another recommendation let down: sigur ros
Dec 22, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #16 of 54
dokebi, they have three albums and two ep's. I enjoy all of them equally which I know sounds weird, but if I was put to the fire on it I would say go for the latest album first and work your way back, the only way to get their first album is on ebay, where you will pay a premium or order it directly from their icelandic record labels website smekkleysa.net where it is cheaper.

Dec 24, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #17 of 54
For what it is worth redshifter, I totally adore Sigur Ros' earlier album "ágætis byrjun" but have yet to be sold on their follow-up -().

Same was true for Boards of Canada - lurved "Music has the right..." but just can't seem to get into "Geo".

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
For what it is worth redshifter, I totally adore Sigur Ros' earlier album "ágætis byrjun" but have yet to be sold on their follow-up -().

Same was true for Boards of Canada - lurved "Music has the right..." but just can't seem to get into "Geo".

smily_headphones1.gif

i get the appeal of b.o.c. (hey, blue oyster cult!). sometimes "music has..." sounds like a brian eno ambient from the 70's mashed into a beat box, or an old pbs documentary soundtrack on ex. not that there's anything wrong with that. i auditioned the "geo" lp, and wasn't sold on it either.

Dec 24, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 54
I think BOC's In A Beautiful Place... EP is the best introduction to their music. It has some of their prettiest music and their most disturbing.

Dec 24, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma

I agree totally with stymie. I have three albums and an ep, and I think () is the least compelling for me. Either way, I cannot listen to the any of the albums in their entirity if I am paying attention. They need to be background music for me, or in small doses. I also agree that they are like mogwai -- they need some development. I don't know if they will get any better though. I hope they don't start singing in English, I think that would be a big no no. They are much more profound to me when I don't understand them.

Dec 24, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
was it because the lead singer wasn't doing the jerry's kids dance with his legs? or sweating profusely and shaking due to being high on cocaine?

gee.....sounds like Thom Yorke to me, although ive never thought of him as a coke fiend......

I personally couldn't get into Sigur Ros..and im a HUGE ******* Radiohead fan........Kid A is genious......but Sigur Ros was just too.....I dunno....it sounded like noise sung over by Thom Yorke with his testiclites in a vice.......

Dec 26, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

yes, the sigur ros albums MUST be played with speakers. with headphones, they're but only sub-par.

What about "Von," I haven't heard it on speakers but I will say that I think that at least the first few tracks would lose their intimacy and such with speakers. Well, at least the first track which scared the crap out of me when I first heard it on my phones.

Dec 26, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #24 of 54
daemoth, I totally agree with what you say about "von" some of those "effects" almost seem as if they were put there specifically for headphone listening which I'm sure they really weren't. Anyway saying something "must" or "has" to be listened to a certain way is a very narrow way of thinking. I would much rather listen to sigur ros with headphones than without, but of course thats my opinion and no one else's. Try it both ways and pick the one you like better I say!!!

Jan 2, 2003 at 12:11 PM Post #25 of 54
i went out and bought () during xmas after reading about it here on this thread.
i do like it but am still unsure whether its for real or if its all a big joke on our part.

At parts during the music, i swear it sounds if Sigur Ros was making fun of the whole thing, at times they seems real, serious, spiritual and on others its all self-wanking. i really dont know, perhaps some video and interviews would sway me one way or the other.

how does () compare with their previous releases?

Jan 2, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by pineapples10
gee.....sounds like Thom Yorke to me, although ive never thought of him as a coke fiend......

you've never heard of the global atrocity known as the "dave matthews band" ?

i have yet to hear sigur ros's other efforts (other than () and aegis, that is). they sold them at the show i went to a couple months ago at the beacon, but all the cds were $30 (!) a piece! no t-shirts either.
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 54
taoster, can you explain what you mean when you say they are making fun of the whole thing, I don't understand what you mean???

grinch, you can order the first cd "von" directly from their icelandic label, www.smekkleysa.net, you can get it for 20.00 shipped, I'm not sure if you'll think that is still to much but hey, I tried........

"von" is different from the other two albums, I think it sounds more "electronic" but still very good nonetheless.....

Jan 3, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
taoster, can you explain what you mean when you say they are making fun of the whole thing, I don't understand what you mean???

I keep getting images of sigur ros the band, jumping on stage and pretentiously hit a few keys on the keyboard, mumble a few gibberish and having a big laugh after stage about all the suckers lapping it up. I am most likely very far from the truth but i cant help wondering at this stage.

Jan 3, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #29 of 54
Originally posted by redshifter
am i the only one here who doesn't like sigur ros ()?

i'm no stranger to unusual music. i listen to minimalist opera. i listen to brian eno's ambient stuff--really slow moving music like "thursday afternoon", "music for airports
i've listened to this cd many times over the past month. i usually don't mind slow moving, sedate music, but the glacial progress of () just starts to grate on my nerves after a while.

redshifter, as you know, I'm a big Eno fan too, but someone describing another recording as "glacial progress" in comparison to Thursday Afternoon absolutely frightens me! <g> I was going to pick up sigur ros too, but I think youve said more than enough to warn me off! Thanks.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back