another recommendation let down: sigur ros
Dec 20, 2002 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
am i the only one here who doesn't like sigur ros ()? everybody and their dog recommended it to me, describing it as "heavenly", "soooo good" and "arf".

i'm no stranger to unusual music. i listen to minimalist opera. i listen to brian eno's ambient stuff--really slow moving music like "thursday afternoon", "music for airports", or "discreet music" (even slower paced than ()). i enjoy art-rock acts like stereolab. i'm not as esoteric as some here, but i do like unusual music and seek it out. that is why i gave sigur ros a chance.

i've listened to this cd many times over the past month. i usually don't mind slow moving, sedate music, but the glacial progress of () just starts to grate on my nerves after a while. plus the singer sounds like an even more effeminate thom york, and every time he sings i just cringe a little.

the production, instrumentation, unusual-ness, arty atmosphere, etc., of () should = sonic happiness for redshifter, but i can barely get through the cd anymore. i can't put my finger on it; i really should like this, and i have really tried, but () just refuses to click with me.

am i the only one who doesn't like ()?

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 54
sometimes i listen to sigur ros and think that i couldn't find a more perfect band. however, it's the kind of perfect that i feel many people wouldn't appreciate or agree with. so, i never really recommend them to most people i know.

sigur ros is for the depressed, the lovers, and the people who really really love kid a. i'm sorry it isn't clicking with you. i almost can't listen to this album, but that's more because i'm afraid that someday i will wear it out and i want to recall the feeling that i get when listening to it for the rest of my life.

i saw them a month or two ago at the beacon and it was one of the best concerts i have ever been to, but i would never recommend any of my friends to see them live.

i'm actually quite amazed that a lot of people on here like them. they are very atypical from the standard of music today. to me, i think the fact that they are so good at the gradual escalation of their music. when i saw them, i watched, over the period of probably ten minutes, a song go from one simple keyboard press, to an electronic orchestra involving five band members hunched around a setup of keyboards and processors of all sorts. mix in the violins girls at the rear of the stage, and it was heaven.

of course, heaven isn't for everybody. if it was, i certainly wouldn't want to go there. sorry you don't dig it, sell the album to someone else a try instead.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 54
I didn't find sigur ros to my liking, either. Still, for every recommendation I don't like, I usually find one I do like, so it's worthwhile to keep trying them out.

Dec 20, 2002 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
...sigur ros is for the depressed, the lovers, and the people who really really love kid a....

i meet all those criteria... seriously.
confused.gif

i don't think i've ever tried so hard to like a cd. it just all seemed so perfect for me and it just never came together. usually strange or different music is right up my alley. oh well. i think i'll try it again over speakers. sometimes that makes a difference.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #5 of 54
I downloaded one live video of theirs, i don't know the name of it...but i thought they sucked big time.

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I downloaded one live video of theirs, i don't know the name of it...but i thought they sucked big time.

was it because the lead singer wasn't doing the jerry's kids dance with his legs? or sweating profusely and shaking due to being high on cocaine?
very_evil_smiley.gif

they're definitely not for everybody. sorry you can't get into it redshifter. my only idea would be that maybe you put the album aside for a month, a year, a decade, whatever. so many albums i've just let sit and in another stage of my life, they make perfect sense.

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 54
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
....sigur ros is for the depressed, the lovers, and the people who really really love kid a....

[/size]Well, I ain't depressed, but I really do dig this album. I also have their album ágætis byrjun, and totally dig that one, too. I can see, however, how opinions go one way or the other, with few in between, when it comes to this album -- just as with, as you mentioned, Radiohead's Kid A, which, to me, is a masterpiece.

Dec 21, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 54
redshifter,

I agree with grinch, try it again when its some other time and place, its an album that can go from being bland and uninvolving to amazing.

( ), to me, is a strange trip down a foggy road. There's no other way for me to explain it...

carlo.

Dec 21, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
redshifter,

I agree with grinch, try it again when its some other time and place, its an album that can go from being bland and uninvolving to amazing.

( ), to me, is a strange trip down a foggy road. There's no other way for me to explain it...

carlo.

i can tell there's something in there, perhaps it's like reading tolkien, you have to be in the right place for the magic to take hold.

it also could be the type of music that just doesn't decode properly in my brain over headphones. i have an lp of steve reich's music remixed by djs (reich remixed). it's a great double album, but there is one remix that always just grated on my nerves... until i listened to it on speakers. the repetitions that seemed so monotonous on headphones resolved into intricate rhythmic patterns over speakers. the peice suddenly made sense, and i liked it for the first time. it could be that with headphones i'm just not seeing the forest for the trees on (). i'll give it another shot on my speakers in a few weeks.

right now i'm still getting into my new boards of canada lp "music has the right to children".

Dec 21, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 54
sorry to read that redshifter, I have to say that sigur ros is one of the very few bands that I fell in love with after hearing just one of their songs. now I have all three of their albums and can't get enough of it. I hear that seeing them live is just an awesome experience, I hope someday that I'll be able to see it for myself!

Dec 21, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #12 of 54
Tried to enjoy this band and found myself growing bored too.

I'll be sticking to Bjork, Cocteau Twins, some other stuff I can't recall right now (it's late) for my ethereal kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back