to look forward too. Fantastic show.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #493 of 6,444
Angelic Layer was a decent show but I think it would have been better at half the length, I found it far to predictable and repetitive. Obviously targetted as an episodic series for younger audiences. As far as Clamp series go I got much more enjoyment from chobits, mainly in the form of laughing.
biggrin.gif

Scrapped princess was definitely very good, and not what I expected it to be. Unique exectution to that sort of story line (won't say any more...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #494 of 6,444
Scrapped Princess was good. It was amusingly gun nutty for a series that doesn't feature any actual guns. The DVD transfer was pretty crappy though, easily the worst I've seen recently. Still, only 6 discs for R1 release which is a very good thing.

Of the other stuff I've seen recently, I really liked Gunslinger Girls. It's a wonderful combination of guns, cute girls, and emotional exploitation that I haven't seen since Saikano, though it does avoid Saikano's crushing depressiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back