Any advice for driving Q701's via computer skewed towards gaming?
Nov 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tapar

New Head-Fier
I am an audio newb getting ready to order some AKG Q701 headphones.  I intend to use them for gaming and also for watching movies and TV all via the computer.   I am trying to get my computer up to snuff so it can take advantage of them.  I am interested in virtual surround sound particularly for games like black ops 2 and could really use some guidance.

I have read recommendations for Xonar and Xi-Fi but I don't know which is better for my situation.   There are also versions that have built in headphone amps but I don't know if that is sufficient for the Q701's or if I would be better off getting a less expensive sound card and a headphone amp of some kind.  My goal is to get out as inexpensively as possible without shooting myself in the foot.  I did hear that some flavors of Xonar might not play well with mic's so I will need to be aware of that as I intend to use a mic for voice chat while playing. 

I am having trouble quantifying what I actually need and how to determine where the line is between cheap and inexpensive.  I don't need to start out at the top of the line, I am happy with acceptable inexpensive performance that can be upgraded later...I just don't want to end up with something not in the right ballpark.  For example there is a Xonar DG card on newegg for $27 and a Xonar STX for $190, both support dolby headphone.  The STX is obviously superior, but I still lack the info to pick out which features are actually important.  That makes it harder to determine what I need to take advantage of the Q701's without getting more than I need.   I would love to hear about sound card and amp combos that people are happy with for gaming, any advice is appreciated.  

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 4
I ordered the Q701's today.  I also decided to order an Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 sound card.  I am hoping the Xonar's built in amp can drive the Q701's.  I figured that I could add a different amp to the mix after the fact if it doesn't work out.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I ordered the Q701's today.  I also decided to order an Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 sound card.  I am hoping the Xonar's built in amp can drive the Q701's.  I figured that I could add a different amp to the mix after the fact if it doesn't work out.

Check out the "Unified Xonar Drivers" at the website Brainbit.

This thread might have some good advice on amping the Q701s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back