Another DRM reason not to buy a Zune
May 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 27
iPhone has very less storage space....also the iPodtouch.

more money per storage.
hence i am still using iPod 5Gen 30GB.

& can u tell me why people hate iPod?
new on head-fi :p

May 8, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how 'content filtering' could work on a portable device anyway, I mean technically. Either the system would be so easily defeatable as to be essentially useless, or if aggressive enough to be useful it would likely get in the way of legitimate activity. Either option wouldn't be worth pursuing.

This is exactly the problem. Suppose you like to play guitar, sing and write music. Say you recorded yourself and want to listen to it on your Zune. Most likely, the Zune would nuke your OWN music that you own 100% legally because you don't have some encryption key Microsoft only gives to Big Music. They won't give keys to singer/songwriters because you could use it to legitimize copyrighted content passed through an analog hole.

So the DRM would either be ineffective or lock out legal content. That's the problem.

I don't hate the Zune, either. It's always amusing to watch Microsoft waste money on something that isn't going to break into the marketplace. Their products remind me of the Johnny-come-lately Soviet approach. Any time the West came out with an innovative, successful product, about three years later the Soviets would come out with a crappified version that sorta looked like the Western product.

May 9, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 27
Well since everyone was too lazy too follow the link, here is a quote from a Zune Team member:

We have seen some chatter in the blogosphere over the last 24 hours around a couple of posts speculating about what Zune may or may not do in terms of putting content filtering features directly into the Zune family of devices in future releases.

We know you guys are following this discussion closely, and wanted to be absolutely clear on this issue:

We have no plans or commitments to implement any new type of content filtering in the Zune devices as part of our content distribution deal with NBC.

We think some folks in the industry were expressing hopes for how the entire industry, not just Microsoft, would come to look at content distribution, and some speculation has ensued. Again, no plans are in place toward this end.

I hope this clears up any confusion on the topic, and that you can now go back to enjoying the spring update
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #21 of 27
hey Surfer....just dont waste your time.

May 9, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #22 of 27
from the updated nytimes blog:

Quote:

It’s worth noting that Mr. Perrette told me that Microsoft committed to explore filtering; he didn’t say it committed to implementing those filters.

Here is what Mr. Sohn, the Microsoft spokesman, told me yesterday when I asked him about what Mr. Perrette said: “I don’t think they are wrong, but we are not going to characterize those discussions.” Later he added, “We have agreed to work with NBC across a range of topics, and protection of copyrighted material is certainly one of them.”

Leroy Jenkins, people don't care for the 3 days / 3 plays restriction on all wireless transfers. They also don't like how the microsoft team is bending over backwards for content providers in order to get their content. Microsoft pays Universal for every zune they sell, and now it looks like they are letting NBC walk all over them just so they can try to get a bigger sliver of the pie.

May 9, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #23 of 27
So if i compile my own music on Virtual DJ..

i cannot listen to it on Zune?

May 9, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #24 of 27
Cheers to NBC Universal for dumping iTunes pricing though. They want to sell older shows for less, newer shows for more, discounts for seasons... Almost sounds like a real working market instead of iTunes rigid stupidity.

May 9, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPhone has very less storage space....also the iPodtouch.

more money per storage.
hence i am still using iPod 5Gen 30GB.

& can u tell me why people hate iPod?
new on head-fi :p

i don't know about other people, but i don't like the iPod because of it's high price comparing to other, better, DAPs and it's mediocre sound quality. other than that i think it's kind of cool- i like the interface and such.

May 9, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know about other people, but i don't like the iPod because of it's high price comparing to other, better, DAPs and it's mediocre sound quality. other than that i think it's kind of cool- i like the interface and such.

yeah ipod suxors. sound is beaten by anything out there. cowon, zen, iriver, meizu. there is nothing really that it is better at. you should see how well cowon and treikstore handle bass roll off compared to moder ipod.

damn apple think they belong in this war. that is what it is. apple are like the popular dog that had a nice smelling shyte and just some people preferred to shovel it compared to other vendors. well, that is over now. cowon and meizu and everyone else make much bigger and better shyte. especially, they advertizes the shyte like: audiophile and s/n = 90 etc. damn good shyte

Users who are viewing this thread

Back