Another newbie's what-to-do-with-no-$ question
Jul 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bill in MD

New Head-Fier
Hi there: I've just signed up, after a lot of poking around in various forums trying to figure out which way to go. I had a pair of what seemed like pretty good no-name noise-canceling headphones (branded Brookstone but obviously they didn't make 'em) that died a while back. So I'm looking to replace them, with a maximum price tag of $100.

Details:
Music: 90% classical music, otherwise podcasts and a music miscellany that never gets very head-bangy
Source: New iPod classic
Environment: Mostly taking walks, either outdoors or on a home treadmill; otherwise mowing the lawn, other yardwork, vacuuming the house, that kind of stuff.
Other: 1) I wear glasses, 2) I have a fairly large head, 3) Isolation is certainly a consideration, but sound leakage isn't

What I don't want:
Earbuds
Portable amp

I think noise-canceling will be a requirement, but if something will cut down the outside noise a lot without the NC I'm certainly willing to consider it.

I hope I'm not asking the same thing that 47 others have asked in the past week, but if so I apologize. My thanks in advance!

Bill.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
I've owned the Panasonic HC-150 and you don't want them. What do you mean by classical? Classical rock or what? Grados are supposed to be good for rock.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 8
After doing a boatload of reading, I'm coming back to this thread just to clarify and emphasize that: 1) I do not want IEMs or anything like them; 2) the more outside noise is eliminated the better, whether through ANC or just really good isolation, but 3) I also do not expect complete removal of outside sounds...just significant attenuation; 4) sound leakage is not a concern; 5) second-hand is fine with me. Otherwise my original post above pretty much says it all.

Again my thanks in advance! Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back