Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2,971 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After Bakemonogatari, I'm interested in checking out Katanagatari for giggles. I usually tend to get into stuff after most of the fansubs are out, though, so we'll see. It's not as if I have a lack of stuff to watch for a while anyway.

It is a good one. It's witty and a fun to watch. It's one of my favorites this dry season. The character designs are also very unique.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2,972 of 6,444
Good to hear, fenixdown. It sounded like the somewhat cerebral dialogue of Bakemonogatari was part of the writer's style, hence why it interested me. Not sure which fansub group I want to start off with yet, but the series is still young. ^_^

Feb 17, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #2,973 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear, fenixdown. It sounded like the somewhat cerebral dialogue of Bakemonogatari was part of the writer's style, hence why it interested me. Not sure which fansub group I want to start off with yet, but the series is still young. ^_^

Mazui is doing a great job. I remember them complaining that the script was over 950 translated lines for the first episode. They are almost an hour long each though. haha

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #2,974 of 6,444
Ran straight through Evangelion with a couple of friends yesterday. I think one who hadn't seen it before found it hard to digest, but I tend to watch it every 3 or so months, so I find myself taking for granted understanding of much of the plot.

One thing that killed me, though, was that I never managed to put subs onto my DTS end of evangelion disc and reburn it. Nothing would seem to play vob's with external subs either, so I ended up ripping the DTS track and shoving it onto one of my decent quality existing rips. Annoying after paying £55 for the discs, but whatever. I like having them.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2,975 of 6,444
Evangelion is a good series, although very overrated.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #2,976 of 6,444
I disagree, but this can (and has been) argued to death.

The first time I watched Eva, I fell in love with it. I find all the characters fascinating, each so wonderfully broken in their way. Sitting here with Rei/Asuka revoltech's on my desk and a bunch of overpriced dvds, I can't imagine why anyone would choose Rahxephon.

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2,977 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The first time I watched Eva, I fell in love with it. I find all the characters fascinating, each so wonderfully broken in their way. Sitting here with Rei/Asuka revoltech's on my desk and a bunch of overpriced dvds, I can't imagine why anyone would choose Rahxephon.

I like both lol evangelion will always be my favorite, but i feel that raxephon is a better show on a technical level. but i own both of them on dvd
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #2,978 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mazui is doing a great job. I remember them complaining that the script was over 950 translated lines for the first episode. They are almost an hour long each though. haha

"Mazui" and "great job" are two phrases that should never be used together.

*mourns the death of fansubbing at the hand of idiot kids several years ago*

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #2,979 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Mazui" and "great job" are two phrases that should never be used together.

*mourns the death of fansubbing at the hand of idiot kids several years ago*

Do you mean literally? Mazui does mean bad when translated, but as a sub group, they do good work. At least as of now they're decent.

Thought I would share.

Cartoon:
1 : a preparatory design, drawing, or painting (as for a fresco)
2 a : a drawing intended as satire, caricature, or humor b : comic strip

Anime:

: a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes

difference? cartoons, by design, are simple, little drawings or animation.

Anime is serious business =p

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #2,980 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I choose neither! Instead: Soukyuu no Fafner.
biggrin.gif

I like Eva and RahXephon quite a lot, but Fafner is too underrated.

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #2,981 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose neither! Instead: Soukyuu no Fafner.
biggrin.gif

I like Eva and RahXephon quite a lot, but Fafner is too underrated.

I'm actually looking into that, but Hirai's recent sameface habit really scares me. Though I shouldn't let something as shallow as that put me off, I guess.

As of right now, I'm flopping between Zeta Gundam, Soul Eater, and FMA: Brotherhood.

Feb 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #2,982 of 6,444
Soul Eater was good going in, but then started to plateau. The ending was... unexpected.

@ Fitz: I caught a glimpse of your massive AKG headphone collection. I'm still in shock. How many do you have so far? I lost count once I saw that pile at the bottom.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2,983 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually looking into that, but Hirai's recent sameface habit really scares me. Though I shouldn't let something as shallow as that put me off, I guess.

As of right now, I'm flopping between Zeta Gundam, Soul Eater, and FMA: Brotherhood.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I saw Fafner before Gundam SEED so it didn't spoil my enjoyment of Fafner. It's definitely worth it if you can get past the recycled character designs.

Quote:

Soul Eater was good going in, but then started to plateau. The ending was... unexpected.

@ Fitz: I caught a glimpse of your massive AKG headphone collection. I'm still in shock. How many do you have so far? I lost count once I saw that pile at the bottom.

I only have three now, not counting spare parts. =\

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #2,984 of 6,444
Only three left?
frown.gif
Still more than me though. haha

Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #2,985 of 6,444
Quote:

I may check out their stuff. I read so-so things about their work, but I really honestly don't know enough about the fansub community to make a judgment call. It's rare that I have an extreme reaction one way or another since I don't care as much about some of the things that others tend to find distracting, like text overlays for signs and things like that. The only thing offhand that I tend to cringe at is when honorifics and speech form is either ignored, over-simplified, or downright wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back