Another gaming headphone question =)
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a pair of YH-1 orthos for gaming...I imagine you'd hate them, though. Heavy, supra-aural, and out of production for thirty-odd years. Still, they do a great job of communicating sound direction.

An ortho for gaming? The two I've had experience with (Fostex T40RPmkII current gen and a YH-2) had less than average soundstage and positioning.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #18 of 43
If you have bottomless pockets and want THE best gaming headphone....get yourself the beyerdynamic MMX 300. It's basically the DT 770 with a mic. I did a ton of searching before I found these. By far the best quality gaming can around.
beyersmile.png

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #19 of 43
holy crap LOL

well, my pockets do have bottoms, my max i want to spend is like $125, higher if its going to last

also if you didnt read, i use a desktop mic, so i am looking for HEADPHONES, not a HEADSET.

Jul 15, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 43
I guess i havent been clear. here are some specifics that i want:

general:

-excellent soundstage

-closed

-comfortable for long uses

-no amp needed

-no microphone needed

-looks "decent" (not really nerdy ;D )

-noise cancelling, but not like total block out (not necessary)

specifics:

-under $150

-Circumaural

Jul 15, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #22 of 43
well i mean a few hours at a time, not like 10 hours haha =)

my current cans are decent at this, but it seems i can get a better quality and a higher soundstagged pair of cans for gaming

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 43
This is pretty tricky as you don't want a headset and you want supra-aural & closed AND you want it to be under $150 ... and well, let's face it, soundstages on this kinda phones aren't excellent.

Stretch your budget to $175 and get Sennheiser HD 25-1?
Those really are awesome gaming headphones, comfy too with the velour pads. Maybe you can get used ones for under $150, shouldn't be too hard.

Jul 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobija /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is everyone's say in this? i would love a gamers opinon.

I have 2 pairs of headphones.

Sennheiser HD205's, and Sony MDR-V6's. Neither are perfect and in some paces, the 205 beats the V6.

One of these is positioning. Based on the quality of sound I get from the V6, I am convinced this is semi-natural to closed designs. I'd reccomend something good with an open approach if you can tolerate using them.

MDR-V series headphones have 0 soundstage, which means no positioning.

If I was in the mood for gaming, I'd look for headphones that had good MIDS (a lot of gaming where accuracy is required, the sounds you're listening to are mids) and an open setup. Something with a praised soundstage is what you're after, because you want something that clearly and effectively places the sound source in your game. If you're running around in CSS with MDR-V6's, the only positioning queue you have is distance based on volume.

That's my gamer take on it. Now a headphone guru needs to process that and spit out some good recommendation.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 43
Would I be able to sneak in a couple of Qs here?

I'm looking (like the OP) for some headphones that offer a combination of great imaging, soundstage and transparency.
I'm a bit of a headphone newbie (helped by the definition glossary!), will strengths in the attributes above give fantastic positioning?

common recommendations are the HD55 and AD700, but how do the K601s compare with regards to the positional accuracy?
The UK prices suggest the following.
HD555 < AD700 < K601 - would this be a correct assumption?

Sorry to the OP, I know the K601s are open and also recommended to be amped so my post was a bit off topic - if you'd like me to remove my post let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Werm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have bottomless pockets and want THE best gaming headphone....get yourself the beyerdynamic MMX 300. It's basically the DT 770 with a mic. I did a ton of searching before I found these. By far the best quality gaming can around.
beyersmile.png

No. Why if he had endless pocket would he chose that when he could get the real thing... And with mic
smily_headphones1.gif

QPAD rolls out new high-end gaming headset

I tried them on today and man the comfort... Even better then the stock DT 770 and really nice mic. Of course who on earth would pay 400$ for a DT 770 I will never know though
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #28 of 43
Guys, he doesn't want a headset, he want's headphones, he already has a desktop mic and he prefers headphones + desktop mic over a headset.

Jeez.

Though when you say -no amp needed and -no mic needed, one easily misunderstands (if they haven't read that you have a desktop mic) that you mean you want a headphone that doesn't need an external mic because it already has one, ie. it's a headset
tongue.gif

Some people will just skip other messages, see your list and recommend a headset
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobija /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean if its really nessessary, i can go to around $175, but thats the MAX
normal_smile .gif

Well then the HD 25-1 could definitely be it, maybe you could try it someplace? Got any good hifishops around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back