Another excellent NY meet..........
Jun 21, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #121 of 292
Yeah, i think it was the argyle. it took about an hour wait to get seats and have our food delivered on the table!

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #122 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Was that the Argyle? I snuck out for lunch and had a tuna steak sandwich and a Blue Point Toasted Lager there (OK, two lagers). It was pretty good, especially the white balsamic vinagrette they served with the salad.

That sure sounds like the place! Classy joint, they even turned the lights down for some mood right before our gourmet burgers/pasta/soup came...what were they trying to tell us?

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #123 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Was that the Argyle? I snuck out for lunch and had a tuna steak sandwich and a Blue Point Toasted Lager there (OK, two lagers). It was pretty good, especially the white balsamic vinagrette they served with the salad.

When did you have time to eat?

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #124 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara

That's what I want to know! I know the folks who grabbed pizza before the meet were all itching to run back and get back to the cans!

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #125 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
There was an Alehouse right behind the meeting hall on the other side of the parking lot - we grabbed the grub there!

Btw Mjg's recabled MS-2 was done by Headphile - was that a Blacksilver recable?

awesome, good beer i presume?

Yessah, black silver. I can only wonder if blackmax would made a difference.
Oski is going to find out for us, right ?? ; )

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #126 of 292
Great pictures, Ian!
Thanks a lot!
580smile.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #127 of 292
Quote:

I was hungry around 2:45 so I thought I could grab a sandwich at the bagel place. Unfortunately, they were closing up shop so I ducked into the bar for a bite. I ate at the bar and service was very quick.

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #128 of 292
Did anyone compare Mikhail's electrostatic amp to the other ones?

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #129 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Did anyone compare Mikhail's electrostatic amp to the other ones?

That amp is an interesting thing. It has outputs for both Stax & Sennheiser HE90 electrostatic headphones, as well as balanced XLR-outs for dynamic headphones with balanced cables.

I only tried it with the HE90's, and had a few qualms:

1. There was a strange crackling sound that occurred at various points while turning the volume pot. This remained and did not stop while music was playing. Turning the pot a hair in either direction might stop the problem only to have it occur a millimeter later!
2. Volume level only approached listenable near the highest pot setting. Even turned all the way up, the sound was about normal listening level for me. To me this indicates the amp is maxed out - not good, imo.

The HEV90 (Orpheus) amp, when driven by the same source (Meitner SACD), had no such problems and was absolutely pure bliss.

I regret not having the time to discuss the amp with Mikhail to point out my impressions.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #130 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
What place did you guys eat? Digging the artwork.
All you guys shoulda gone in wearing headphones, and taken pictures in there.
Damn that woulda been funny, seeing you sit their with the qualia on your head; )

If they made Jahn remove his hat, we would have needed headphone stands, when they told us to remove them
tongue.gif

Erik...It was Argyle's. The guys were getting impatient, and wanted to find somewhere else, but I said, "Look, this place was recommended by Erikzen, and that's good enough for me!"
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #131 of 292
I blame Erikzen!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #132 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
That amp is an interesting thing. It has outputs for both Stax & Sennheiser HE90 electrostatic headphones, as well as balanced XLR-outs for dynamic headphones with balanced cables.

I only tried it with the HE90's, and had a few qualms:

1. There was a strange crackling sound that occurred at various points while turning the volume pot. This remained and did not stop while music was playing. Turning the pot a hair in either direction might stop the problem only to have it occur a millimeter later!
2. Volume level only approached listenable near the highest pot setting. Even turned all the way up, the sound was about normal listening level for me. To me this indicates the amp is maxed out - not good, imo.

The HEV90 (Orpheus) amp, when driven by the same source (Meitner SACD), had no such problems and was absolutely pure bliss.

I regret not having the time to discuss the amp with Mikhail to point out my impressions.

Jimmy,

One of the tubes went bad at about 3:00 O'clock (when I had a chance to listen). I replaced them and all was well again. The gain was reduced and some noise was caused due to this. Normal listening should be at about 12:00 as we build the volume attenuators to set the level in the center of the dial, this gives the best range for volume selection and allows the whole dial to be used. The volume control is set up at 62 db total attenuation with 1.5 db steps in the center.

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #133 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
If they made Jahn remove his hat, we would have needed headphone stands, when they told us to remove them
tongue.gif

Erik...It was Argyle's. The guys were getting impatient, and wanted to find somewhere else, but I said, "Look, this place was recommended by Erikzen, and that's good enough for me!"
icon10.gif

I believe what was said to Jahn was "i am sorry sir but we do not allow hats on saturday nights"

Jun 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #134 of 292
Other than the fact that they required a modicum of manners, I hope the place was alright - especially since you went on my recommendation.

I'm really bummed I didn't have the hybrid head working at the meet. I've been listening since last night and I think it sounds pretty sweet. I would like to have heard the opinions of some of the more experienced tube aficionados. I know it doesn't compare to some of the high end tube offerings but it seems like a nice complement for cans such as the DT 931 (and possibly SR-225?) that tend towards being bright.

The amp seems to combine good, solid, tight, deep bass, with a smooth midrange and treble, that doesn't sacrifice too much on the detail side. The extra bit of harmonic distortion adds warmth to the midrange and sounds good with guitars recorded with modern effects (such as digital distortion) but sounds a little too dirty with guitars using vintage tube amplifiers, i.e. Tom Morello vs. John MacLaughlin. I'm going to need a lot more time with this amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #135 of 292
Quote:

I believe what was said to Jahn was "i am sorry sir but we do not allow hats on saturday nights"

Damned Long Island! And this was only the South Shore, too. Good thing we didn't have the meet someplace like Oyster Bay. They probably would have stopped us at the border.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back