Another gaming headphone question =)
Jul 13, 2009 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

cobija

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, and i am back. i had a previous thread up about me wanting gaming headphones and all the people here did very well in teaching me new headphone terms, companies, etc. But after I was suggested the Denon AHD1001 headphones, i realized after all what people posted were that the headphones were on-ear headphones. It would be great if i got some over the ear headphone suggestions (i currently have them). I am a little scared to "downgrade" sizes (maybe downgrade doesnt mean downgrade in performance)

So yeah, anyone with both On ear and over the ear headphones that prefer one over the other should post here. I also am using this for primarily home use, i can just use my current headphones for traveling.

here is my old link for anyone wanting to see:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-i-get-432323/

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 43
The Denons are not on ear they totally cover your ears. I'm not sure why some places are calling them on ear. They are Circumaural not Supra-aural. Check out the wiki on headphopnes to get some good info.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons are not on ear they totally cover your ears. I'm not sure why some places are calling them on ear. They are Circumaural not Supra-aural. Check out the wiki on headphopnes to get some good info.

well, it seems to make more sense since majority of people use them for traveling (ive read a few posts here and they said its for outside use)

well anyway, they looked like they went around the ear in the pictures but i was just being sure.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It depends on your ear size. For me they're somewhat supra-aural. I wouldn't be able to game with them.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by cobija /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wouldnt say my ears are big, but they are not small, they are pretty average =)

honestly, you need to try before you buy. Find a local store that carries these if you can.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 43
Almost any good pair of headphones will do. This is just as personal as with a music headphone. FWIW, I love my HD650's for gaming, using them out of an 0404USB.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 43
Heya,

So you already have a microphone/don't need one? Because after modding my Sennheiser PC 350, I really cannot recommend any other circumaural headset more for gaming (those who are interested, see my sig for link to the mod thread). With a good source, they're already kickass for gaming, and with this mod (+wool filling +hd 595 pads) and a proper amp, they go really well for any other use aswell, movies/music, they really do perform close to the HD 595, it's like getting a free bloody good mic for free and the possibility to switch back to the pleather pads for that good isolation
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, as others have already told you, a good headphone is good for gaming too. If you don't use a microphone or you already have a good clip-on mic or something, then the PC 350 can arguably fall short of what for example the Denon AH-D1001K can do.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ATH-AD700 for gaming. Hands down. But it's open if that matters to you.

How are they with a microphone? Does the sound leakage affect it a lot?

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 43
I use a pair of YH-1 orthos for gaming...I imagine you'd hate them, though. Heavy, supra-aural, and out of production for thirty-odd years. Still, they do a great job of communicating sound direction.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 43
When I played world of warcraft (quit after burning crusades) or CS source, I used a Plantronics .Audio 350. It was ok but I was wanting something with better soundstage. I decided on getting an ATH-AD700 for gaming. FWIR you can hear the positioning better, but then I forgot all about the mic.
ksc75smile.gif
I just plan on getting a clip-on mic. Right now I play left4dead and I am just waiting for the AD700 to show up at my doorstep, can't wait to hear how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back