Another Star Wars Trilogy release
Sep 29, 2005 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
greeeeeeeeeeeat, greedy double dipping execs decided that we needed to have another DVD release of the original Star Wars trilogy. That is not to say that I don't want to own the original films as they once were, but some of us (most of us?) bought the DVD set that came out a few months back, and here comes another version, what seems to be the "Remastered" versions that came out in 1997 when the films were rereleased.

sigh

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/654/654529p1.html

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 22
well there are collectors out there that will buy this stuff..

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 22
I guess all I am saying is that if I had known more firm info about this set a few months back, I would have waited for this release. but then, I'm just whining, because this sales practice is nothing new at all.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 22
It seems a little unclear... is it the original before Lucas ruined them with the added CGI garbage??

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It seems a little unclear... is it the original before Lucas ruined them with the added CGI garbage??

yes, this is pre-GCI garbage. when it was remastered in '97, the originals were cleaned up and put on LaserDisc (which go for a bajillion dollars) and VHS Tape (time to tell my sister to sell em!) but never DVD. Lucas swore he'd never put the non-CGI original masters into the market again.

He lied. Which is good for me since THIS is the trilogy I'm going to buy!

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

The versions included in this set are from the 1997 re-release, although no information is yet available about whether the films will feature the revisions made at that time, or simply contain the same (additional) revisions and changes made for the 2004 release of the trilogy on DVD.

I'm sure it's not the last re-release, either. Lucas will probably release the original-originals eventually (i.e. what was seen in the theater in the first place). Why? Because he's a moneygrubbing wh*re who probably planned the whole thing all along, so he could sell yet more product.

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'm pretty sure 97 is the cgi version.

i think he released the old version "for the last time" on laserdisc and vhs that year (i remember getting the VHS ones for my sister) and later that year he CGI'd up the trilogy and stopped distributing the originals. That was the year Star Wars died.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's what i got -
----
"We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he said.

Lucasfilm and Fox chose the September release date to maximise on holiday gift buying during the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, 20th Century Fox president Mike Dunn said.

-----
Therefore the last time the original trilogy was released on laserdisc and VHS was 1997. In September of that year, the first CGIed trilogy came out on VHS and Laserdisc.

OMG i hope lucas doesn't mean that he's going to put the first crappy "Special Edition" CGI'd trilogy from fall '97 on DVD! So we get TWO crappy cgi'd versions on DVD, while the original still festers in the vault? ACK.

Here are some examples of changes -

Original - Greedo doesn't shoot.
Special Edition - Greedo shoots first.
Recent DVD Edition - Greedo shoots almost simultaneously with Han, but still first.

Original - original Anakin is a ghost.
Special Edition - original Anakin is a ghost.
Recent DVD Edition - original anakin ghost is now Hayden Christiansen as a ghost.

original - boba fett, original voice.
special edition - boba fett, original voice.
recent dvd edition - boba fett's voice replaced with recent jango fett actor's voice.

Sep 29, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 22
I just joined and posted a question in some Star Wars forum and it does look like the CGI version released before Hayden was added as the Ghost in ROTJ but still after all the other crapy alterations that Jahn mentioned... most notably the aweful Greedo scene... That person never got a round off! ... ok I'm finished
kickingscreaming.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 22
I hope it contains the originals. I own all the bootlegs of the originals including the ones that were originally seen only in the theater. In Obi-Wan's words "....we must be cautious"
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #14 of 22
Looks like this is the trilogy that I buy... Definitely didn't like the ones that were released before this one with all the changes that Lucas said he felt were for the "Star Wars" of today. I didn't mind the '97 CGI additions that they did as much as the new ones, so I'll be getting one of these.

Sep 29, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 22
Save your money. The only difference between this new one and the one they released this year is different packaging and supposedly a new "Mega" documentary on it. I've got the 1st restoration on laserdisc and I doubt we'll ever see that edit again. I'll be surprised if Luca$ releases that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back