Another Stax Beginner here
Sep 6, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in switching over to the electrostatic side of things.
But I dont know too much about that area.
I've been researching as much as I can but there is so much information and terminology and model variations that its throwing me off from becoming informed.

I currently own a pair of sr325is which I love. But I want something different. I've also read that Stax headphones ( electrostatic in general? ) are better suited for classical and ambient styles of music, which is what I'm interested in.

I have a couple of questions;
1. What is a good beginner electrostatic system for no more than $500?
2. I'm not too sure how the technical side of things work, but would I have to hook up any part of the system to speakers in order for it to work? ( I read some were someone doing something like this... headphones or adapter/driver needed to be hooked up to speakers in order to listen) I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS. I just want to be able to simply listen to them using my computer, or using my D4 Mamba DAC.
3. If I buy a electrostatic system from a vendor that's located outside of North America, lets say Japan, do I have to request they give me an adapter/driver powered for North American standards?

I have found this system "Stax SR-5 Earspeaker and a Stax srd-6 Adaptor" for $200. Is it worth it?
OR
Should I buy something from here instead;
www.seyo-shop.com/home.php?cat=15210
http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_result_goods.php
http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Stax.html

I dont know what to do ! Help me out.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 18
Get an SRM-1 MK2 with an SR-Lambda (6-pin normal bias) and it is recommended to upgrade your source but the SR-5 is rather nice as well (the black one is the one to have). These are not that common in the US so patience is needed.
Or if you prefer something newer, you can try an SRS-2050A from Japan which also fits your budget and since that little amp has a simple external PSU, you can just buy a standard wallwart PSU in the US for the amp.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the reply's,
Any other recommendations ?

Also, anyone have any other sites/sources were I can find a Stax system?

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 18
Be patient and wait for a Lambda-based rig to show up on these boards or on Audiogon. They will blow your mind, I promise. While I had them both at home, I derived more enjoyment from the vintage Lambda normal bias and SRM-1/MKII that Padam referenced (for which I paid ~$600) than I did from my $1,400 HD800 and custom SET amp. I'm sure some will disagree with me (and the HD800 is technically better in a lot of ways) but I think that the type of magical sound you can get from a $600 Stax rig is just incredible for the money.

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 18
Alright, but can someone explain to me which Lambda based system I should look for? There's "Lambda Pro" , "Lambda Nova" , and Lambda.... ( maybe there is more? ) Would any of the Lambda's suffice ? Or do any of them do but as long as they are "normal bias" ?
I'm confused

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 18
Go for the 2050 system.  The SR-202s sound great and the 252 amp gets the job done.  I've actually got a 252 at work and use either my 404s or my SR-003s on them.  For where to buy, the prices out of Japan can be a bit steep.  $550-600 for new from an overseas shipper.  I picked up my 252/SR-003 used last time I was in Japan.  A used 2050 system is around 30,000 yen (~$350) and I'll be back over in Tokyo this weekend...

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 18
Ok, This is what im considering to buy now;
1.I found a used Lambda Nova Basic system for $600
OR
2. A new 2050A basic system for $500.

Can someone tell me which one I should go for between these two, and why ?

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
AllsWell said:

Alright, but can someone explain to me which Lambda based system I should look for? There's "Lambda Pro" , "Lambda Nova" , and Lambda.... ( maybe there is more? ) Would any of the Lambda's suffice ? Or do any of them do but as long as they are "normal bias" ?
I'm confused

Most of the lambdas are pretty good. I'd go for a pro bias one (there arent many normal bias headphones still around, and you'd need to find an older amp to run the normal bias headphones).

Quote:
Ok, This is what im considering to buy now;
1.I found a used Lambda Nova Basic system for $600
OR
2. A new 2050A basic system for $500.

Can someone tell me which one I should go for between these two, and why ?

By lambda nova basic system I assume you mean the lambda nova basic headphones plus the SRM-Xh amp? If so, in my opinion, $600 is way too much for that; I'd expect such a system to be priced significantly less than the new 2050 kit but then again I'm not the seller.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
By lambda nova basic system I assume you mean the lambda nova basic headphones plus the SRM-X amp? If so, in my opinion, $600 is way too much for that; I'd expect such a system to be priced significantly less than the new 2050 kit but then again I'm not the seller.

The headphones say Stax Lambda Nova on the headband, and BASIC on the earpads. Im not sure what type the amp is, it says stax on the front and its black. I emailed the person selling asking for more info.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
The headphones say Stax Lambda Nova on the headband, and BASIC on the earpads. Im not sure what type the amp is, it says stax on the front and its black. I emailed the person selling asking for more info.

Sounds like the Stax Lambda Nova Basic headphones to me.

On the amp, it sounds like you have a pic of it. If you dont mind, post it here and we'll see if we can identify it.

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 18
Yes that's the amp.
Here is the pic;

So what should I do? grab this Lambda set I found ( if I can get the price down ), or go for the new 2050A kit ?

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 18
After having problems with both a "gray market" set of SR-303's and a vintage pair of Lambda Sig's that rendered both headphones useless, I'd go with the new 2050 rig bought under warranty from an authorised American  distributor that is well respected in the community. Check out Woo Audio. Very well tought of around here.

Sep 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
After having problems with both a "gray market" set of SR-303's and a vintage pair of Lambda Sig's that rendered both headphones useless, I'd go with the new 2050 rig bought under warranty from an authorised American  distributor that is well respected in the community. Check out Woo Audio. Very well tought of around here.

This doesnt mean that all vintage lambdas will have encounter the problem you experienced ? I'm more concerned about the sound quality. I understand that these systems are old.
Woo audio has a few but they do not come with the power supply, so that is most likely a no for them.
My final question still remains;
Grab the Lambda set I found ( if I can get the price down ), or go for the new 2050A kit ?
( Im just looking for more opinions )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back