Another Overhelmed Newbie Looking for a Rec. I hate me too!
Aug 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jwdjwd67

New Head-Fier
Generally have never liked IEMs cause they slide out of my greasy italian ears! :) But I want something low profile to enjoy. Currently my portable can are JVC HA-s500's modded to the hilt but I want something even lower profile. My preferences are Transparency, Neutrality, Soundstage, (I loved my Martin Logans back when I was into speakers) $200 +/- if possible. I listen to mostly Jazz, Classic or Folk Rock. The new Van Morrison Astral Weeks 24/192 at HD Tracks is amazing, I like that!  My Source is the Colorfly C4. BTW- I love my AKG Q701's (with Zu Mobius Cables) especially for the money I spent. Any help out there? The buying guides and ratings pages sent my head spinning. Thanks for putting up with us. :)
regards
jeff

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Might want to try comply foams if it's sliding out of your ear. I had the Q701 on two different occasions and quite enjoyed it. The IEMs that I can relate to it are closer to doubled your price range so sadly, I won't be much help. Westone 4r is pretty neutral so many a cheaper model that Westone has to offer will fit your needs. Good luck with your search!

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
What about the HiFiMan RE272? Joker review sounded like what I am looking for? Opinions? :)

RE272 measures quite neutral.  Other ideas include an Etymotic HF5/HF3/HF2 or a Phonak PFE 1xx (with grey filters).  The W4 wasn't neutral to my ears, it was balanced pretty well though :wink:  The Westone W2 alsmo measures pretty close to neutral as well. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 5
It was down to the Westones 2 and the Hifiman RE2727 and I pulled the trigger on the RE272's. Hopefully I wont regret it. It is my first foray into non-garbage IEM. :)  Should be here Monday. Thanks very much for to the commentors for the the thoughtful assistance.
regards
jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back