Answer: "One is never legitimate"
Jul 5, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Report back to us after you reach 10K posts.
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah, to follow up, Edwood has complete amnesty for anything he might say.
580smile.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 122
If we define ''legitimacy'' as being a member who is safe to trade with then no, high post count doesn't always imply a reputable member and conversely, another member with few posts is unscrupulous. In general, high post count (again, what do we define as ''high''?) members tend to care about their reputation. I sold a Hornet to a member who only had 2 posts at the time (he has 4 now) but joined in 2003. The length of time a member has been here and the way in which they communicate (as MD1032 expressed) should also be considered.

Oh and contributing status too, although anyone can cough up the money for level 1. Maybe there should be some way of distinguishing this? (I'm only level 1 btw)

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 122
Your ears and your wallet are not correlative. One can be good when the other one might not be.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Report back to use after you reach 10K posts.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Where's jahn?

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 122
legitamacy starts at post one, its all about the quality of the info that you give out in certian threads. If someone goes and gives advice on phones theve never used before, its not very legitamate.

edit: note that I post about 30-40 a day, and half is in the music or members lounge, only take advice from me in the headphone thread.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 122
Excellent responses everyone. Personally, I agree that legitimacy has a lot to do with what you say and how you say it. However, given that, I'm less inclined to believe well written but outrageous claims from anyone with fewer posts than myself. If someone with 10,000 posts says "the new Zen stone has better SQ than the 1st gen. shuffle" I go buy one, or at least go listen to one. With only 50 posts, I wait for a more legitimate source.

Well, I'll check back around Christmas. I might get my merit badge by then.

For transactions, feedback speaks for itself. I've bought and sold with all sorts of post counts, but the one common is that they all have good feedback.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #23 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ears and your wallet are not correlative. One can be good when the other one might not be.

And what about with non of them is??? We have no hope then??? ...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also by immtbiker: "
Total money spent on audio since joining Head-Fi: $48,993.29"

I don't care how much you've sold, man, you've cycled through some gear. Kudos.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #25 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
legitamacy starts at post one, its all about the quality of the info that you give out in certian threads.

So says member of one month with 146 posts
580smile.gif

For real, though, you're legitimate to me, Arctic Monkey.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So says member of one month with 146 posts
580smile.gif

For real, though, you're legitimate to me, Arctic Monkey.

member of 6 days...

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #27 of 122
It's about your profile, not your post count...... I wanna see an orpheus...then, and only then, will i bow down and worship your sig.

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #28 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what about with non of them is??? We have no hope then??? ...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Then you'd be deaf and broke and maybe this wouldn't be the right forum for you
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also by immtbiker: "
Total money spent on audio since joining Head-Fi: $48,993.29"

I don't care how much you've sold, man, you've cycled through some gear. Kudos.

Those numbers are to make a point, they are not actual. But the friends that I've made are priceless.

A couple of years back I was able to buy (cycle as you say, is a better definition) nice equipment, but times have changed and in order to buy something, I have to sell something. Long gone, are the days of amassing equipment.

Mabe when the kids get out of "talentless rockstar school" (cause most musicians with talent don't make as much as the FOTM's), I can go back to a life of Riley (rather than Ralph Kramden).
icon10.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #29 of 122
Post count does influence me as far as legitimacy is concerned with buying/selling with others here. I've been approached by people with 0 feedback and 0 posts a lot, and I just feel insecure about dealing with these people. I mean, the only thing worse than having 0 feedback is having 0 posts along with that (or only a handful of posts). If somebody has 100+ posts and 0 feedback, I get the idea that this person is "genuine" and a real guy that really isn't interested in scams or anything (though there are always exceptions...).

Feedback is much more important to me than post count, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back