Answer: "One is never legitimate"
Jul 5, 2007 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
This is #500 for me. Does a member's post count have anything to do with their legitimacy around here, or just the size of their wallet? Please, I mean no disrespect -- this is an honest question.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 122
Define "legitimate". I mean, no disrespect
wink.gif
, but I am broke as a joke and I consider myself a moderately active and novice Head-Fi'er. And I think that makes me as legitimate as anyone else who is proactive and honest about the pursuit of true reference sound. I wouldn't even dream of thinking of a members "legitimacy" based on their wallet or income or stockpile audiophilia.
Did I make this a little too existential?
blink.gif
I think therefore I am. I listen therefore I hear. Just keepin' it real!
rs1smile.gif

What brought on this question anyway? Do I need to bump Therapy-Fi?
How about a new thread, Fidelity-Fi.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 122
IMO:

I think your gear has more to do with your reputation than anything else. People will listen to someone who owns 10+ headphones and has heard even more. I'm proof of that. I have 4,319 posts, and yet, I can guarantee I have less headphone experience than many members who post less. Also, if you take the time to create a profile and make an avatar, that is a HUGE plus for me. Another big thing is proper english. I can't stand people who join and in their first posts are something like this:

A: "omg li3k i bougt n ipod an it r0Cksorrz!!! m4be some n3w h34dph0nes wud be gr8"

B: "I buy headphone it no work. I try use my sound but it no congeal eiher. I hop help. thx"

You can pretty much guarantee you won't get any help from me in that case. Learn to type in at least a somewhat regular fashion before bothering to post on a message board.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 122
For me, there is no set number. You can have a lot of posts, but lack knowledge or have relatively few posts that are fairly substantial and thought provoking.

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 122

i think we take you seriously if you present your problem/question in a nice way.

just make sure you put punctuation and add spaces to words so your thoughts dont end up to be a huge paragraph of many ideas that repeat themselves over and over and give us headaches lol so we dont read your post and just kinda skim it over and also be sure to use the search button and read other threads a little so you get a feel of the website because its really annoying when people ask for perfect headphone and willing to spend only 50 dollars lmao

^yeah, don't do stuff like that and you should be fine

getting an avatar and putting something in your profile makes you look more friendly and human

but biggest thing is to not sound ignorant. read. read read.
learn the respectable brands of headphones and the models that are discussed around these parts

oh yeah, also make the title of your thread not sucky...its the first impression

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO:

I think your gear has more to do with your reputation than anything else. People will listen to someone who owns 10+ headphones and has heard even more. I'm proof of that. I have 4,319 posts, and yet, I can guarantee I have less headphone experience than many members who post less. Also, if you take the time to create a profile and make an avatar, that is a HUGE plus for me. Another big thing is proper english. I can't stand people who join and in their first posts are something like this:

A: "omg li3k i bougt n ipod an it r0Cksorrz!!! m4be some n3w h34dph0nes wud be gr8"

B: "I buy headphone it no work. I try use my sound but it no congeal eiher. I hop help. thx"

You can pretty much guarantee you won't get any help from me in that case. Learn to type in at least a somewhat regular fashion before bothering to post on a message board.

W3ll eyem glad 2 no hu knot 2 asq 4 h3lp phrum

Jul 5, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is #500 for me. Does a member's post count have anything to do with their legitimacy around here, or just the size of their wallet? Please, I mean no disrespect -- this is an honest question.

I think it has more to do with what you write and what you have to write about. As well as your post count.

Looking at your post count and what's in your profile; looks as though you are "There"!
cool.gif

....I know; I know. A thousand more for "THE" title! But you're well on your way!

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a member's post count have anything to do with their legitimacy around here . . . ?

I don't think a low post count necessarily means one is not "legitimate," but sometimes some folks with pretty low post counts and very recent join dates come on this board and say some pretty obnoxious or stupid things in their first few posts. To paraphrase a popular adage, "when new to Head-Fi, it is better to keep one's mouth shut for awhile (on controversial topics) and be thought of as a newbie-fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
580smile.gif

To put it another way, we all say some stupid things from time to time, but there's something bothersome about someone saying stupid things with an air of authority in the first few posts. I'm much more forgiving when the post count is about 200 or so. Maybe that's not fair, but it's human nature, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back