another recommendation let down: sigur ros
Jan 3, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #31 of 54
night fall,
"thurday afternoon" never really registered as having any particular speed--it is a modal piece written with very broken rhythms. it hovers like a hologram, different on all sides and three dimensional, getting more complex the closer you listen. the feeling it gives me is like being in old-growth forest alone, with dappled sunlight and that enormous silence the woods has. you may not even notice it is playing, but shut it off in the middle and it is like the air-pressure is released in the room.

by all means listen to sigur ros and decide for yourself. everyone has different reactions and tastes.

Jan 4, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 54
() on cd does nothing for me and I loved the first record.

My wife and I recently caught them live in SF (thanks to KFJC) and the tracks from () sounded much better live. A bit more edgey. The string quartet playing drones was beautiful.

btw, Jon, I think Mogwai did it all on "Young Team". Everything since then has not been quite as good. If you get a chance, see them live (bring ety ear plugs).

Apr 25, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #33 of 54
i'm revising my opinion of () and will say now i like it. when i first listened to it i was not ready to hear it. over time the gems in this album started to shine for me.

Apr 25, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by zhentil
Thank God you came around. Now it's time to move on to Godspeed.

i know, you can exhale now. :p

Apr 25, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 54
What I find strange is that the more I listened to Sigur Ros, particularly "()" the more bored I became. I started to view their songs as being formulaic, and perhaps worse, all following the same formula. But I will always hold onto the memory of hearing "Ágætis Byrjun" for the first time and thinking, "Wow! This band is onto something." I just wish they'd find some new ideas to explore.

Bryan

Apr 26, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #37 of 54
glad to hear you came around dude!

they really are an outstanding creative force. i cant wait to hear what they have come up with for the new album. i think its supposed to be out sometime this year.

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
What I find strange is that the more I listened to Sigur Ros, particularly "()" the more bored I became. I started to view their songs as being formulaic, and perhaps worse, all following the same formula. But I will always hold onto the memory of hearing "Ágætis Byrjun" for the first time and thinking, "Wow! This band is onto something." I just wish they'd find some new ideas to explore.

Bryan

I feel the same way. Some of those songs plod along so ploddingly, I'm asleep before the 1st verse. There are some real beauties there though for those who like the singer's voice, and those who prefer the instrumentals.

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #39 of 54
I eventually bought all the Sigur Ros recordings and love this stuff. I've als turned a number of friends on to them with great success. What a rare thing to find such a totally unique sound created by a band.

JC

Team Raptor

Apr 26, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #41 of 54
Yay! I can think of no other genre that gives me a more satisfied feeling than some of the stuff by Godspeed, Sigur Ros etc. I |love| it, and i'm very glad that others have taken to them too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
I hope they don't start singing in English, I think that would be a big no no. They are much more profound to me when I don't understand them.

As i'm sure you know, Von and AB were sung in Icelandic, whereas ( ) was recorded in a language called Hopelandic that was created by Jonsi (lead singer - why does that label seem so awkward in this case?). AFAIK this was done in an effort to maximize the utility of the voice as a musical instrument, which makes me so happy, i almost want to burst.

@grinch - You rule.

And for those looking: Official Online Store w/ T-Shirts

Apr 27, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #42 of 54
redshifter, have you ever listened to sigur ros late at night/early morning when sleep eludes you? that's when they work best for me - calming, soothing and refreshing at the same time.

they're icelandic midsummer music - insomnia is where they shine
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #44 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
redshifter, have you ever listened to sigur ros late at night/early morning when sleep eludes you? that's when they work best for me - calming, soothing and refreshing at the same time.

they're icelandic midsummer music - insomnia is where they shine
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll try that, but i'll state again, i've reversed my stance and enjoy () now.

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #45 of 54
Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor!: The condensed sound of pointlessness.

I've never heard such self-involved wank fest music that can't even be wanked to.

Throw this crap and all paintings by Jackson Pollock into the fire, and maybe they'll burn and be useful for providing heat. God knows they have no purpose now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back