Another Guy With His Experiences Of X-Cans And 580's !!
Jan 30, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #46 of 57
Tube rolling the X-Can was fun. Finding out it was no better than the headphone jack on my CD player wasn't. My experiences mirror those of Chadbang's: Why bother if it only sounds as good as a great headphone jack? The value equation kicks in when listening to other sources such as TV, PC, and MP3. The X-Can is capable of bringing these sources up to dedicated CD player status.

The X-Cans should be considered only under the following circumstances:

* Use primarily with Sennheiser 580/600 headphones
* Want a decent amp at a sub-$200 price point
* Want other sources like MP3, PC, portable CD player, and PC CD player to sound as good as a dedicated component CD player's headphone jack

I think that sums it up pretty well. Head-Fi needs an amp FAQ with this sort of information.

Jan 30, 2002 at 12:32 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Head-Fi needs an amp FAQ with this sort of information.

What a ludicrous opinion. I disagree.

Let's have a discussion about it.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 1:12 PM Post #48 of 57
Didn't realize it's Perfectionist checking in with his own thoughts on the X-cans--would have checked in much earlier in this thread if I had known--congrats Perfectionist
smily_headphones1.gif

This board is already a very mild place, and people's opinions are usually stated in a very gentle and polite way--as are the posts on this thread. You have to take people disagreeing with you as part of everyday life on this forum (did I say that? Geez, I must live here or something
eek.gif
) and if you want to stand by your opinion, be prepared to fight for it
eek.gif
especially if it is a contentious opinion or even minority group opinion!

I have got my fair share of mud-in-the-face with my advocacy of equalizers
eek.gif
Well that isn't going to stop me
tongue.gif
I would say, in most other forums if I had such a minority opinion stated as strongly as it is on Head-Fi I would have to become an all-time flame warrior
eek.gif

Hey, how come you get to adjust the volume on the CDP instead of on the amp? You didn't plug the X-can into the headphone out or anything did you?
eek.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 30, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
And if I had heeded the undercurrent running through the comments about the X-Can V2 on Audioreview (and some people bold enough to be honest here at Head-fi),

Chadbang, I don't think that's a fair statement -- it implies that no one would actually like the X-CANv2, and that only the people who criticize it are "honest." Many people actually like the amp, and they don't post positive reviews of it to be lemmings. They simply have a different view of the amp than you do.

Also, as I mentioned above, after hearing the X-CANv2 with several different sources, I found it to be pretty finicky -- it's quite possible that your system simply didn't mesh well with it.

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
The X-Cans should be considered only under the following circumstances:

* Use primarily with Sennheiser 580/600 headphones
* Want a decent amp at a sub-$200 price point
* Want other sources like MP3, PC, portable CD player, and PC CD player to sound as good as a dedicated component CD player's headphone jack

I think that sums it up pretty well. Head-Fi needs an amp FAQ with this sort of information.

I also think that is an inaccurate characterization, for the same reasons I mentioned to chadbang, above. I've heard it in systems where it made a HUGE difference, and I've heard it in systems where it didn't make much difference at all. It depends on a) how good your "stock" component hp jack is; and b) how well the X-CANv2 meshes with your system as a whole.

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #52 of 57
X-Can with X-PSU is a different animal. The amp *needs* power. Oddly, this does not appear in Nick's summary of it.

I just put a pair of Sovtek's in, in place of the JJ's I had been using. To my amazement, this worked. The high's are much more open, and none of the midrange has been lost. If I had made a decision based on a "FAQ", I might have stuck with the JJ's and not tried the Sovtek's...and that would have been my loss.

My experience is that the X-Can is one of the best amps out there to drive Sennheisers, IF you set it up properly and have a decent source and cables.

While I'm getting used to the ZOTL, the X-Can is running off of the DI/O attached to my computer. Sounds pretty damn good, even playing mp3's.

I also tells it like I sees it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2002 at 6:27 AM Post #53 of 57
Odd? What's odd to me is why someone would pay $200 for an X-Can, $200 for an X-PSU, and $25 for new tubes.

$425 is Melos territory, and certainly more than a MG Head OTL with new tubes.

Glad to hear the Sovteks work for you. I found their characteristics to be a bit on the lean side, but perhaps this is more evidence that your own ears are the only measuring stick that can be trusted.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:20 AM Post #55 of 57
You're right MacDef. That wasn't really a fair statement. I know that there are people who like the X-Can and have made it work for themselves. Everyone's ears are different. Everyone's opinion is different. But after I flamed the X-Can, it certainly seemed like more people came out of the woodwork about disliking the amp that hadn't been that "forthright" before. I didn't mean they were only being "honest" if they didn't like the X-Can. I meant that they only chimed in with their real thoughts once it was established I was dissatisfied with my purchase and they felt they could then be "open" about their own feelings. Or perhaps they had been open about them before, but their comments were buried deep in the bowels of the forums. I only wish I would have read those negative thoughts before I purchased it. Hence, I will be "honest" whenever anyone runs a thread about the X-Can and openly express my dislike of it, in what I believe may be a service to others by helping them to consider another purchase.

Of course it will soon be discontinued, so I guess the point is moot.

Be careful; it's a debate out there...

Jan 31, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Odd? What's odd to me is why someone would pay $200 for an X-Can, $200 for an X-PSU, and $25 for new tubes.

Perhaps because it's worth it, once you get it set up correctly with good supporting components?

My guess is that somewhat greater than 50% of the sonic attributions made on Head-Fi actually have little to do with the actual component being talked about (I'm including myself in this). I've heard what the X-Can can do, and listen to it regularly. In the right setup, it's a great sounding amp.

So, my response when someone reports that the X-Can is not a great sounding amp would be to fiirst determine if their sonic priorities in any way resemble mine. If so, I'd then look at the whole setup and try and figure out what part of the system is not meshing properly with the amp.

I haven't heard the Melos or the MG head OTL, so I'll reserve judgement on them.

Jan 31, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

I haven't heard the Melos or the MG head OTL, so I'll reserve judgement on them.

Aha... so that explains it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I do wish I had a chance to listen to a "PSU-ed" X-Cans. I will admit that female vocals were a teensy bit sweeter than with the MG Head OTL (which isn't broken in yet). However, everything else simply sounds better with the MG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back