Another "help me pick my next headphones" thread: Bass without killing the mids and highs for $100-200
Mar 17, 2013 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

crazyion

New Head-Fier
Hey I'm a long time lurker but just made this account to ask my first question on here.  I'm looking for a set of cans that will be good in the bass department without completely destroying all other areas.  I mainly listen to hip hop and a little bit of electronic stuff, but I would also like something that is delicate enough to play some lighter music every once in a while and still be able to hear nice highs and mids.  I've been looking into the Ultrasone brand and in particular the hifi 780's as well as the DJ1 pros.  They are both around 150 currently on amazon and this is about top of my price range, possibly 200 if I find a really nice pair worth the extra cash.  I will just be listening to these from my phone/laptop with no amp for the time being so I will need something that sounds good without the added amp, and preferably is at least somewhat plausible to be worn around my campus or in the library without looking completely absurd and awkwardly huge on my head.  I was also looking at the SR80s from grado as possibly a nice entry-level set to compare the more expensive sets to and see if the extra cash is really worth it.  Any input on ultrasones or Grados, or any other set that may be able to deliver nice bass with decent mids and highs as well for $100-200 would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Grados are open. It means that others will hear your music, possibly quite loudly.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 5
Grado should be dead last on your your list if you mainly listen to hiphop.
Good bass without killing the mids and highs? Try the UE 6000.

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Grado should be dead last on your your list if you mainly listen to hiphop.
Good bass without killing the mids and highs? Try the UE 6000.

Ok good to know.  I have mainly been looking at the Ultrasone brand and recently spotted the Grados, but after a little more searching around and you response I feel these are not the ones for me.  I will have to check out the UE 6000s though.  Anyone have any experience with the 780s and the DJ1 pros and can speculate on their pros and cons compared to each other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back