(another) First time headphones thread
Jul 15, 2010 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

luvs2squizz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at the DBI 700 vs. JVC HAS 700 vs. JVC HARX700
Obviously I'm on a tight budget so feel free to recommend others keeping price in mind or let me know if a good deal for the SR-60 comes up

I listen to all kinds of music so I'm trying to pick out which one will be the most versatile
I'm hoping to rediscover the Led Zepplin discography and still be able to expand more into techno and metal (and maybe some hip-hop)
My favorite artists are Led Zeppelin, The Who, Steely Dan, Suspyre, Infected Mushroom
I don't care about closed/open or portability, just what sounds best

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 31
I'd go for the DBI's since they're actually a $200 headphone, while the other two are budget headphones that sound better than their price tag. The DBI's just seem hard to beat in this regard. They should also be excellent for the music you mention. If you're patient enough you could wait for a good deal on a Grado to pop up on  the For Sale forum or ebay.

Jul 16, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 31
I've never heard the AKG K81DJ but a lot of people seem to like them and consider them a great entry level choice. Some people complain they have too much bass and are a bit muddy sounding.

Do you have an idea of what kind of sound you are looking for? Do you like a lot of bass? Would you prefer a warm sounding headphone or do you like more of a bright, detailed sound? Is soundstage important?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #9 of 31
I really recommend Monster Turbines...theyre 150 but u can bargain with one call for about 100

Jul 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #15 of 31
I suggest the HA-S650, it meets ur criteria except for a very aggressive sound and soundstage. It's fairly priced too.

238 sounds nice too! And there is the PX100-II or Koss Porta Pro, great starter phones.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502546/jvc-ha-s650-review-pics#post_6795625

Users who are viewing this thread

Back