Another DRM reason not to buy a Zune
May 7, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 27
Businesses trying to protect their creative product. Wouldn't you?

May 7, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 27
There are perfectly legal ways to get the said content onto your media player without buying from the store. You could record it off the air using something like WinTV or EyeTV, and import it into your player. When I was last on vacation in Vancouver, I would record "Eureka" on my home Mac in San Francisco with EyeTV, transfer the file over the Internet to my hotel room, save it on my iPod and watch it on the ferry. The Supreme Court set the precedent for this in its Betamax decision.

Short of inventing an Artificial Intelligence, any system Microsoft can come up with will be either ineffective, or cast too wide a net and prevent legal ("substantial noninfringing") uses.

It's one thing to install DRM to prevent unauthorized devices from playing your content, and another thing altogether to interfere with third-party content and prevent it from playing. Defending their rights doesn't give NBC Univeral free rein to do anything they want, or the right to impose the cost and burden of protecting their rights onto third parties.

May 8, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 27
May 8, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by yugiyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is it apply on 2rd gen zune only? or 1st gen also?

Neither

May 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 27
I'm not sure how 'content filtering' could work on a portable device anyway, I mean technically. Either the system would be so easily defeatable as to be essentially useless, or if aggressive enough to be useful it would likely get in the way of legitimate activity. Either option wouldn't be worth pursuing.

May 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are perfectly legal ways to get the said content onto your media player without buying from the store. You could record it off the air using something like WinTV or EyeTV, and import it into your player. When I was last on vacation in Vancouver, I would record "Eureka" on my home Mac in San Francisco with EyeTV, transfer the file over the Internet to my hotel room, save it on my iPod and watch it on the ferry. The Supreme Court set the precedent for this in its Betamax decision.

Short of inventing an Artificial Intelligence, any system Microsoft can come up with will be either ineffective, or cast too wide a net and prevent legal ("substantial noninfringing") uses.

It's one thing to install DRM to prevent unauthorized devices from playing your content, and another thing altogether to interfere with third-party content and prevent it from playing. Defending their rights doesn't give NBC Univeral free rein to do anything they want, or the right to impose the cost and burden of protecting their rights onto third parties.

I can see this side of it as well, making this a very thorny issue. I guess for me the big 'net' isn't that bothersome as viewing such content isn't very high on my priority list. The hit freedom takes is a serious consideration however, and IMO these companies need to have a lot of accountability levied on them.

May 8, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should check the hate on ipod first... it has taken the pie for that piece of headfi 'counterculture'

very true, but hate on the zune is usually by iPod owners.

reminds me of the other thread where an iPhone is recommended as a viable alternative to a cowon a3 i think. kind of ridiculous.

why can't we all get along

Users who are viewing this thread

Back