Another N00b looking for advice: DAC+amp around $500 for ATH-A900
Feb 18, 2013 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

enkidu

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

A long time subscriber, I really benefitted from the experience back when I joined while researching my first pair of good headphones. I love the Audio Technica ATH-A500's I got after much research. Later I upgraded to the ATH-A900 (which I absolutely love). I later augmented with a total bithead which definitely made things better.

Now I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I'm looking keep the ATH-A900's and upgrade my DAC+amp. Max budget of $500, but cost effectiveness is important. Looking to keep things solid state. I'll be running this rig at work attached to a MacBook Air, direct via USB or optical out. A few candidates setups that have caught my fancy (prices are my estimation shipped)

DAC options:

1. ODAC ($150): Might be a good option with a good price/performance ratio.
  2. Schiit Modi ($100): A new comer with a great reputation and might be the best price/performance ratio.
  3. FiiO E17 ($140): Fancier DAC with portable usage. Might be all I need to step up from the BitHead.
  4. Audioengine D1 ($170): Possibly the most "commercial" of the 4 DAC units; dunno much about it. Includes a built in headphone amp which could probably drive my low impedance headphones pretty easily.

I think the Modi might hit the best price performance ratio for a pure DAC, but I can't connect headphones to it.

Vendor matched Amp+DAC options

1. O2 + ODAC (~$270-300): Looks like a good mid range option. Kind of a DIY without the D :).
  2. FiiO E17 + E09K (~$260): Another possibility. Seems like a sensible popular choice.
  3. Schiit Modi + Magni (~$220) : Supposedly punches way above its weight class. Looks cool.
  4. Schiit Modi + Asgard 2|Valhalla ($370-470) : Getting into welterweight territory here. I kinda feel like I'd need to upgrade my headphones if I'm going to take advantage of this kind of a setup.
  5. Headroom Micro Amp + DAC ($480): On sale right now. My impression is that the DAC unit's USB chip might be a bit long in the tooth. However, I prefer to listen to the bithead with the crossfeed circuit engaged and this combo offers a built in cross feed circuit. And driving the DAC off of  TOS link would bypass the USB chip.
  6. Headroom Desktop Amp + DAC ($600): On sale right now. Given enough *encouragement* I could be convinced that it might be worth it. But if I consider $600, then...
  7. Schiit Bifrost + Asgard 2 ($620): this combo comes into play also with a mini->tos cable from the MacBook Air.

Mix-n-match options:

1. Schiit Modi + Meier Rock or Jazz ($350-$500): The Modi + Jazz would probably blow my budget a bit. But this combo might be the ticket, especially when (uhm, I mean IF) I decide to upgrade my cans. The crossfeed option puts this a bit ahead of the other options except for the Headroom Amp combo.
  2. Schiit Modi +Headroom Micro Amp ($350): I feel like this would be pretty good WRT to price+performance. But Headroom amps don't seem to get much love around here.
  3. Schiit Bifrost + Meier Jazz ($750): Budget buster.  probably waaay past the point of diminishing returns here. But I'm sure it would kick butt.
  4. Schiit Modi + Meier Corda Classic ($800): Might be another price performance hi point, especially since I probably wouldn't need to upgrade the Classic at least through two or three headphone upgrade cycles. But waaaaay out of budget here.

I think the standout combinations are in increasing price:
  1. Audioengine D1 alone (< $200)
  2. the Modi + Magni pair (< $250)
  3. Modi + Headroom Micro Amp (<=$350)
  4. the Modi + Meier Jazz (< $500)
  5. the Modi + Corda Classic. (> $500)

What say you guys? I'm open to all suggestions except for two: getting open back headphones since I work in a cubicle with lots of external noise and doubling/tripling/quadrupling my budget.

Sigh, after all this, I might have to upgrade my headphones also... What am I doing here again?

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 5
probably the objective combo. The 5x gain on the modi  might be too much (and it's set, 1 gain only). The objective has 2 gains (2.5 and 6). At lower parts of the knob, there will be imbalance on both, so the objective is your best bet. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks! I really appreciate it. The Objective2 and ODAC combo looks like a great choice. I'm not sure that you mean by "imbalance in both"; do you mean that at low volume (higher attenuation), left-right will be imbalanced?

I'd be giving up a cross feed option though, I'm ruminating over the O2+ODAC and the Modi and Headroom Micro amp combo.

Feb 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate it. The Objective2 and ODAC combo looks like a great choice. I'm not sure that you mean by "imbalance in both"; do you mean that at low volume (higher attenuation), left-right will be imbalanced?

I'd be giving up a cross feed option though, I'm ruminating over the O2+ODAC and the Modi and Headroom Micro amp combo.

In the lower parts of the volume knob, there'll be a channel imbalance for both the magni and the O2. So, w/ the 2.5x gain, you'll be able to use the better parts (higher parts) of the pot. So yes, you're correct. 

As for the crossfeed, you might be better off saving a $100. There's usually crosstalk between the channels, so I don't think you'd be bothered by it. Looked at wikipedia and it says that early stereo recordings had instruments panned on one side and panned on the other. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks! I really appreciate it. I feel that the Meier Jazz with it's stepped+switched attenuator design would reduce the imbalance issue, but then I think I'd be a bit deeper in this rabbit hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back