Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Sep 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3,586 of 6,444

Quote:
Tatami Galaxy is from the same guys as Kaiba IIRC, as is another show called Kemonozume, which you might also enjoy. Although the ideas are somewhat different, the execution is similar for Tatami and Kaiba.

Some people prefer Tatami to Kaiba, however I am strongly in the Kaiba camp.

I also disliked Ghost Hound. It certainly seemed promising in the first episode or so, but I quickly fell out of interest after it became psych 101.

I've already watched Kemonozume, cat soup, and Mind Game but although they were good, Kaiba was more to my liking, mainly because Yuasa's obsessions were more toned down and the story/characters more to the forefront in this one. I am glad that Madhouse has started producing some unconventional anime again, they showed great potential till 2003 and then they started producing shonen crap after shonen crap.

Now if only the Studio 4 making a Berserk anime rumor ever comes true!

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #3,589 of 6,444

Quote:
definitely! its way to expensive and lacking in subs to order it from japan.

I just can't imagine how they can get away with their pricing. I was dead set on buying the Planetes Blu-Ray box set, until I realised it was over $500 US to import it. Even if it's a considerable amount cheaper over there it's hard to imagine enough people being willing to get gouged like that.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #3,590 of 6,444
Fact of the matter is that they just aren't that much cheaper in Japan. They pay a LOT for dvd's in general and even more for blu-ray. It's not just anime either, media is just VERY expensive over there.

Quote:
I just can't imagine how they can get away with their pricing. I was dead set on buying the Planetes Blu-Ray box set, until I realised it was over $500 US to import it. Even if it's a considerable amount cheaper over there it's hard to imagine enough people being willing to get gouged like that.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #3,591 of 6,444

Quote:
Fact of the matter is that they just aren't that much cheaper in Japan. They pay a LOT for dvd's in general and even more for blu-ray. It's not just anime either, media is just VERY expensive over there.

They do include a lot more though for that price. The packages usually come with collector goodies and whatnot.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #3,593 of 6,444
Not always, you can pay $40+ for a single DVD, that's without any extras and just the dvd case + disc. Collectors editions and limited editions do come with more, but you pay a LOT more on top of the already high price.

Quote:
They do include a lot more though for that price. The packages usually come with collector goodies and whatnot.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #3,594 of 6,444
hence why bandai and funimation need to get on releasing Code Geass and Darker Than Black on blu ray over here in the states, so i can buy them off amazon, for like 60 bucks per season tops
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #3,595 of 6,444
Quote:
hence why bandai and funimation need to get on releasing Code Geass and Darker Than Black on blu ray over here in the states, so i can buy them off amazon, for like 60 bucks per season tops
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />

X2. I'd definitely buy Code Geass. I need to check out Darker than Black too.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #3,596 of 6,444
North America just gets the shaft when it comes to anime. Same goes for Japanese cars too... We get all the watered down stuff.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #3,597 of 6,444
I wouldn't doubt that licensing agreements are made so that stateside anime releases aren't allowed before a certain period of time has passed after it's been released in Japan so that the Japanese releasers can get their share of the profit. Remember that with blu-ray Japan and the US are the same region code so there's nothing keeping a Japanese person from buying a US release disc set instead of a Japanese set for a super discount.

Quote:
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #3,598 of 6,444
Exactly.  I have a few friends that work in anime and games in US subsidiaries/sectors of Japanese companies, and there's a bunch of weirdness that happens as far as licensing products overseas.  Core to a lot of the complications is a massive fear of "gray market" goods from other countries (which are legitimately licensed and produced) and illegal bootleggers getting products finding their way into the Japanese domestic market.  When you see the prices that the Japanese market has, you can sorta see why.  For some card games and things (like Pokemon), it wasn't unusual for gray market importers to buy US goods at full retail price, ship them into Japan, and still sell them at a high enough price to make a good profit.

One of the examples in anime was when I gave my friend a hard time because of the Blue Submarine No. 6 DVD releases being one episode per disc.  He claimed it was required by the Japanese license holder and they wouldn't let Bandai US release it any other way.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3,599 of 6,444
Hmm, the NYC Comic Con is coming up soon.  Never been to one, but I'm thinking of popping by and seeing if there's interest in buying this sheaf of production art i have for the Detective Conan (Case Closed) anime.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #3,600 of 6,444
Just finished Angel Beats ... 

Ending was ok i guess,  but kinda stupid

I Love you
Thank you
I love you
Thank you
L..love you
t-tthank you?
Liked the Tenshi character every anime needs an emotionless one eh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back