Any anime series that you've been enjoying?
Oct 3, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #1,591 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished watching Last Exile (I guess I'm kind of behind/random on my anime watching) and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved just about everything about it -- characters, story, design and what not. Sure it wasn't perfect, but nothing is.

Anyone have any recommendations? A quick sum-up of anime I've really liked are as follows:

1. Last Exile
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Niea_7

Anime I'm more or less neutral on (kinda liked but was kinda disappointing)
1. Haibane Renmei

Anime I wanted to like but were ultimately not so hot on:
1. Gasaraki
2. Blue Submarine #6

Wow, I just realized almost all of these were all released by Pioneer. Wasn't intentional -- guess they're usually behind the stuff I'm interested in...

How is Ergo Proxy?

Best,

-Jason

Maybe Boogiepop Phantom if you are a Lain fan. But be warned, however; it is about as cryptic as it gets if you havnt already read the novel, or so I was told. I rewatched some episodes several times to establish my own interpretation in my tiny little brain
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, see if you can sit through Texnolyze and tell me what you thought of it. I just remember it being weiiiiird
blink.gif

Never got past the first few eps but willing to continue if its worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Interlude OVA was sorta interesting, even as the ending was a bit anti climatic for me. Good watch though, I would recommend it.

Finally, there is Melody of Oblivion with a big YMMV factor. Though it was one of my all time favorites, I can see how others may not be so fond of it. If you could just overlook the cheesiness of the outer space act (I actually thought it was funny) you would be fine I guess. It really is one of those shows that gives you creeps, at least the first act most definitely. Ahhh, that background music! (shudders)

I might have mentioned it earlier... I really liked the mech design of gasaraki, but thats about what the show has in it for me. The plot towards the end was totally meh; you could disagree and correct me all you want, that show really reeked of militarism however they intended to present it. So I was told the underlying main theme was love affair between the protagonist, none of which I found that clearly all throughout
Too bad I am not all that much into "trapped ancient superpower" or "willpower to overcome the odds of the real world" type of stuff.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #1,592 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeresist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fafner-
The OP/ED are banal with an excruciating singer, confirming my opinion that you can usually judge an anime fairly accurately by the quality of its theme tunes.

I loved the OP/ED. The singer was awesome as she has very unique vocal qualities which I found to be quite enjoyable.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #1,593 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any recommendations? A quick sum-up of anime I've really liked are as follows:

1. Last Exile
2. Serial Experiments Lain
3. Niea_7

Anime I'm more or less neutral on (kinda liked but was kinda disappointing)
1. Haibane Renmei

Anime I wanted to like but were ultimately not so hot on:
1. Gasaraki
2. Blue Submarine #6

Hey, we seem to have some similar tastes (if you maybe swap Lain and Haibane around), so I'll recommend some stuff off my list:

Heavy:
Berserk (sort of like an intelligent Conan story - I was surprised how good it was)
Wolf's Rain (sorta post-apocalyptic fantasy about wolves near extinction looking for Paradise)
Boogiepop Phantom (I prefer this to Lain, and found it easier to follow)
Hellsing (if you want vampire action - it weakens a bit in the end but I think I prefer it to the new OVA)
Gantz (one screwed-up show about suicides made to hunt aliens)
Mushishi (only seen ONE ep of this new show but it was great if you like slow, atmospheric, beautiful to look at)

Comedy/lighter stuff:
Jubei-chan (comedy about a girl who is the 500 year old reincarnation of a great samurai)
Fruits Basket (comedy/drama - HIGHLY recommended)
Azumanga Daioh (school girl comedy (no ecchi) - classic)
Chobits (harem-style classic)
Genshiken (comedy about an anime fan club)
Someday's Dreamers (nice little show about a student witch in Tokyo - won't blow you away but, as I said, it's "nice")
Eureka Seven (actually only seen 5 eps of this but thought it was great - "typical" anime but really well done, lots of colour and energy)

Science fiction:
Planetes (SF comedy/drama about low-level grunts who have to remove space debris from orbit)
Gundam Seed (great modern mecha epic)
Martian Successor Nadesico (fun parody of Gundam and other mecha shows)

Phew. That should keep you busy for a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, see if you can sit through Texnolyze and tell me what you thought of it. I just remember it being weiiiiird
blink.gif

Never got past the first few eps but willing to continue if its worth it.

I loved Texhnolyze first time through because it was so out there and different, but second time around I could see its flaws, like the character Ran who is supposed to be central but never actually DOES anything, or the character whose sole purpose is to go nuts and start killing people for no reason. Plus a stupid ending. So it's worth a look, but don't go out of your way.

Quote:

I might have mentioned it earlier... I really liked the mech design of Gasaraki, but thats about what the show has in it for me. The plot towards the end was totally meh; you could disagree and correct me all you want, that show really reeked of militarism however they intended to present it. So I was told the underlying main theme was love affair between the protagonist, none of which I found that clearly all throughout

Not sure what you mean by "reeked of militarism" - it was about military mecha (as opposed to super-powered-boy-against-the-aliens mecha) but I don't think it was ever trying to say all this combat and power plays was a good thing. I liked the dark, gritty, gloomy feel of the show. But I agree about the reincarnation love story - it was like they were trying to tell two different stories which ended up cancelling each other out.
Quote:

Too bad I am not all that much into "trapped ancient superpower" or "willpower to overcome the odds of the real world" type of stuff.

Which describes pretty much all action-based anime?! No, I know what you mean. If they stripped that stuff out of Gasaraki and cut it down to a half season size, it would have been a much better show.

Zorander, I've been unsure about whether to invest some time in Gankutsuou. I've seen the first 8 eps, it looks great and the story is interesting, but I haven't felt completely involved yet, and I'm worried that the ending will be another disappointment. Any comments?

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #1,594 of 6,444
Quote:

Zorander, I've been unsure about whether to invest some time in Gankutsuou. I've seen the first 8 eps, it looks great and the story is interesting, but I haven't felt completely involved yet, and I'm worried that the ending will be another disappointment. Any comments?

That's tough to say since I personally enjoyed it (and was completely intrigued by it) from the first episode. The whole story is basically (highlight to read spoilers) about the Count's return to Paris to exact vengeance on his old friends (and effectively their families, including young Albert whom he befriended and manipulated to gain a foothold in the aristocrat city). The unfolding events are tragic and the rest of the show followed on what took place after the Count achieved his objectives. The show concluded in a relatively happy note (given the comparatively sad preceding events).

Oct 4, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #1,596 of 6,444
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by "reeked of militarism" - it was about military mecha (as opposed to super-powered-boy-against-the-aliens mecha) but I don't think it was ever trying to say all this combat and power plays was a good thing.

I felt there was a strong hint of anti-american sentiment, or at least a discontent for american hegemony. Not like thats something new, but the way they depict it accompanies what I perceive as the same ideals as those ultra right wingers in Japan are trying to push so vigorously. Either that, or they fail to convey what the exactly try to do as far as the main theme is concerned.
Peral Harbor reversed? Yeah... sure
rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, the Intro sequence was good though... good enough to get you suckered in
biggrin.gif

On top of that, I have hard time stomaching shows that try to align themselves with real world political issues with all seriousness (not in the jest like they would do in parody heavy anime)

Quote:

Boogiepop Phantom (I prefer this to Lain, and found it easier to follow)

Really? To each his own hehe
smily_headphones1.gif
I did like it, the OP theme in particular. Much harder to follow than lain I thought, however.

------------------------------------------
currently downloading:
Night Wizard
Myself;Yourself
Da Capo II
Bamboo Blade
sketchbook full color's
Suteki Tantei Labyrinth

Lets see how they all turn out to be...

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #1,597 of 6,444
Quote:

I felt there was a strong hint of anti-american sentiment, or at least a discontent for american hegemony.

Discontent with American hegemony? Bastards!
mad.gif

Quote:

Not like thats something new, but the way they depict it accompanies what I perceive as the same ideals as those ultra right wingers in Japan are trying to push so vigorously.

Well, yeah, as I said, Gasaraki isn't making any of this out to be a good thing. With all the talk of honour spouted in the show, an evil person is still an evil person, even in Japan.

Quote:

Peral Harbor reversed? Yeah... sure
rolleyes.gif

You'll notice that with any anime where they want to show Japan politically and militarily ascendent, they have to (or should) correspondingly explain why the US isn't the big boss anymore. GITS did the same thing as Gasaraki, albeit with more subtlety.

BTW, probably the funniest moment in Gasaraki is in an early episode, when the female mech commander impresses her comrade by bawling out an American soldier in English. The actress is obviously just reading her lines phonetically, she sounds terrible and it's almost impossible to understand what she's supposed to be saying!

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #1,598 of 6,444
I want to take galaxies and put them together and those them at other mechs the size of 5 galaxies and then completely break down in to all my evolvings and pwn the **** out of things.

Gurren lagann is the best series ever. But I have to say after last nights all night school days party that I had, School Days ****ing rocked. I go so into it. everyone else should also!!

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #1,599 of 6,444
Quote:

Well, yeah, as I said, Gasaraki isn't making any of this out to be a good thing. With all the talk of honour spouted in the show, an evil person is still an evil person, even in Japan.

You'll notice that with any anime where they want to show Japan politically and militarily ascendent, they have to (or should) correspondingly explain why the US isn't the big boss anymore. GITS did the same thing as Gasaraki, albeit with more subtlety.

I kinda saw it like they way they had in American History X (again, everyone sees things differently); "we" (the group protagonists belong) are superior, but we are civil (because we are mentally higher and refined too, implied). Ultimately they try to play it off as they discourage racial tension and violence, but the way it was presented was not very agreeable to me.
I am sure a lot of african american folk must have adored the movie...

Same thing in the beginning of Innocent Venus, you could almost tell who were the "invaders" just looking at their uniforms too! Alas, we wont really bully anyone though, unlike those person Americans (We could kick ass, but we just dont do it because we are better). American movies have been doing the same for years (or whichever movie of any origin that has nationalistic agenda mixed in it for that matter) so I guess it is fair. Either, way I dont feel too strongly about such potically charged expressions and it was way pronounced in Gasaraki.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #1,600 of 6,444
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoiflobees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to take galaxies and put them together and those them at other mechs the size of 5 galaxies and then completely break down in to all my evolvings and pwn the **** out of things.

Gurren lagann is the best series ever. But I have to say after last nights all night school days party that I had, School Days ****ing rocked. I go so into it. everyone else should also!!

yeah both were great!
now I just need to catch up on gurren laggan... slowy finishing up old series I fell behind in
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #1,601 of 6,444
Quote:

I am sure a lot of african american folk must have adored the movie...

lol, depiction of non jap/euro races in anime is a whole nuther topic!

Currently trying to work my way through His & Her Circumstances again, but it's hard work! The Anno-isms are really bugging me (long internal monologues, random changes in visual style, constant symbolism and text on screen, very limited animation plus use of live footage and photos - where'd the money go, Anno?) plus all the re-caps! (I'm also getting sick of hearing the same music all the time.)

I know it evens out in the second half (after they kicked Anno off the project) - at which point they had to do basically all filler-episodes because the manga wasn't coming out.... Why am I doing this to myself? I guess it's the underlying story and characters that keep me watching, despite all the problems.

Any recommendations for top-notch romance shows?

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #1,603 of 6,444
Quote:

Currently trying to work my way through His & Her Circumstances again, but it's hard work! The Anno-isms are really bugging me (long internal monologues, random changes in visual style, constant symbolism and text on screen, very limited animation plus use of live footage and photos - where'd the money go, Anno?) plus all the re-caps! (I'm also getting sick of hearing the same music all the time.)
Any recommendations for top-notch romance shows?

I found the rest quite entertaining, but the overly repetitious recaps were bothering me too.

Romance is a broad category. Does romance include lovecome's and game adaptations? what about yuri
redface.gif

Anyway, some of better to ok shows where romance was the central theme:
Mahoraba
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Winter Garden
Futakoi Alternative
Mahoromatic series
Kanon, both versions
Ai Yori Aoshi series
Koikaze
Onegai series
sola
Midori no Hibi
Rozen Maiden series
REC
NHK ni Youkosou
Utawarerumono (bit of a stretch yeah.. oh well)
Nanaka6/17
Asatte no Hokou
Okusama wa Mahou Shoujo (could have been better, still)
Kannazuki no Miko (love or hate type of deal...)
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
Narue no Sekai
Natsuiro no Sunadokei

Cosprayer/Love Love/Smash hit (Love Love leans somewhat heavily on romance, gets quite interesting if you watch all three)

above average gyaruge conversions with some romance:
Da Capo (though I thought the sequel was weak)
Kiminozo
Canvas 2
Tsuyokiss
Otoboku

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #1,604 of 6,444
Byousoku 5 Centimeter

just awesome of a anime film. sigh....many things remembered.....oh..the good old days when you are young.

Highly recommended. Pretty good cinematography if you care for those things.

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #1,605 of 6,444
Thanks for the long list, MikoLayer

Just started on Now & Then Here & There, which I've never seen before. Especially coming after the extremely limited H&H Circumstances, this is really spectacular - it looks like a movie! Reminds me of things like Nausicaa and Laputa, but with more beatings. Character design is very old school, especially the main character, I guess to undercut the general horror of the narrative.

Negatives: the Japanese voice acting is okay, not great, and the big villain is a bit ridiculous. Also, so far (up to ep 4), action feels limited to one location - hopefully it'll open up later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back