Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 23, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #3,616 of 6,444
I liked both FMA's, but perhaps Brotherhood just a bit better..... I like the Manga the most though
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #3,619 of 6,444
I love Hidamari Sketch so much. But anyway...

Brotherhood is so much better than the original FMA it's ridiculous. Not just artstyle, but in terms of the actual direction / directing of the episodes. It doesn't insult one's intelligence nearly as much as the first, which just seems sloppy in comparison to the tightly-wound narration Brotherhood.

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #3,620 of 6,444

Quote:
I love Hidamari Sketch so much. But anyway...

Brotherhood is so much better than the original FMA it's ridiculous. Not just artstyle, but in terms of the actual direction / directing of the episodes. It doesn't insult one's intelligence nearly as much as the first, which just seems sloppy in comparison to the tightly-wound narration Brotherhood.

I feel the same way. They botched the first FMA up so bad it's not even funny.

Sep 24, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #3,622 of 6,444

Quote:
I feel the same way. They botched the first FMA up so bad it's not even funny.

Funny thing is that I read the writer of FMA specifically requested that the ending of the anime not follow the ending of the manga for the 2003 series because she believed that it was a bad experience for readers and viewers to basically get the same story twice.  Then I guess  whatever process they had to make the storyline for the anime came up with the wackiness that was the 2003 anime.  Don't know what happened to change her mind about the new series...manga being done or whatever.

On a different topic, noticed you had Simoun on your list of faves, MuppetFace.  Always interesting to see fans of that series...I actually liked it a lot, but I don't know many people who have heard of it.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #3,623 of 6,444

Quote:
On a different topic, noticed you had Simoun on your list of faves, MuppetFace.  Always interesting to see fans of that series...I actually liked it a lot, but I don't know many people who have heard of it.

It seems to be fairly popular among yuri / shoujo-ai fans such as myself. A shame it isn't more well known, as I'm sure it would appeal to a more general audience.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #3,624 of 6,444
I think the yuri angle got hyped and the box art is a little...no...more than a little...on the suggestive side.  The series itself, to me, is way more than that.  It really is a shame it didn't get more attention, but I think a lot of people latched on to the yuri aspects and the lack of English dub didn't help it either.  Still made a top 25 list for me a little while back.

Sep 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #3,625 of 6,444

Quote:
I think the yuri angle got hyped and the box art is a little...no...more than a little...on the suggestive side.  The series itself, to me, is way more than that.  It really is a shame it didn't get more attention, but I think a lot of people latched on to the yuri aspects and the lack of English dub didn't help it either.  Still made a top 25 list for me a little while back.

If you look at the box art for a lot of anime you'll often see girls all over one another, and most of the time there isn't even ANY yuri content in the show. That's marketing for you.

As for Simoun, I agree that it has a wide appeal and that there are other things to appreciate aside from the yuri content. The reason for the hyping of the yuri content in my opinion is because the yuri fandom is very desperate for quality new material. Yaoi is far, far, FAR more prevalent in comparison. Yuri fans have often been baited with promises from shows, which at best turn out to be one or two small scenes between minor characters and at worst something that turns out to involve tentacle monsters or something. The actual number of shows out there which provide genuine romance between two girls without some sort of disappointing catch is quite small.

Simoun is a rarity for yuri fans in that it is extremely high quality, has an interesting story, and has a yuri couple that is central to the story who actually end up happy together (gasp).

So yes, while the average Joe can appreciate Simoun as a quality anime, most yuri fans I know WORSHIP the series. It's important to us because it's a example of quality within our fandom which normally has to deal with loads of garbage.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3,626 of 6,444
Yeah, marketing can be pretty evil and/or misleading.  I remember being absolutely turned off of Coyote Ragtime Show because of the babes/breasts/bullets aim of the marketing, but read a positive review about it so gave it a shot.  Was totally not what I expected, and had something like 10% of the expected fan service.

Never really thought about it, but I believe you are totally right about the marketing and production being far more biased towards yaoi.  Just thinking about the merchants' rooms at the local con and how many tables of doujinshi are geared toward yaoi in comparison to the relative lack of yuri stuff.  I'm pretty stoked that there is a portion of fandom out there that really does heartily appreciate the show, since I unfortunately think the average Joe usually doesn't give the series a chance.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #3,627 of 6,444
I really should watch Simoun. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I don't know why I haven't bothered to get it.

Although I admit I'm a fan of the simpler yuri stuff, that sometimes people, even yuri fan hate, like Strawberry Panic. I'm probably more of the "average joe" yuri fan, now that I think about it. lol.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #3,628 of 6,444
I recently bought Freedom anime. Will see if it is good or not.

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #3,629 of 6,444

Quote:
I really should watch Simoun. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I don't know why I haven't bothered to get it.

Although I admit I'm a fan of the simpler yuri stuff, that sometimes people, even yuri fan hate, like Strawberry Panic. I'm probably more of the "average joe" yuri fan, now that I think about it. lol.

Can't believe I forgot Strawberry Panic! That was a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of the evil duo Kaname x Momomi.

I definitely prefer Maria-sama ga Miteru though. In fact, Marimite is my favorite anime of all time. Season 4 was pure tsundere fueled win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back