Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 8, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #1,606 of 6,444
I thought that the first episode of Gundam 00 was rather disappointing, not a whole lot of action/fighting. A lot of characters have been introduced but their roles aren't really clear yet.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #1,607 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
surprisingly short list of interest for the upcoming season:

OVAs
Koharu Biyori

Sun
ef - a tale of memories.
Shion no ou
Kimikisu

Mon
Rentaru magica
Minamike
Prism Ark

Tue
D.C.II
Bamboo Blade
Blue Drop
sketchbook full color's

Wed
Night Wizard the Animation
Myself;Yourself
Mokke
Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Thur
Kodomo no Jikan
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-Kun

Fri
Shaukugan no Shana II
Clannad

Tried a few of these...
Shana and Clannad were the good (as expected), Night Wizard looked very beautiful though not my favorite style/genre. Ninomiya-kun was just like Girls Bravo except the high quality drawing/voice acting
frown.gif
Sketchbook was a bit lackluster (both in terms of humor and iyashikei-ness, but I still have faith in the creators of ARIA series. ef and D.C. II - a bit cliche but not bad at all. Bamboo Blade and Kimikiss caught me off guard, could end up being my favs from this season. Blue Drop looked mildly amusing. Sutaki Tantei simply wasnt my kind of stuff.

Minamike is pure win! If Mii-chan from Ichigo Mashimaro grew up to be a highschooler with a spirit, she would be much like Kana-chan
biggrin.gif
I was warned about the drawing done by the same people who did the infamous cabbage work, but nothing so far indicates a sign of such hideousness
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #1,608 of 6,444
Gurren Lagann was amazing. Definitely makes my favorite anime list. The series as a whole doesn't have to push the whole artsy fartsy thing to get its message across, it just does through it's incredible script. It started out so light heartedly that I had no idea it would end up this way. I couldn't have thought up a better ending. Everything made sense and there weren't any loose ends left. Loved the soundtrack, animation, storyline, character development, all of it.

Making a sequel or a SP would only mess with perfection.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #1,609 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gurren Lagann was amazing. Definitely makes my favorite anime list. The series as a whole doesn't have to push the whole artsy fartsy thing to get its message across, it just does through it's incredible script. It started out so light heartedly that I had no idea it would end up this way. I couldn't have thought up a better ending. Everything made sense and there weren't any loose ends left. Loved the soundtrack, animation, storyline, character development, all of it.

Making a sequel or a SP would only mess with perfection.

I guess I will have to try it with this kind of endorsement
wink.gif

Tengen Toppa just doesn't sound that exciting, atleast from the name
blink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #1,610 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I will have to try it with this kind of endorsement
wink.gif

Tengen Toppa just doesn't sound that exciting, atleast from the name
blink.gif

tongue.gif
It's not your typical mecha drama. I was worried about this watching the first few episodes, since I was never a fan of the whole Gundam series.

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #1,611 of 6,444
Quote:

tongue.gif
It's not your typical mecha drama. I was worried about this watching the first few episodes, since I was never a fan of the whole Gundam series.

It really is something (though I got a lot of catch up to do); like I was saying, it has a bit of everything for everyone. Yet to hear anyone who remotely disliked the show. The name "Tengen Toppa" is very fitting as well, seeing how they are constantly overcoming a barrier (or the ceiling) taking it to a whole new level.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #1,612 of 6,444
i was worried at the beginning of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann too, since i heard that Gainax did it for Konami, so I was like "what is this, some kinda toy crossover like Beyblade or something? eww. man Gainax has really stooped low."

I WAS WRONG.

Lagann is now my second fave Gainax ANYTHING ever, topped only (barely) by Gunbuster. so many homages, it builds and builds and - just is everything Diebuster (Gunbuster 2) should have been but wasn't. this series was EPIC. don't miss it!

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #1,613 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was worried at the beginning of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann too, since i heard that Gainax did it for Konami, so I was like "what is this, some kinda toy crossover like Beyblade or something? eww. man Gainax has really stooped low."

I WAS WRONG.

Lagann is now my second fave Gainax ANYTHING ever, topped only (barely) by Gunbuster. so many homages, it builds and builds and - just is everything Diebuster (Gunbuster 2) should have been but wasn't. this series was EPIC. don't miss it!

heh, I would still take mahoromatic 2nd season. probably a minority at that though
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #1,614 of 6,444
Watched the first episode of Gundam 00. The high production values are nice but the premises are stupid: a super secret organization suddenly appearing on the world stage with super secret and amazing Gundams. Their goal is to eradicate war using military intervention using their super secret and amazing Gundams, all accompanied by a plethora or self-indulgent lines. Surely to become another "epic" Gundam outlet. I wish Sunrise would stop this franchise altogether and bring us something creative like another Escaflowne or Cowboy Bebop.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #1,616 of 6,444
So this is how I saw last week's new additions in terms of overall enjoyment and future potential:

Clannad
Minamike
Shaukugan no Shana II
Bamboo Blade
Kimikisu
D.C.II
Myself;Yourself
Blue Drop
Sketchbook full color's
ef - a tale of memories.
Rentaru magica
Night Wizard the Animation
----------cutoff------------
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-Kun
Prism Ark
Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Myself;Yourself wasnt bad in fact, I just forgot I stopped halfway being busy right after lunch and all. The only thing that goes against the show IMO is Kaneda Tomoko's voice acting, whom I was never a fan of. Nanaka's personality may serve as a good stimulant in an otherwise stereotypical harem setting.

Prism Ark, on the other hand, was quite awful IMO. Confusing juxtaposition of scenes alone was bad enough, and there are no positives other than decent character design on some characters. Hyaweh chasing Priecia's wagon was one of the worst things I have seen from any series as of late. At the beginning, you see the wagon dart away from the view with Hyaweh chasing it at his full speed. Next thing you know is him smiling and catching up to it no sweat and hanging onto Priecia's hand, What? Don't freakin whisper at someone from a half mile away if you wanna be heard!

The following have not aired yet to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong) :
Kodomo no Jikan
Shion no ou

Currently donwloading Mokke.

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #1,617 of 6,444
Oh my, I'm so far behind on my anime, the last thing I remember is Death Note and Darker Than Black. I didn't even know there was a new Gundam out, need to check that out sometime. I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed Gundam Seed and it's hard to find mecha with good character development.

Also, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann looks interesting. It seems like an odd premise but odder anime have been made that turned out good.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #1,618 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even know there was a new Gundam out, need to check that out sometime. I'm one of the few people that actually enjoyed Gundam Seed and it's hard to find mecha with good character development.

What, the cool kids don't like Gundam anymore - ohnoes!
I thought Seed was great, but, from reading the reviews, I haven't bothered with Seed Destiny.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #1,619 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my, I'm so far behind on my anime, the last thing I remember is Death Note and Darker Than Black.

Darker Than Black ended up being really boring for me, but I kept watching because the production value was so high. It's one of the better looking anime I've seen in a while.

I just finished Shakugan no Shana. Not bad.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #1,620 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, the cool kids don't like Gundam anymore - ohnoes!
I thought Seed was great, but, from reading the reviews, I haven't bothered with Seed Destiny.

Seed Destiny is a good way to pass time if you have nothing to do, but it definitely lacks the entertainment value of Seed. The storyline is just not as well developed and it seemed to fall apart at the end when the writers suddenly decided to change the main character and direction the anime was going.
confused.gif

Quote:

Darker Than Black ended up being really boring for me, but I kept watching because the production value was so high. It's one of the better looking anime I've seen in a while.

I just finished Shakugan no Shana. Not bad.

I'm only half way though Darker Than Black, though I have a bad feeling that it's turning into one of those monster-a-week animes, except each story arc here is two episodes. It's interesting enough but I there's little or no character development from the main character, he's usually not even the main character of the arcs, he just shows up at the end to clean everything up.

But I agree with the production value. Nice animation and music. Hopefully the ending won't be too bad.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back