Any agreement as to what is the best portable setup on the market?
Feb 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hennessy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new portable solution, and though I find tons of information on this forum I've never been more confused really. There are so many different setups and configurations to choose from.

Is there any agreement on the forum as to what would be the best setup? I have decided on the JH16 Pro, but what to do for DAP and Amp? Money will not be an object, I just want the best sound possible from a portable solution, but I also would like a good design and a compact solution as I travel quite a lot.

For SQ alone I have been following the Studio I thread closely as that might be an option, but I have also taken an interest in the iPod Touch as I really like the design and it could cover as a remote in my home system - but is the SQ good on the iPod Touch? What kind of amp would I pair it with? Mods for the internal configuration, for instance a change of the dac chip?

To make it even more complicated I listen to all kinds of stuff; black metal, trance, electronica, dance, classical music, opera, prog rock, klezmer.

The confusion is total and hopefully someone can recommend a system I will be happy with for a long time. Money is not an object really, but I don't like spending money on brand names just to show off, I am looking for the best sound that can hopefully cover a whole range of different genres.

Thanks,
Hennessy

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 23
HIFIMAN 801 if money is not an object.

Maybe an RWA iMod? But then you need an amp... less portable.

I find the SQ from iPod 5G, Classic 2009 and Touch 3G are all great.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lootbag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HIFIMAN 801 if money is not an object.

Maybe an RWA iMod? But then you need an amp... less portable.

ditto
Ibelieve the s:flo! comes next if you ignore the two funky Sony models.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 23
An LOD and any RSA amp works with any player and RSA amps are as compact as you'll find and they are high quality durable aluminum cased. I love my portable setup. Nano 4th Gen, LOD, RSA Shadow. Fits in any pocket (shirt or pants). Just my opinion though. But I definitely think the Nano 4th Gen sounds better than the current Gen and they can still be bought thru Apple.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 23
Options might also depend on your preferred music file format - FLAC? ALAC? etc.

In my experience there are a wide range of opinions out there and a range of very good equipment combos, so maybe the comments on how portable you want it to be will also be a factor for you.

Feb 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 23
I looked into the Hifiman 801, and though it sounds spot on in regard to SQ I do not find it that portable. I mostly wear a suit, and something that would fit an inner jacket pocket without ruining the fit of the jacket would be great.

The amps from RSA looks quite interesting. Quick question, how dependent are they of the DAP? Is it both a DAC and an amp?

For the file format my music collection is ripped to FLAC.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 23
If your collection is FLAC... then all of the newer generation Apple DAPs won't support it at the moment. Unless you get an older generation iPod 5G/5.5G

You should probably look into a Cowon S9 or s:flo2 DAPs. Decent amount of space and good portability.

RSA offers both AMP + AMPDAC combo. It really depends on what you need. RSA offers a model called the Shadow... very small and compact. I have the Predator which is a AMP+DAC combo.

Feb 16, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 23
RSA amps are somewhat relied upon the player but they do make a significant difference. The Shadow is about 2" by 1.5" and 0.5" thick. So it will fit in ANY pocket if paired with a small DAP, like a Nano or Sansa Fuse.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennessy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked into the Hifiman 801, and though it sounds spot on in regard to SQ I do not find it that portable. I mostly wear a suit, and something that would fit an inner jacket pocket without ruining the fit of the jacket would be great.

Then the s:flo2 would be perfect for you.

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 23
From what knowledge I've amassed over the years, if you have a great, great budget you should definitely look into
DAPs: HiFi Man // s:flo2 (kinda buggy but VERY good SQ) // (If you want something Apply, get the iMod. Alo Audio makes them).

Amps: You can get the beast (Lisa III), or get something a little smaller... depending if you want a Dac/amp (iBasso D10/RSA (something)) or just an amp (iQube,Pico (those are just amps I think))

And of course you can drop a couple hundred on interconnects if you want as well.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 23
Sflo: 2 would look beautiful being pulled out of a suit pocket. Is why I think its your match. And definitely won't bulge out a pocket.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 23
What about the Hisound products and escpecially their newer ones, the Studio and the Rocoo?? I have the AMP3 pro 2 which is better in sound quality than the Teclast T51 which I also have, that is is your listening preference is for vocals and instrumentals, I am awaiting the new delivery of the Studio and the Rocoo but Whiplash forum where people already have them seems very promising.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 23
So to sum it up, it's a no to my question if there's any agreement to what's the best setup? :p

So far we have a few recommendations:
1. The Hifiman 801: due to size and design this solution is out of the question.

2. RSA amp paired with a small DAP like the iPod Nano or a Sansa Clip: I really like what I've read so far about the RSA amps and I like the size of an amp like this with a small dap.

3. Sflo: 2: I like the looks and due to the use of memcards this should fit my use perfectly. I am however a bit worried after reading the threads about this player; problems with the GUI and touch screen and it's mentioned several times that the Sony X is better in regard to SQ.

Feb 17, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ulsanman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Hisound products and escpecially their newer ones, the Studio and the Rocoo?? I have the AMP3 pro 2 which is better in sound quality than the Teclast T51 which I also have, that is is your listening preference is for vocals and instrumentals, I am awaiting the new delivery of the Studio and the Rocoo but Whiplash forum where people already have them seems very promising.

Like I mentioned in my opening post I have been following the thread about the AMP3 and the Studio I and it looks quite promising. Well built, small, no use for external amp and the price is quite good as well. There has been some issues with the AMP3 and hopefully these have been solved in the Studio I.

I am looking at the TWAG replacement cable for the JH IEMs as well, so being able to order both DAP and Cable from Whiplash would be easy.

Sadly I will not be able to audition the products mentioned in the thread as I live in Norway (if living in Oslo is reading this and have the equipment at hand I would really appreciate the possibility to audition), so my choice will mostly be based on the feedback from this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back